The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Default Tried a 2018 SG Special yesterday, now I have GAS

2018 Gibson SG Special
Was out of town yesterday and stopped in at a guitar center since we don’t have any near where I live. I never expect to walk into GC and be amazed by the stuff they have, just to preface. I saw an SG on the wall with mini humbuckers that intrigued me and asked the associate to pull it down for me.
Looked it over, was surprised it was a special since it had the block inlays. I love the satin finished Gibsons, I have always felt they played well without the gloss neck. Plugged it into an AC4 with a 12” in it. After dialing in the tone a bit I was truly blown away by it. Sat and played for about 20 minutes on it. While I will say it could have benefited from a nice setup, but it played very well and the tones I got from both pickups were spectacular. I honestly would have brought it home if my wife wouldn’t kill me. Guess I’ll be saving up for one, price o them isn’t bad at all either.
So I’ll end by saying this all made me laugh a little. I had spent Saturday at a high end store playing a handful of early 70s SGs, this special played much nicer to me and it’s tone was on par with what I got out of the vintage ones.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 03-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

It's a really nice guitar. And it looked good in your hands. I'll bet it felt good too And you can really get up on the higher frets for those killer tones you were getting.

You should get it.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
It's a really nice guitar. And it looked good in your hands. I'll bet it felt good too And you can really get up on the higher frets for those killer tones you were getting.

You should get it.
Ha. Mostly true. I got a little laugh when the 18 year old working there was peeking over my shoulder at the settings on the amp. I mostly play rhythm, so 24 frets doesn’t help me....but the neck felt nice up to the fifth! I’ll likely end up with one at some point, just a matter of the wife and money!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 PM

Gibson does a fantastic job with the tone of the SG (and Les Paul) specials and faded series. I haven't played one with the mini humbuckers though. Sounds like you really liked them.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Gibson does a fantastic job with the tone of the SG (and Les Paul) specials and faded series. I haven't played one with the mini humbuckers though. Sounds like you really liked them.
I was pleasantly surprised. I was planning to buy a Rickenbacker 330, now I need to choose...

It had the classic SG bite and edge to it. I enjoy the satin finishes a lot. The neck on them just plays fast and easy. I’ve owned several of the SG faded guitars. They were all good, I felt this tonally was a step up. Gibson necks can be tricky too. It’s always hard to find one the right size because they change so frequently!

I think this will likely be my next purchase...now to sell my Starfire and my Seagull....
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars