The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Default help deciding on upgrade video camera

not sure if this is the right place to post this but don't see another more appropriate

zoom Q 8 or Sony MDR V1

I am looking for a significant improvement over my Kodak ZI 8 in sound and video and flexible focus options. (and ease of making you tube videos
Not sure if these are the two main contenders in the $400 (new) and under category.
Any input would be appreciated.
robert
Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM

You might find some useful info in a comparison I did between the MV1 and Q4: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2015/...-sony-hdr-mv1/

I understand the Q4 is gone and the Q8 has moved down in price.

The XLR/TRS inputs on the Q8 are a huge feature if you use balanced mics. The detachable mic is another big deal, because even with the wide angle lenses of these two cameras the on-camera mic is still a bit far from the source.

One big difference between the Zoom and Sony is the video monitoring. The Zoom has an articulated screen so you can see your framing from your playing position, although the screen can be a bit small if you're some distance away. The Sony has WiFi connectivity to a smartphone or tablet so you can monitor and activate the video capture remotely. But without the remote device monitoring is a joke, with the screen mounted on the side of the cam and basically useless for framing.

Now, the bottom line - I don't use either of these cameras. I passed my Zoom along to a nephew and I plan to sell or pass along the Sony when I get around to it. The single biggest issue with both of them is the extreme wide angle lens. This wide angle of view makes it possible to position the camera very close to the subject, but it causes various kinds of visual distortion - straight lines become curved, features get distorted awkwardly.

Added to that, the video quality is not as good as a late generation smart phone, let alone a reasonable video camera or video-capable still camera. These will require a separate audio recording chain and sync in post, but the improvement in quality is worth it to me. I'm going to trim and title the clip anyway, so audio sync is just a few minutes of additional fiddling when I edit.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-16-2016, 01:39 PM

I bought one of these just before Christmas... little different than what you're looking at...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r600_full.html

Very pleased with its capability and video quality. Bit of a learning curve to the menu system, but easy to get the hang of it. It does have a MIC input (1/8" TRS) so an external mic can be used. Autofocus works well and can be manual focused using the touch screen.
Also bought a Zoom H4n for audio which can be synced to video.
So far as Youtube vids, mostly anything I've done is more software accomplished vs the camera having anything to do with it.

Sony MDR V1.... headphones???
This maybe..... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...camcorder.html
Old 01-16-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I understand the Q4 is gone and the Q8 has moved down in price.
Actually, the Q4 has just been updated.

We're not expecting to have them in stock until February at the earliest, however.

John
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 01-16-2016, 06:14 PM

Default oops on the title HDR MV 1

so many initials so little time.

Mark did you try the Canon for audio? with and without external mic?

Fran, thanks your videos were very helpful and now i'm not sure either of those are a big upgrade from my Kodak.
robert
Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post

robert
Internal mic isn't too good, but somewhat passable if close to the source. I've got a few mics from a previous camcorder, a shotgun and a stereo mic that sound better and I've also been playing around with some adapters to be able to use XLR connected mics into the R600's MIC input.
I got the Zoom H4n as a means to hopefully record better audio and then sync it to the Canon's video. Haven't had a chance to put this to the test as of yet.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
so many initials so little time.

Fran, thanks your videos were very helpful and now i'm not sure either of those are a big upgrade from my Kodak.
robert
That Zi8 isn't terrible, is it? When I was shooting the Zi8 and then the Zoom Q3HD I always thought I wanted a wider angle lens so I could get the camera, and thus the mics, closer to the source. But I wasn't aware of the visual distortion I would be trading off.

Something like the Canon R600 mentioned above seems pretty compelling if one is willing to do parallel audio or come up with an external mic solution. If you're using an external mic with your Zi8 that mic would probably do a good job with the Canon as well.

Fran
Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Actually, the Q4 has just been updated.

We're not expecting to have them in stock until February at the earliest, however.

John
Thanks for the heads up. They've tweaked the mic config and added a 3k video format. Still no WiFi and no 4K, though.

Fran
Old 01-17-2016, 12:20 AM

the ZI 8 is not bad....i am trying to do a good "live" recording in my studio and have tried the internal mic, a sony stereo mic and the Audio Technica 822 stereo but i'm not that happy yet with the sound....
would be nice to not have to do the external mic and i'm trying not to do a seperate audio and video
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
…Still no WiFi and no 4K, though.
Hi Fran…

Yes, if starting fresh today, I'd not buy anything which wasn't even at current YouTube or Television display standards (which computer screens, phone and tablet screens have exceeded for a while).

My iPhone 6s can shoot at 4K. For $100 per lens I could out-fit it with high quality telephoto, wide angle and/or macro lenses which have a twist on/off mount. And for sound, even a Zoom H1 would do the remote sound capture.

It's an awkward time for 'home' prosumer quality video.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM

checking in again to see if anyone has a camera that shoots well and sounds good
Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Started with a Q3. most of the videos on my YT channel were shot with it.

Upgraded (?) to a Q2HD (because I missed the Q3HD, wghich is fine but still has that silly tiny screen.

Then the Q4 came out - ridiculous price but suddenly reduced so bought one about a month ago- Ironically - this zoom product has no zoom- just two digital focal lengths both with barrel distortion, but it is easy to use.

What is it with Zoom, they keep changing the basic product line, and of course things take longer to get into the UK than in the USA - so the Q8 is now available but only just.

Whatever - it needs a zoom to go from very wide angle to medium, and a lens cap!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification