The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 PM

Default ARK New Era Model K build done -- final pics and sound clips

Hi, guys, I know most of you have seen my new custom ARK Model K built by Tony Klassen, but I wanted to make sure you heard the sound clips, very kindly recorded by Danny Combs, and that's the reason for this new thread.

Here's the YouTube video Danny made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KL3...ature=youtu.be

And here are 3 music samples on Danny's soundcloud site:
https://soundcloud.com/dannyrcombs

Finally, here are the finished photos. Thanks for watching and listening, and for your kind comments.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

That is way cool. Love the aesthetic. This is modeled after a vintage Gibson? Great playing. Sounds very "modern" for a vintage design, at least to my ears. The new owner must be thrilled.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That is way cool. Love the aesthetic. This is modeled after a vintage Gibson? Great playing. Sounds very "modern" for a vintage design, at least to my ears. The new owner must be thrilled.
That was my thinking as well. Look and sounds great!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 AM

Don't soundcloud so can't hear it, but nice old time Klassy Klassen!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 AM

Absolutely fabulous looking guitar!

I love Gibsons and this guitar looks like a "Cadillac'ed" version of a timeless classic. What a beautiful burst and pickguard. Love the headstock!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 PM

Yes, guys, you're right, this is a classic Gibson look. It's a Model K, from Tony's Kalamazoo series. But the rosette, pickguard and bridge are borrowed from a Bacon and Day Senorita (maybe made by Regal). Tony recreated the one John Fahey played, and in fact, here's an interesting YouTube Video on that subject, with demo, pictures, and Tony discussing the history of the guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPPURl3W_c
Later, after I discussed the possibility of doing a 12 fret NE King model (like an Advanced Jumbo, but better looking), he decided to make a 12 fret Senorita, which came out really well and sounds amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pbqa25Ea0
Not sure where Tony got the crown peghead inlay idea, but it's an option, and he shows it on his NE King. Seemed the perfect way to crown this classic jumbo, and my wife, who's an interior designer, actually insisted I get it.
Finally, when I was a youth, I loved the Epiphone Emperor, but couldn't afford one. So, I got the Emperor fingerboard inlays: white MOP blocks with inset gold MOP triangles. Later Guild used this design, after the former VP of Epiphone, George Mann, joined with Alfred Dronge in 1952 to start Guild Guitars. With Mann's help, they stole several Epiphone craftsmen, including the shop manager, Enrico Capiello.
So, this definitely has the vintage Gibson vibe, with a little Epiphone and Regal thrown in for good measure.
By the way, Bacon and Day was a banjo maker, and only got into guitar making, when banjo sales flagged, but they made a very interesting guitar in the Senorita. Almost got that model, but I wanted a large body. This has a 16 1/8 lower bout and a 4 3/4 depth.
Regarding tone, if it sounds modern, that may be a result of Danny Combs modern fingerstyle playing. But also the recording was made after the guitar had been played just a couple of hours, so it hasn't opened up yet. And I haven't even played it yet. Will get it in a couple of days.
Great fun designing this guitar and working with Tony. Very happy with the end result. Thanks for all your comments.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPPURl3W_c

I produced that video of Tony talking about The Seniorita (mentioned above) while I was visiting him a couple times to spec my New Era Euphonon Jumbo. He was just finishing the first three Senioritas -- glad to see it's got about 3,700 hits since we put it on his YouTube channel!

Sorry to hijack: New Era git content -- my Maple/Adirondack New Era is a stunner!

Craig

Last edited by Commo; 04-30-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM

God that is sooooooo pretty! Reminds me of an old Gibson.

2005 Taylor 614ce Cherry Burst
1996 Taylor 512 Custom
1999 Taylor 710ce
2012 Taylor 416ce ltd Baritone 6
2006 Taylor T5 C1
2012 Taylor Solid body
Martin DM
Taylor K4
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Roland AC33
Marshall JCM 800
Roland KC100
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3eiqgf8i3vgrd4/IMG_5941.CR2
Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM

That is one fantastic looking and sounding guitar - congratulations! I've gotta say, I'm glad you went with the ebony headplate instead of the mother of pearl. The other may be more authentic, but to my eye it's too gaudy. Yours is perfection!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Thanks everybody

Shades of Blue: I see you have quite a few Taylors. If I may humbly suggest, sell just one, and get into Tony's queue; no reason you shouldn't have your very own custom ARK that's ever so pretty.

SJ: The pearloid headstock with handpainted inlays and rhinestones is original to the Senorita and mine is a Model K. But I did borrow the pickguard and bridge from the Senorita. Too much bling in that headstock for me. But Tony understands that and he makes a less flashy version of the Senorita, for those who like other things about. Thanks for the compliment on my guitar.

Craig, no problem on the hijacking. That's great work on Tony's YouTube video for the Senorita. Really enjoyable to watch and you learn something, too. And feel free to show your ARK Euphonon here. Would love to see it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop