The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2015, 09:57 PM

I'm going to offer something in addition to recommendations.

I'm an electronic tech with 25 years experience. (NOT just an amp tech...vcr's, camcorders, etc.) In some local shop's defense..yes...it might not be worth repairing. BUT...if you can "shock" it into working? USUALLY that's a bad solder joint or a capacitor. A tech worth his salt can typically find the issue within 1-2 hours tops (and repaired and ready to go).

If you want to fix it...find a local "all electronics service shop". Those guys can fix anything with a schematic which is what we're trained to do. It can be hit or miss at a local music shop as you don't know their background.

All the best!
BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 12-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all that have replied including the idea about the repair. In either event, I have the fever now for a new amp, even if I fix the one I have. After doing a bit of research, I am smitten with the Carvin AG300 and the Schertler Jam100. I have played a Schertler a few years back at a shop, and I remember being impressed with how rich the sound was. I am finding the Carvin hard to find (sold out on their website), but I'll keep looking. I found a Schertler on EBay for $500.... What to do?!

I appreciate the comments.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:03 PM

I've gigged many places with the Fishman Loudbox mini. There is a reason so many of us recommend it. Its a great home amp and play parties amp too. Music sounds good through it also.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:50 PM

Since you are willing to consider a 100 watt amp, include a Carvin AG100 and a Carvin S400/S400D in your search. Ric
Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Don't pay too much attention to the website. Call Carvin. They make batches all the time, and usually have them available within a week. They only sell direct.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 AM

Nobody has mentioned the Roland AC60, it's a very good sounding acoustic guitar amp and should be only slightly over your $500. It's far more natural sounding than the Marshall (never buy an acoustic amp by a well known maker of electric guitar amps with few exceptions they sound too 'electric'). I Have it's little brother the AC33 for off grid gigs but the best sounding acoustic guitar amp out there is the AER Compact 60 (which I use for my plugged in gigs).
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM

Is this a pretty good demonstration of the difference one might expect, between the Loudbox Mini and the AER 60/3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr51Qj_4B04
Old 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Nobody has mentioned the Roland AC60, it's a very good sounding acoustic guitar amp and should be only slightly over your $500. It's far more natural sounding than the Marshall (never buy an acoustic amp by a well known maker of electric guitar amps with few exceptions they sound too 'electric'). I Have it's little brother the AC33 for off grid gigs but the best sounding acoustic guitar amp out there is the AER Compact 60 (which I use for my plugged in gigs).
I had an AER and it was wonderful except for the fact it did't get enough use, so I sold it. I had a chance to pick up an AC60 in brand new condition for $250. Very happy with it. Maybe not the projection and quality of an AER but works great for my use...At one time I had a Yorkville AM100 and it was a great amp also. A bit heavier than AC60 or AER, but nice sounding with nice big bass. With my AC60 I tried running a Behringer 208 powered monitor which I got really cheap. It adds a great lower end to the mix.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Since you are willing to consider a 100 watt amp, include a Carvin AG100 and a Carvin S400/S400D in your search. Ric
I had a Carvin AG100 years ago, and I would buy another one in a heartbeat today. It sounded incredibly good. I was involved in my church music group. They all loved the Carvin so much that I donated it to them when I moved away.

They even used the Carvin for solo vocalists because it sounded better than the house PA - which was not junk, BTW.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 PM

I'll second the votes for Carvin AG100. Owned and gigged with one from about 1995 till early 2000s. Sold in favor of something smaller and lighter, but I'm sure the one I sold is still out there being used. And used, I see them around $200. Handled vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass. All very well. Any one use could be done better (ie, with greater fidelity and richness of sound) but for much more $$...
Old 12-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Thanks to all that have replied including the idea about the repair. In either event, I have the fever now for a new amp, even if I fix the one I have. After doing a bit of research, I am smitten with the Carvin AG300 and the Schertler Jam100. I have played a Schertler a few years back at a shop, and I remember being impressed with how rich the sound was. I am finding the Carvin hard to find (sold out on their website), but I'll keep looking. I found a Schertler on EBay for $500.... What to do?!

I appreciate the comments.
I'm looking as well, in the same price point too. I am really torn. The only negative I heard about the Fishman Artist was in the vocal reproduction area which Is important to me because I want to use this amp for that as well.
Carvin and Schertler both excel as vocal units from what I can gather.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Yet another vote for Carvin!

I have the AG200 and absolutely love it. It is basically an outstanding three channel PA in a box with some very nice acoustic guitar oriented features.
I did some fun, interesting and informative comparisons today with my three main guitars (all with different pickups) into my Carvin AG200, both through my Red-Eye preamp, and directly into the amp. Moreover, so I could make a legitimate evaluation of the amplified tone, I listened through good headphones, and zeroed-out the amp's master volume (when we are playing the guitar, so much of what we hear at reasonable volume is the guitar itself).

Well, quite surprisingly (frankly), I got the best amplified tone from all three of the guitars going directly into the Carvin! So, I can only assume that the on-board acoustic preamp on the Carvin is top shelf!

For those interested, here are the Carvin setting that I found worked the best with each of the guitars. (Again, with all the guitars, this setting yielded a better tone than I could get through the Red-Eye [though the tone through the Red Eye, with the passive systems, was also very good to excellent]):
  • Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo with K&K Pure Mini - Hi-Z switch engaged, slight boost (2:00) to treble.
  • Martin 000-15 with DiMarzio Passive Angel soundhole pickup - Gain switch engaged, EQ flat (sounded stunning!)
  • Gibson J-50 with DTar WaveLength Load-n-Lock V/T - Everything flat, with tone on guitar rolled back by about 1/3. Incredible tone for an UST. Also, the
    WaveLength is just too hot for the Red-Eye...Straight into the amp is HIGHLY preferred with this pickup.
So, at the risk of "piling on the praise" an external preamp is really not necessary (or even desirable?! ) when using the Carvin AG amps with many acoustic pickup systems. These are GREAT amps!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 01-02-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Not to negate anyone's preference for other recommendations, but I have settled on the Carvin AG300. The AG200 most likely would suit my needs, but I figure, why not get more amp if I can? Lucky for me, I sold a gun that I don't shoot for the same amount for what the Carvin costs, so its a win-win situation for me.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Let us know how you like it, and also, LeCover now has the AG 300 listed with the MB 12 and 15 bass amps, so it's less confusing ( in case you don't know they share the same cab). Nice covers to protect your investment.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 AM

If something tiny appeals to you, I like my Lunchbox Acoustic. They recently raised the price but if you look around eBay and Reverb you will find them at the old $400 MAP. BTW, don't plug an instrument into its MIC input, they aggressively band passed it and it sounds fine for vocals but not great for guitar and horrible for bass.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-16-2016 at 02:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification