The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Default Martin build sheet

I’m helping sell a Martin acoustic for a man that I work for. It’s from their custom shop and has only a serial number on it. I can confirm what year it is on the Martin site but haven’t had ANY luck hearing back from Martin or tracking down a build sheet in order to get the specifics needed to sell it. Any advice?
Serial number is
Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM

If your friend is the original owner, only he or his dealer can obtain the build sheet.

But I find it strange that only the serial # appears on the neck block. On a regular production guitar it also shows the model...i.e D-18, OM-28, etc.

On a custom run ordered by a dealer (like the 15 series that LA guitars orders, the neck block will say "Custom" above the serial #.

On a custom ordered by a customer, the neck block will also say "Custom Shop".

Customs generally don't have the model designation noted since technically a D-18 for instance, ordered as a custom with different specs, is no longer a D-18, although in reality it is. My Custom Shop D-18 is noted as a D-14 (D size, 14 fret) on the build data sheet and Custom Shop booklet.

Are you confused? Probably. Don't blame you.

How 'bout some pics, as many as you can provide.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:40 PM

I don’t know what you mean by not hearing back from Martin. I’ve never had any trouble getting them to answer the phone and answering any question I’ve ever had. No, you’re not going to get build-sheet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion