The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 PM

Yea you can get that price any day of the week with a brand new one.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:12 AM

1). The eBay ad very clearly states “No Warranty”.

2) Why not just call Empire’s internet sales dept and ask them? It’s their listing so they should be able to explain it.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Perhaps an aside comment here, but about 8 or 10 years ago, while doing the Taylor Factory Tour (which was very cool btw), my brother bought his wife a Baby Taylor off the wall in the gift shop.

It was a few bucks less than street price as I recall.
It had no warranty.
And this was purchased right there at Taylor.

I don't remember all the details, but perhaps it was a "Factory Used" model.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Probably just me but I would not buy a musical instrument that I hadn’t played. My motto has always been buy the best instrument you can reasonably afford.
Those two statements are independent of each other.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Yesterday I was at a Taylor dealer checking out a Taylor GS Mini eBass and they had a used one plus new ones. Salesman explained that the used one was sold by Taylor to a dealer, the dealer was experiencing difficulties so Taylor bought back the inventory. Then Taylor resold the guitars to other dealers but even though they had never been sold to a consumer they are considered used and without factory warranty. The used one I looked at looked absolutely brand new but was at a nicely reduced price. I bought a new one cuz it sounded better to me so-NGD! It's really fun. I don't know how to play bass and neither does my wife but we were fighting over it last night and within a couple tries we were a band!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

While I appreciate (truly) our forum sponsors, I will say that Empire is a very easy store to do business with. I went to one of our sponsors for a Taylor GS Mini, couldn't get as good a deal as I got through Empire. I realize that this is a small ticket item, not much profit, but I've approached them on other guitars and they've been very easy to talk with. If you look at their used items, they are often very willing to negotiate steeply to keep the cash flow moving. And they have had some interesting items in stock, some special Taylors and such. It certainly is worth a phone call to see what they'll do on a final purchase price.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
While I appreciate (truly) our forum sponsors, I will say that Empire is a very easy store to do business with. I went to one of our sponsors for a Taylor GS Mini, couldn't get as good a deal as I got through Empire. I realize that this is a small ticket item, not much profit, but I've approached them on other guitars and they've been very easy to talk with. If you look at their used items, they are often very willing to negotiate steeply to keep the cash flow moving. And they have had some interesting items in stock, some special Taylors and such. It certainly is worth a phone call to see what they'll do on a final purchase price.
Thanks for that info! I've spent the last couple of days further researching other models I might consider...and now I'm wondering about the 300 series 12-fretters. From what I've read, they play like butter and feel amazing in the hand. There aren't any near me, so I'm not sure how I'm going to make this decision.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM

When I was looking for a Taylor nylon string, I wanted an 812ce....but the $3500 sticker was a bit rough. I saw a "Factory Used" one on Reverb for $3100, and asked if it had a warranty - they said no, so I passed. I figured I might be able to negotiate at least a lower than MAP if I dealt directly with a dealer.

Then....I found a 2016 812ce-N listed at $2599. I offered $2100, thinking we'd go a couple rounds before hitting somewhere in the middle.

They took the first offer. Yeah, there's no warranty....but I saved about $1400 off of new, so I'm happy.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsarev View Post
Call some of the AGF sponsors. You will be surprised. I've dealt with John at Shoreline but can't speak for the other sponsors.
Wanted to thank you for your advice - I just got an absolutely KILLER deal on a Taylor 312ce 12-fret from John. He's ordering it up for me as we speak! I let him know that my struggle was that I didn't have any of these guitars nearby to try out first and he said not to stress it. I figured a special order might render my guitar non-returnable, but John assured me that it was not the case.

What an awesome business model they have. Everything about Shoreline Music screams, "small, local business hanging with the big boys". I love it. At the end of our conversation he asked what size t-shirt I am, what my color preference was, and which design I preferred...capping it off with, "That's on the house." Phenomenal experience, start to finish.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-18-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I just get this image of a bunch of Taylor employees, slackers to a man, sneaking back to the break room to smoke some weed and play "Eight Miles High" on guitars they just grabbed from the setup room:

"Cool, man - next let's play "Cinnamon Girl!" "

Just then their supervisor bursts into the room: "You MORONS!! Those are new guitars!! If you want to smoke weed and dent up some guitars with your own crappy renditions of songs that you don't even have the vocal range to sing, do it on your own time, at your own house, on your own guitars!!"

"Aw, man....be cool!!"

"I'm NOT cool, I'm your BOSS!! And if you don't get up off your butts and get back to work I'm going to be your EX-boss in about thirty seconds!!!"

"Grumble grumble grumble grumble....."

"Sheesh - now I've got five MORE guitars to sell as "Factory used!" "

So, Wborisenok, I'm not saying that this is a genuine transcription taken from surveillance video of the Taylor Guitar Company break room, but I'm not saying it ISN'T, as well. You be the judge....

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton "I Wouldn't Kid You About Something Like That" Miller

PS: Yes, I acknowledge that the song selection above dates me. Insert the culturally relevant stoner songs of the moment.
I was with you to the part about playing cinnamon girl on a taylor/ Thats just not right
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
At the end of our conversation he asked what size t-shirt I am, what my color preference was, and which design I preferred...
He usually just asks me "what are you wearing now?" Then, later, "no, you hang up."

Kidding, of course. I've not yet dealt with John, but have heard only good things (and his vids are good). Congrats on what I hope will be a mutually satisfactory transaction.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:08 PM

I don't own a Taylor but this is the first I've ever heard of "Taylor Used" or 2nd's. I'm kind of surprised they would let anything like this out of the factory. Is it just a certain series and below?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
He usually just asks me "what are you wearing now?" Then, later, "no, you hang up."

Kidding, of course. I've not yet dealt with John, but have heard only good things (and his vids are good). Congrats on what I hope will be a mutually satisfactory transaction.

I set you up for that!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

The Taylor factory has a room for potential customers to play any model they make. I did a factory tour a couple of years ago, and enjoyed trying out even the high end models. I dunno, but maybe they rotate them every once in a while and sell them as used.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post

I set you up for that!
Couldn't have made that shot without you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion