The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

The H-OM1000N2 is a very nice guitar gloss finish and the Hybrid construction gives it a touch warmer tone than the other Rainsong models I tried. Enjoy !!

Last edited by jdinco; 02-14-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 PM

Default Carbon Fibre Guitars - What’s The Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Great guitar....beautiful clarity and note separation along with impressive volume. Took the Fishman out of my Rainsong, left the opening as a soundhole, and installed a K&K....but that is my own particular pickup preference. Enjoy your new guitar.

I installed a K&K UltraPure Mini in my Voyage-Air VAD-04 and am impressed with the clarity and adjustability. It was an easy installation and I highly recommend it. One advantage putting it in the Voyage-Air is that when you have to do a battery change it’s a snap. Fold the neck, reach in, swap the battery and you’re good to go.

I just looked up the Barbara pickup system. It’s concept seems very well conceived with one problem unless I missed something. The high E and B strings are not molded for intonation.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 02-12-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Guest 928

BT;

I had not noticed the lack of molding for intonation. I just checked and you appear to be correct. However, I have not noticed any intonation problems when I play up the board. I will do a thorough check this afternoon.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Musicians Friend called today to let me know my BO'd Rainsong CH-OM date had been pushed back. They made me a great deal on a Rainsong Hybrid Series H-OM1000N2 which is in stock and an upgrade from the one I ordered. 14 fret with an upgraded Fishman Prefix+T system with onboard tuner. Yep, I bit and it's on it's way!!
So all bets are off on the Emerald and the CH-OM? Or will you have gone from zero CF guitars to three? Hey, inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
So all bets are off on the Emerald and the CH-OM? Or will you have gone from zero CF guitars to three? Hey, inquiring minds want to know!

Only one CF for now! First I must state that I’m Insane. While waiting for the OM I kept looking at other CF options. The OM pre-owned became a OM new. The Emerald came along on Reverb but the seller wanted to get paid but ship in a month - that wasn’t happening. Then MF called and made me a deal I couldn’t refuse on the H-OM as the OM’s BO date had been pushed back. I told you that I’m Insane.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 02-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Only one CF for now! First I must state that I’m Insane. While waiting for the OM I kept looking at other CF options. The OM pre-owned became a OM new. The Emerald came along on Reverb but the seller wanted to get paid but ship in a month - that wasn’t happening. Then MF called and made me a deal I couldn’t refuse on the H-OM as the OM’s BO date had been pushed back. I told you that I’m Insane.
On the bright side: you're about to learn "what the deal is."

Old 02-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Guest 928

BT;

So I checked the intonation with the Barbera pickup. I only went as far as the 12th fret, but everything was good. My Rainsong Parlor doesn't have a shaped saddle, either, and it's intonation is also spot on.

I'm wondering if a slight cant of the bridge or the slope of the saddle keeps the intonation right?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
First I must state that I’m Insane. I told you that I’m Insane.
Insanely happy soon I would say... if indeed I were to say...just sayin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM

I checked all of my guitars (Taylor’s, Martins, Voyage-Air, Fender and Custom Les Paul). Every guitar has an OEM compensated bridge or adjustable saddle setup.
Intonation is based on the length of the string from the nut to the bridge saddle and length of the string from the 12th fret to the bridge.
I would have to think that a compensated or uncompensated bridge saddle would affect both lengths.
This leads to a question. Why are guitars designed with compensated or uncompensated bridge saddles? Is the choice based on individual guitars geometry? Based on that question I would think that a guitar with a compensated saddle bridge would require replacement with the same design. If that is true, and that is the question, the Barbara’s intonation must be off if used on a guitar that was designed for a compensated bridge saddle.

But I could be talking out of my ......!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul

Last edited by BT55; 02-14-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
But I could be talking out of my ......!
If that is the case ..then best I don't lean in too close to hear better... "self preservation act of 1956" I live by...sort of... sometimes
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber