The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 AM

Default How do you remove K&K pups/tranducers

Have you ever remove K&K pups/tranducers from your guitar? I've installed a K&K sometime back and just wondered how hard it is to remove. The glue which came with the pickup, is very hard to remove. Is there any way without damaging the guitar? Cheers
Old 10-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Page 8 of the Pure Mini manual:
I haven't removed one myself, but I've done similar repairs. It can be a challenge. Cover the guitar top before working on it. Use a mirror and light inside the guitar, then after following the instructions in the manual if need be clean the residue with lighter fluid (benzene), acetone or lacquer thinner. Personally, I detest gluing anything to the bridge.

All the best!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Thank you Earl. Mmmmm, I think I will rethink this over, not very confident using a razorblade and also it could damage the pups/tranducers.
I think I will purchase another to save the trouble. Cheers
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 PM

I bought an inexpensive set of wood carving tools from Michael's craft store...There are two tools in the set that work fantastic for removing the K&K pickups...they have short wood handles that give you some leverage once you have worked the tool under the pickup a little...
Highly Recommended!
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 10-09-2011, 07:43 AM

They are not hard to remove if you are patient, but you will most likely ruin the transducers. Have you considered using JJBs? They are less expensive and seem every bit as good.
PKA: Cruel Haiku, Standard Deviation

Eastman E10D
Seagull S12+
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Dobro wood roundneck Model 55, 1929
Regal RD-52 Black Lightning square neck reso
Fender Musicmaster II 1966
Airline lap steel
Traveler Guitar Pro Series Acoustic-Electric (rigged as lap-steel)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 PM

I did it with a razor blade. Slowly worked under the elements from various angles. Slightly marred the plastic of the elements but got the K&Ks off and left them in perfect working order as I installed them in my Taylor Big Baby and they worked fine.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 PM

I had a local guy remove them a while ago and it seemed to go well although I don't think one of the transducers made it out alive. I really detest the idea of using superglue to attach them to the bridge plate. I thought they worked OK but I didn't like them enough to keep them. Another tech told they have to be attached and positioned exactly correct otherwise you will get less than satisfactory results. However, I don't see how it would make that much difference. I'm trying to decide on a replacement system and I'm considering the Anthem SL.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
How do you remove K&K pups/tranducers?
I don't. I just keep using them!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 10-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I've removed K&Ks from two guitars with a razor blade. It was a bit tedious, two out of three pickups survived. I used an inspection mirror to check my progress.

If he doesn't like K&Ks (I'm with the OP on that one) why in the world would JJBs be even mentioned as an alternative?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
I had a local guy remove them a while ago and it seemed to go well although I don't think one of the transducers made it out alive. I really detest the idea of using superglue to attach them to the bridge plate. I thought they worked OK but I didn't like them enough to keep them. Another tech told they have to be attached and positioned exactly correct otherwise you will get less than satisfactory results. However, I don't see how it would make that much difference. I'm trying to decide on a replacement system and I'm considering the Anthem SL.
The "tech" is only partially correct: K&Ks aren't anywhere near as finicky about exact positioning as, say, a Baggs Ibeam, but the coupling with the bridgeplate is paramount in good sound reproduction, hence the superglue.

I've never understood guitar owners that get anal obsessive about gluing something inside a guitar, but, then again, I fix them up and play them.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I've removed K&Ks from two guitars with a razor blade. It was a bit tedious, two out of three pickups survived. I used an inspection mirror to check my progress.

If he doesn't like K&Ks (I'm with the OP on that one) why in the world would JJBs be even mentioned as an alternative?
Um, good question! I guess so that when he ruins the K&Ks he could put in JJBs and not feel so bad when he removes and ruins those
PKA: Cruel Haiku, Standard Deviation

Eastman E10D
Seagull S12+
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Dobro wood roundneck Model 55, 1929
Regal RD-52 Black Lightning square neck reso
Fender Musicmaster II 1966
Airline lap steel
Traveler Guitar Pro Series Acoustic-Electric (rigged as lap-steel)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification