The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Whispering Echoes III (Olson SJ maple)

Hello everyone,

I recently received a new guitar from Jim Olson and recorded the third and final chapter to my "Whispering Echoes" suite.

I hope you enjoy it.

As always, thanks for listening.

https://youtu.be/pbQSIGu4mic

Old 11-15-2015, 02:53 PM

As expected, this is beautifully played and recorded, Mau! It was very calming and pleasant to listen to...thanks for posting it!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 PM

deleted post

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

Last edited by Riakstonic; 11-21-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Pisan, you read my FB msg...beautifully awesome, inspiring & tasteful use of effect.

eric
Old 11-17-2015, 09:31 AM
AGF Administrator

I really like your Whispering Echoes suite. The new guitar sounds great (well, all of them for that matter).
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Your focus is always the melody and tone - so I'm good

Michael
Old 11-17-2015, 03:44 PM

What a beautiful piece of music...and I also have to say I am SO envious of your guitar! Someday I hope to have James make a guitar for me...I have two major "hurdles" that still keep me from doing so, however (besides convincing myself that I deserve one, of course! I'm not a professional musician, and don't make my bread and butter playing music-I just love to play. I think I could get there, though, if I could clear the two big ones: 1-Believing I'd be comfortable taking it with me for performances without the constant fear of something happening to it (scratches, dings, or worse!), and (2) figuring out/deciding on the specs!
What kinds of wood, etc...maybe I'd do better to watch for a pre-owned one to become available. That doesn't happen very often, though. 😕
I actually used to babysit for the Olsons- wayyy back in the 80's. I was 14, and had just begun playing; he and Sue gave me permission(!) to play their guitars while they were out for the evening. Both were gorgeous, handmade instruments- one built by James himself (I don't recall the builder of the other one). I was absolutely in LOVE with the sound of both.
I was VERY careful, of course...but looking back, I'm absolutely amazed -to think they could be comfortable with a 14 yr old even touching those guitars while they weren't present(!).
I did appreciate the significance of this, however -especially when I mentioned it to my parents. Their faces were a mixture of horror and amazement, as I recall... ; )
Martin SPD-16R (2000)
Wechter Traditional Custom (2003)
Yamaha LL16 (2000)
Yamaha FG 460 S-12 (1986)

www.youtube.com/mmcs1222
Old 11-17-2015, 03:58 PM

Mau,
That was beautiful and that Olson sounds wonderful in your hands.

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 11-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
As expected, this is beautifully played and recorded, Mau! It was very calming and pleasant to listen to...thanks for posting it!
I'd love to write something that's not calming for a change but that's not an easy task for me...

Thanks for listening, Bob!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Ya know I old myself I ain't gunna listen ... Why ? It's not because I don't like your playing just the opposite it's the style I love and try to play myself . But No I was not going to listen ... Because I'm childish and ticked off and happy that you got another Olson ... Man I could go on but why bother lol .

If I had one I just beat it to death like I did last night when my 2 ton mic fell over and hit my guitar . I got lucky only a small ding in the back of the neck but it could have bad . I'm like s bull in a china shop haha ... But one day I'll have a great guitar before I'm to old I hope ...

Well done Mau . I truly love the emotion in your music . I do have to say that the Mapie is kicking with over tones almost in a runaway form with the echo at least that how it's sounds on my side , tame that in the mix and it'll be perfect .. Less that one bum note I thought I heard lol .. No worries I can't come close to what you do your an insperation .

Ray
Thanks for listening and posting, Ray.

As for the effects that I use, I realize they may not be to everyone's taste -- but that's how I like, for better or worse. If anything I wish I had added even more delay in the mix.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Pisan, you read my FB msg...beautifully awesome, inspiring & tasteful use of effect.

eric
Thanks, Eric.

Opinions are all over the place when it comes to effects, tone, etc. Some players sound great with a rather dry signal but that's not how I enjoy hearing myself. Even on the electric guitar, if I could only keep one effects pedal, it wouldn't be distortion/overdrive...
Old 11-17-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I really like your Whispering Echoes suite. The new guitar sounds great (well, all of them for that matter).
Thanks, Jeremy. I can't say how much I'm pleased with the maple SJ. I think it's beautiful and it plays great.

I look forward to recording "studio" versions of "Whispering Echoes".
Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain't View Post
Your focus is always the melody and tone - so I'm good

Michael
Thanks, Michael. I'm glad to hear that you appreciate my efforts.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcs1202 View Post
What a beautiful piece of music...and I also have to say I am SO envious of your guitar! Someday I hope to have James make a guitar for me...I have two major "hurdles" that still keep me from doing so, however (besides convincing myself that I deserve one, of course! I'm not a professional musician, and don't make my bread and butter playing music-I just love to play. I think I could get there, though, if I could clear the two big ones: 1-Believing I'd be comfortable taking it with me for performances without the constant fear of something happening to it (scratches, dings, or worse!), and (2) figuring out/deciding on the specs!
What kinds of wood, etc...maybe I'd do better to watch for a pre-owned one to become available. That doesn't happen very often, though. 😕
I actually used to babysit for the Olsons- wayyy back in the 80's. I was 14, and had just begun playing; he and Sue gave me permission(!) to play their guitars while they were out for the evening. Both were gorgeous, handmade instruments- one built by James himself (I don't recall the builder of the other one). I was absolutely in LOVE with the sound of both.
I was VERY careful, of course...but looking back, I'm absolutely amazed -to think they could be comfortable with a 14 yr old even touching those guitars while they weren't present(!).
I did appreciate the significance of this, however -especially when I mentioned it to my parents. Their faces were a mixture of horror and amazement, as I recall... ; )
Thank you for honouring this thread with your first post in over four years...

If the Olsons felt like they could trust you with their kids, I'm sure they felt comfortable letting you play their guitars... I don't know for sure but I suspect the other "handmade" guitar would've been a Hoffman.

Jim turned 65 this year and has slowed down production significantly. He also only builds one model these days so it would be easier for you to decide on specs...
Old 11-17-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Mau,
That was beautiful and that Olson sounds wonderful in your hands.

Willie
Thank you, Willie.

I've been playing my SJs for three years already so they feel very much like home to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell