The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2021, 10:40 AM

Default ataylor's quick cover song archive: "Landslide"

I've been going through some of the songs saved in my Voice Memos and Music Memos and Notes apps on my phone and I've found a handful of quick cover songs I've recorded that I thought might be worth sharing here.

These are unrehearsed, spur-of-the-moment recordings I've done, which means sometimes I misplace or mess up a chord or a lyric or a verse here or there.

The base vocal and guitar tracks on these are — I think — all recorded with my iPhone's built-in microphone. Sometimes if I recorded in Music Memos, I've used the app's auto-create drums and/or bass to see how it sounds. Sometimes I take it from there into Garageband and play with the drums and bass a little bit, and then sometimes I'll even add a bit of additional guitar and vocals with my little Apogee Mic and/or Jam inputs.

All just for fun, not going for studio quality here — volume levels and balance of vocals and instruments in the mix sometimes aren't ideal — just capturing an idea and sometimes building on it.

- - -

So, it looks like I'd posted this one before, but must have deleted the previous Soundcloud file so I've uploaded it again.

I recorded this cover seven or eight years ago in the bathroom of the apartment my wife and I were living in at the time with our oldest daughter (who would have been the same age then as our youngest is now — crazy). I had started playing around with the song using different chord shapes, liked the vibe, and decided to try a quick recording with some natural reverb in the only room in our place that didn't have a window with street noise.

I'm thinking it could be worth trying this arrangement again sometime but with some harmonies and maybe some sparse secondary guitar parts.

For context, in case anyone needs it, here's the time-tested original... for those of you who grew up in the 90s, here's a version you might remember... and for country music fans, here's one more.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:00 PM

You sing it a zillion times better than I!
Old 10-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopapa View Post
You sing it a zillion times better than I!
Oh, I don’t know about that, but thanks for the compliment!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell