The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 AM

Default I failed to solder a second pickup to the Lyric

Everything had gone well. I’d snaked the new too-thick cable up through the PC card housing with quite a bit of growling and frustration, soldered the leads nicely and tested the pickups. Then I spent almost an hour trying to get the housing back up over everything. Bad move.

When I tested the system again with everything re-installed, all I got was the new pickup. The Lyric had been damaged somehow. Argh!

I then spent hours trying to find why the Lyric had failed and saw nothing amiss.

Finally, I gave up and removed the Lyric system completely. My new setup will be the Black Angel and an external Beyerdynamic M201TG mic going into my two channel pre. It actually sounds way better but I'd wanted a completely contained solution.

At some point I may try adding the Black Angel Piezo, but it’ll be a while.

Peace.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. It actually cancels the LR Baggs warranty when a non-pro works on their pickups. However, the Baggs support folks often go way beyond the call of duty. You may well be able to get some help from them.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM

That's been my experience too (great service). But I think I'm kind of done. I often enjoy geeky things, but I don't have the temperament to assemble-disassemble these things over and over. Chalk this one up to a learning experience.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:27 PM

Still using this setup?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification