The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Recommendations on Guitar Build and Repair School

Has anyone attended one of the below schools? I seem to come across these three quite regularly and wondering if anyone has attended, has a recommendation or has insight as to if one is more recognized in the industry.

Galloup School of Lutherie
Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery
Colorado School of Lutherie

I've started my first guitar build and have really enjoyed the process and interested in the idea of furthering my education. I would like to build acoustics as well as learn the repair/tech side of things. Currently live in Orange County. Thanks for any and all help.

Brendon
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

I went to Roberto Venn in 2003 and was extremely pleased with the school and staff. It should be said that no school can make you a good luthier if you do not have what it takes to begin with, good hand skills and superb attention to detail are essential. Study hard and learn as much as you can before you go.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 AM

All 3 of those have good reputations.

I will pose this question to you, though...

Do you want to pursue a career in "lutherie"... This means primarily stringed instrument repair and perhaps a bit of building on the side if you are lucky.... Or do you want to pursue a hobby of guitar or other stringed instrument building?

For example.. I already have a "day job" and am not really interested in a career change to musical instrument repair.. I do very much enjoy building one or two guitars a year for fun...

Depending on what you decide you want to do will help focus your efforts...
Old 04-12-2018, 01:04 AM

I would concur, big difference and approach on whether your goal is to pay your mortgage, feed your kids, put them through school and so forth with a luthiery skill set and hey I have a day job and do this on the side for the enjoyment and a bit of cash.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
I went to Roberto Venn in 2003 and was extremely pleased with the school and staff. It should be said that no school can make you a good luthier if you do not have what it takes to begin with, good hand skills and superb attention to detail are essential. Study hard and learn as much as you can before you go.
Thank you Bill for your input. I'm in the early stages but trying to identify if it's a necessity for a luthier. I'm very much interested but to your point new to woodworking and can't say yet whether I "have what it takes to begin with". I do really enjoy though! Studying hard I can do.

B
Old 04-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
All 3 of those have good reputations.

I will pose this question to you, though...

Do you want to pursue a career in "lutherie"... This means primarily stringed instrument repair and perhaps a bit of building on the side if you are lucky.... Or do you want to pursue a hobby of guitar or other stringed instrument building?

For example.. I already have a "day job" and am not really interested in a career change to musical instrument repair.. I do very much enjoy building one or two guitars a year for fun...

Depending on what you decide you want to do will help focus your efforts...
I would love to pursue "lutherie"...but still trying to identify if you can make a living and if I have the chops. I'm currently doing some self study along with a group build. My thoughts fall along the lines of "Do I need to attend a proper school" to build the foundational skills and experience to even begin getting paid.

I already have a career that I love but if I was able to work on a few builds a year and or some side work/repair or even make the transition down the line after getting however many years of experience.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I would concur, big difference and approach on whether your goal is to pay your mortgage, feed your kids, put them through school and so forth with a luthiery skill set and hey I have a day job and do this on the side for the enjoyment and a bit of cash.

Steve
Mirwa,

Originally this will be for the enjoyment and if extra cash that would be great. Not sure that is a possibility without the original foundational instruction.

Brendon
Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendonlee7 View Post
Not sure that is a possibility without the original foundational instruction.
Brendon,

I have never received a single bit of training in Musical Instrument repairs from Guitars to Saxophones, or watched a video \ youtube link to learn my job, but through dedication to ones craft and self learning, I have turned mine into a full time business.

It helped I was a trained jet engine mechanic to start with, so I approached everything as a mechanical process.

Start small grow big, I started in my shed at home many many years ago, I now run it from a commercial workshop, on average I turn 40-70 repairs a week, thats my part my apprentices also add more to our shop volume.

My wife eventually gave up her full time book keeping job to run the business with me, I have apprentices which I have taught, some who have since moved on to run their own business's

The limitation is you, a structured course helps for confidence, but not IMO needed if you can understand the basics.

I pm'd you a link to my walk through guides

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 04-12-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Brendon,

I have never received a single bit of training in Musical Instrument repairs from Guitars to Saxophones, or watched a video \ youtube link to learn my job, but through dedication to ones craft and self learning, I have turned mine into a full time business.

It helped I was a trained jet engine mechanic to start with, so I approached everything as a mechanical process.

Start small grow big, I started in my shed at home many many years ago, I now run it from a commercial workshop, on average I turn 40-70 repairs a week, thats my part my apprentices also add more to our shop volume.

My wife eventually gave up her full time book keeping job to run the business with me, I have apprentices which I have taught, some who have since moved on to run their own business's

The limitation is you, a structured course helps for confidence, but not IMO needed if you can understand the basics.

I pm'd you a link to my walk through guides

Steve
Steve...Thanks a lot! I responded via PM. Appreciate the info.

B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair