The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-13-2024, 12:17 PM

Default New Gibson L-OO

Hi ; just a general question for you guitar Techs here. I don't really work on my guitars much. I bought this guitar about 6 months ago and changed the tuners because on of the butterbean ones wasn't working well . Gibson sent me exact replacements ;so I put them on ,wasn't difficult. But now the guitar won't stay in tune for long at all!! Taking it back to the store ,but wondering ... what happened ? Is it the nut ? any ideas ? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:05 PM

Did you install new strings along with the tuners? There is typically a bit of a #stretching in" period. I like to tune new strings a semitone sharp for a day then back to normal.

Strings installed correctly with the balls against the bridge plate?

Same gauge strings? Heavier gauge might bind in nut slots?
Old 01-13-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Did you install new strings along with the tuners? There is typically a bit of a #stretching in" period. I like to tune new strings a semitone sharp for a day then back to normal.

Strings installed correctly with the balls against the bridge plate?

Same gauge strings? Heavier gauge might bind in nut slots?
Hi Fathand. my string gauge is 12-50 GHS roundcore ,use them on all my guitars.Put them on about 5 days ago.they seem to be seated correctly. I wonder if there is a way to check the nut. I would not know .... probabaly take it back to Russo music in Phila ,where I bought it;to have a look see.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:38 PM

Tuning machines are very rarely the cause for a guitar that won't stay in tune.

Have the nut checked out.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

A few things come to mind eyesore. I’m wondering;

1. Did you install new strings as asked by Fathand? If so, they may need to seat a bit before reaching stability.
2. If you used the old strings were they round core too? If so, the windings may have loosened causing the tuning issue.
3. If the round core strings were new, did you by any chance cut them before tuning to pitch? That could allow the windings to loosen as in 2.

You may have a handle on all of these questions, but its always nice to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
A few things come to mind eyesore. I’m wondering;

1. Did you install new strings as asked by Fathand? If so, they may need to seat a bit before reaching stability.
2. If you used the old strings were they round core too? If so, the windings may have loosened causing the tuning issue.
3. If the round core strings were new, did you by any chance cut them before tuning to pitch? That could allow the windings to loosen as in 2.

You may have a handle on all of these questions, but its always nice to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Hi rampix; yes these are new strings and I have always used roundcore on this new guitar.I cut the strings AFTER I put the strings on. I am not a guitar Tech ;as much as I've tried ,I have no luck with doing any work on my guitars. I'll leave it to the Pros.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I figured you probably had all that stuff nailed down. It will be interesting to hear what your tech has to say...
Old 03-05-2024, 07:41 PM

Bringing up an old subject again. I had the butterbean tuners replaced, new Grover single tuners by a guitar tech.This guitar is still having trouble staying in tune,man I wish I knew what I was doing ;to try and fix it myself! I put the Snark tuner on the peghead ,it reads in tune across the board ,but to strum a G chord it sounds out of tune,.Then I go across all the strings again with the tuner and some of the strings are out of tune again. Can't win!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair