The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-30-2018, 03:56 PM

I am really pleased with my simple Boss reverb pedal. I dont remember the exact number, but it is the simplest one they make. It has many settings ad adjustable volume and delay. It cost $100 and has worked great and sounds great.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 01-31-2018, 02:25 PM

I confess that I did not read all of the previous posts. I would recommend an EHX Holy Grail for the quality and simplicity, I never outgrew mine and have tried other quality reverb pedals. I suppose the Holy grail just sounded like a nice vintage reverb, traditionally I never even add more than 50% , I could also be partial to that old Russian EXH stuff too. that mini HOF I hear is real nice too as a simple unit.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I ordered the Demeter reverb yesterday, will post my impressions later. I'm a reverb snob, and that one seems to have all the bells and whistles and great reviews, so we'll see if it meets or exceeds my expectations based on my old early 1970's Gibson G-115 transistor amp!
Well I had to cancel that order, turns out the Reverbulator is unobtainium, and despite being listed for sale by a major supplier, it's not expected to be available for months.

So I ordered the Carl Martin Headroom instead, and it arrived yesterday. I plugged it in and..... It doesn't work. Bypass, no bypass, channel 1 or 2, put the tone and level controls wherever you like, it all sounds exactly the same. I found multiple negative reviews of this unit on various sites, saying more or less the same thing (it doesn't work, it worked for a while then broke, QC is horrible, etc.), but I figured I'd take my chances and see if I wound up with a good one. Nope. Stay away from anything made by Carl Martin, was my takeaway message, and definitely don't waste your time and money on the Headroom reverb.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 PM

Strymon Blue Sky/Big Sky. These pedals are crazy good, but crazy expensive.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
I would like to stay south of $150 the further south the better. I’m not opposed to used. I was thinking the TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Digitech Polara or a Holy Grail.
All of the units suggested so far are good choices and I'll add a couple more that I'm using now.

Keeley Aurora Reverb - very compact and clean, had it for over a year and it's not going anywhere. $120 used

Z-Cat Q-Mod - very compact reverb + modulation (chorus, flanger, phase shifter or tremolo). Just arrived and I'm already really liking it. $120 on factory sale.

Strymon Flint - Larger pedal but very powerful combination reverb & tremolo with independent controls and switches. Over budget but still a good one to keep in mind. $250 used
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Well I had to cancel that order, turns out the Reverbulator is unobtainium, and despite being listed for sale by a major supplier, it's not expected to be available for months.

So I ordered the Carl Martin Headroom instead, and it arrived yesterday. I plugged it in and..... It doesn't work. Bypass, no bypass, channel 1 or 2, put the tone and level controls wherever you like, it all sounds exactly the same. I found multiple negative reviews of this unit on various sites, saying more or less the same thing (it doesn't work, it worked for a while then broke, QC is horrible, etc.), but I figured I'd take my chances and see if I wound up with a good one. Nope. Stay away from anything made by Carl Martin, was my takeaway message, and definitely don't waste your time and money on the Headroom reverb.
Well that stinks. So the search goes on?
I'm not an expert on analog reverb but surely someone around here is.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM

I have a Digitech Polara. It sounds great but the darn knobs and writing on the pedal are IMPOSSIBLE to read without being 3 inches away. I can't even just lean over to read it, I have to kneel down and lean way in with decent lighting, and I don't wear glasses!

For this reason alone I wouldn't get it again.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Well that stinks. So the search goes on?
I'm not an expert on analog reverb but surely someone around here is.
I wound up getting a Strymon blue sky, digital instead of spring. It's not quite exactly an accutronics spring reverb, at least I haven't found a setting quite like that yet, but it has a LOT of capability and sounds great. So, I'm happy!
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
  • Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Neo - About $130, performs beautifully.
  • EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master V2 - At $200 is bordering on "breaking the bank' territory, but will blow any other reverb pedal (and about all on-board reverbs) clean out of the water. Also has a wonderful delay. EQD pretty much rules.
+1. I own both. Each fantastic solid trouble free pedals
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 AM

BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars