The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Is Koa really worth it?

I have all of these other Taylors, but the one that has evaded me, is a Koa model. They are just so nose bleed expensive. Even a 314ce limited is close to 1800 used often. I got my Uncle a beat to hell K14 for like 1100 at one point, but it actually had a dime sized hole in the body lol.

So basically, I am about to buy another one, and I wanted to ask some dudes if they feel that their Koa models are like Gods Gift to the Acoustic player?

Sub Question: And if yes, would you even consider something like a 314ce with cheap appointments and flat finish, or should I just step up and get something pretty? As the flat finish doesn't really make the wood look special.

I would be looking at a GO, GS, or 12 string as those are the only bodies I don't have "unless you count the Baritone 6 I have in a GS, lol.

2005 Taylor 614ce Cherry Burst
1996 Taylor 512 Custom
1999 Taylor 710ce
2012 Taylor 416ce ltd Baritone 6
2006 Taylor T5 C1
2012 Taylor Solid body
Martin DM
Taylor K4
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Roland AC33
Marshall JCM 800
Roland KC100
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3eiqgf8i3vgrd4/IMG_5941.CR2
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Default Is Koa really worth it?

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've always thought it was the best looking wood I've ever seen. The tone has always put me off though. Just too bright.
However, last thanksgiving wknd while out visiting family in Kansas I played a 12 fret, short scale solid koa BTO that just blew my socks off. I still think about that guitar.
So when the time comes for my next guitar, in all likelihood it will be one of those.
As for a GO or GS, I don't know man. I'd definitely play before you pay. They all look stunning, but I can never dig the tone.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Think I posted this is the wrong section, sry guys, newbie here, I know I suck lmao.

1996 Taylor 512 Custom
1999 Taylor 710ce
2006 Taylor T5 C1
2012 Taylor Solid body
Martin DM
Taylor K4
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Roland AC33
Marshall JCM 800
Roland KC100
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM

Duuude, I totally agree. You summed it up Brotha. I like the tone, but it is not so incredable that I want to drop double the money on it lol. Its just a little different than some of the other Taylors, but I wouldn't say better.

I am in the middle of replacing all of my electric gear with acoustic gear. Sold my Les Pauls and Marshall stuff in order to get more acoustics and acoustic amps and stuff like the K4 preamp.

Was telling my chick that I cant just use a stompbox in the acoustic world, if you want different sounds, you need different guitars, for recording multi track recordings and what not. I find that my 512 is a totally different thing in the mix than my 710 "Booming". And with that said, wondering if Koa will be the next "effect" I look for lol.

1996 Taylor 512 Custom
1999 Taylor 710ce
2006 Taylor T5 C1
2012 Taylor Solid body
Martin DM
Taylor K4
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Roland AC33
Marshall JCM 800
Roland KC100
Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 AM

I don't know, is brazilian rosewood really worth? It's merely a different sound than you would get from most other guitars but whether it's better to you is entirely up to your ears.

The only reason its so expensive is because of how much harder it is to source the wood. I remember reading through various threads that for koa to be suitable for guitars, it has grow above a certain level. Apparently there is ample amounts of koa on Hawaii, most of which is on private, untouchable land. So Koa is more expensive. But better? Well, just like Jled79 said, get a Koa guitar in your hand and see for yourself if the extra cost is worth it. If anything, how well the guitar is built and how good the quality of Koa is has the most to do with whether you'll like it or not so it's really hard to generalize.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM

I'm attracted to koa based solely on the looks. I'm not a huge fan of it's tonal properties.

I'd not want to "pay more" just because it "looks good".
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM

I have owned a bunch of Koa and can honestly say it is the most unreliable wood for consistency. Some is great and MOST is not. I think the more dark stripes the better chance you have of it sounding good but there is no guarantee. More so than any other wood you need to play your instruments before buying. My favorite guitar is a Grimes Hapa model with koa back and sides. It is an amazing guitar. Even though I own a K24 all Koa I think both my Goodall and my Grimes that have non Koa tops sound better. I will admit I love the look of my K24 but I don't feel koa is the ultimate top wood.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM
*mahoganut*

My experience has been mixed - some koa sounds great; much sounds adequate. The best I had also had a koa top, and with a bone saddle (replacing the tusq) added depth and roundness to the tone.

As for looks I think it's one of the very best - deep 3d images; flame; sparkle; beautiful. But I'd have to play any koa before I bought it.

Best of luck,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM

The Taylor Koas with a Koa top are incredible eye candy. In my opinion if you want drastically different tone than what you have you need a different brand. Koa to me sounds very similar to Sapele which is brighter than mohogany by a small margin. Your just not going to get a noticably different sounding Taylor unless you get a cedar topped one. I'd venture to say your 710 would blow anything else out of the water.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM

I've only heard a few. I didn't care for most of them. I heard a few at the Taylor Road Show that sounded good in their hands. Didn't seem to sound good in my hands.

I dig it on my electrics. Not considering it for acoustic builds.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Default I think so

I only have experience playing koa Taylors. The first was back in the late nineties, but the only impression it made on me was for the visual properites. The next was the GS my wife bought new for me. She got it for a very good price through Wildwood Music in Ohio. The final one was a cedar-topped GA BTO at Fuller's in Houston.

That GA in Houston and my own GS make me feel it is worth having; but only at an affordable price. I have read mixed reviews on koa. For me, I don't use a pick, and I don't strum very much. Most of my playing is either finger-picking while I sing, or new-to-me fingerstyle in DADGAD.

If you were going to be primarily strumming using a pick with a heavy attack, I think many people would feel that a koa Taylor would be too bright. For fingerstyle, though, I feel as if koa fits me. My koa GS has warmed up considerably, and it seems as if it has quite a bit more fullness compared to when I first got it. I haven't played a GO yet, but I think that for my small frame anything larger that a GS might be uncomfortable in some seated positions.

Lastly, I am biased, but I feel as if the 08 fall limiteds were some of the most attractive Taylors ever made. These usually go for between $2500-$3000; although I've seen some listed for over $4k.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshadeisblue View Post
I have all of these other Taylors, but the one that has evaded me, is a Koa model. They are just so nose bleed expensive. Even a 314ce limited is close to 1800 used often. I got my Uncle a beat to hell K14 for like 1100 at one point, but it actually had a dime sized hole in the body lol.

So basically, I am about to buy another one, and I wanted to ask some dudes if they feel that their Koa models are like Gods Gift to the Acoustic player?

Sub Question: And if yes, would you even consider something like a 314ce with cheap appointments and flat finish, or should I just step up and get something pretty? As the flat finish doesn't really make the wood look special.

I would be looking at a GO, GS, or 12 string as those are the only bodies I don't have "unless you count the Baritone 6 I have in a GS, lol.
Only your own ears can decide if the tonal difference is worth the cost. My own personal opinion is that setting up any instrument as "Gods Gift to the Acoustic player" is just setting yourself up for a letdown.

Have you considered expanding your universe to something beyond that built by Taylor (not knocking Taylor, who builds a fine instrument. But there is something to be said about variety)

TW
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Koa is highly variable. My experience is that the most visually pleasing (highest figured and flamed koa) tends to be the least interesting tonally. I own two koa guitars. One is Taylor GS with flamed back & sides and a spruce top, and is probably the best guitar that I own. I bought it after only a couple of strums, and knew instantly it was special. The other is an all koa Taylor 424 LTD, and is it superb too. But I have played a number of Taylor koa guitars (and various brands including Takamine, Martin and Goodall) that were ho-hum at best. It is a visually beautiful wood, but not everyone likes its fairly bright tone. That tone expands and mellows with some aging and playing time, but it will always be a touch brighter than mahogany. (Until my 424 opened up a bit, I actually preferred the tone of month-old slightly dead strings, to moderate some of the edgy tone). If you are married to a bassy rosewood tone, then koa might not be for you.

As to whether it is worth the upcharge, only you can decide that. Koa is worth it to me -- I play a lot of Hawaiian music, including slack-key. I like the tone and I like the look. Brazilian rosewood is *not* worth the $$$ premium (to me).
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgas View Post
I only have experience playing koa Taylors. The first was back in the late nineties, but the only impression it made on me was for the visual properites. The next was the GS my wife bought new for me. She got it for a very good price through Wildwood Music in Ohio. The final one was a cedar-topped GA BTO at Fuller's in Houston.

That GA in Houston and my own GS make me feel it is worth having; but only at an affordable price. I have read mixed reviews on koa. For me, I don't use a pick, and I don't strum very much. Most of my playing is either finger-picking while I sing, or new-to-me fingerstyle in DADGAD.

If you were going to be primarily strumming using a pick with a heavy attack, I think many people would feel that a koa Taylor would be too bright. For fingerstyle, though, I feel as if koa fits me. My koa GS has warmed up considerably, and it seems as if it has quite a bit more fullness compared to when I first got it. I haven't played a GO yet, but I think that for my small frame anything larger that a GS might be uncomfortable in some seated positions.

Lastly, I am biased, but I feel as if the 08 fall limiteds were some of the most attractive Taylors ever made. These usually go for between $2500-$3000; although I've seen some listed for over $4k.

Is that the Anniversary model? My buddy had a 20th (I think it was) anniversary model backed with Koa on consignment in his store a short while ago. Great sounding guitar. Shame I didn't like the neck.

TW
Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default koa

I disagree with Fullsail:
Indeed Koa cam be beautiful to stunning, but in one respect, the tone is no different than any other wood - can be good to great. But..... Koa requires time and playing to 'break-in'. In other words the more you play it the better tone it will offer.
I have, and have had, about 6 Koa guitars - two Taylors (way overpriced) that gave little tone quality; and 2 Martins that offered awsome tone quality; and one Collings (C10) that has a most amazing tone; and one Bourgeois that rivals the Collings.
So, it takes time for the Koa to 'blossom' AND, the builder of the guitar makes a huge difference. Collings, Bourgeois and Martin shine while Taylor fails.
My humble opinion....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion