The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Default "Factory used" Taylors?

I've been seeing a bunch of "factory used" Taylors listed on Reverb and eBay. They are completely legit from a reputable seller. Apparently these guitars come direct from Taylor. Does anyone know what "factory used" means?

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 PM

Probably what we used to call a 2nd. Sent back for repairs of some kind, re-retailed. They have to disclose sort of that it was sold already, so they call it something like that.

rct
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't find anything listed as "factory used" on Reverb. I did see a lot of "open box" Taylors.

That's very common.

Do what I did when I bought a NOS (new old stock) - call Taylor and have them confirm the serial number is unregistered and can be assigned to you as the first owner with warranty.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Does anyone know what "factory used" means?
I just get this image of a bunch of Taylor employees, slackers to a man, sneaking back to the break room to smoke some weed and play "Eight Miles High" on guitars they just grabbed from the setup room:

"Cool, man - next let's play "Cinnamon Girl!" "

Just then their supervisor bursts into the room: "You MORONS!! Those are new guitars!! If you want to smoke weed and dent up some guitars with your own crappy renditions of songs that you don't even have the vocal range to sing, do it on your own time, at your own house, on your own guitars!!"

"Aw, man....be cool!!"

"I'm NOT cool, I'm your BOSS!! And if you don't get up off your butts and get back to work I'm going to be your EX-boss in about thirty seconds!!!"

"Grumble grumble grumble grumble....."

"Sheesh - now I've got five MORE guitars to sell as "Factory used!" "

So, Wborisenok, I'm not saying that this is a genuine transcription taken from surveillance video of the Taylor Guitar Company break room, but I'm not saying it ISN'T, as well. You be the judge....

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton "I Wouldn't Kid You About Something Like That" Miller

PS: Yes, I acknowledge that the song selection above dates me. Insert the culturally relevant stoner songs of the moment.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I couldn't find anything listed as "factory used" on Reverb. I did see a lot of "open box" Taylors.

That's very common.

Do what I did when I bought a NOS (new old stock) - call Taylor and have them confirm the serial number is unregistered and can be assigned to you as the first owner with warranty.
Probably would have helped if I referenced a listing - check this one out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-214c...0AAOSw0Vlay~gk

There's 12-15 of these, all 214ce's but different woods. They're all listed on Reverb as well.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Probably would have helped if I referenced a listing - check this one out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-214c...0AAOSw0Vlay~gk

There's 12-15 of these, all 214ce's but different woods. They're all listed on Reverb as well.
Never saw that before - that's very interesting. It looks totally legit.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Never saw that before - that's very interesting. It looks totally legit.
Right? No mention of defects or anything. I think I might snag one - they're $1299 original MSRP. The $50 shipping fee is a bit of a bummer, but it's still $210 off a brand new guitar. Not too shabby.

I read another listing that said Taylor makes them sell them as "used" stock to and I wondered if it was to protect the bigger box stores from having to price match.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2018, 08:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Right? No mention of defects or anything. I think I might snag one - they're $1299 original MSRP. The $50 shipping fee is a bit of a bummer, but it's still $210 off a brand new guitar. Not too shabby.

I read another listing that said Taylor makes them sell them as "used" stock to and I wondered if it was to protect the bigger box stores from having to price match.
Hmmm, I just negotiated a new one from Sweetwater for $100 more including shipping and the warranty, than the $1,039 of the eBay factory used one.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hmmm, I just negotiated a new one from Sweetwater for $100 more including shipping and the warranty, than the $1,039 of the eBay factory used one.
So $1139, all in? Tell me your ways! I thought they needed a price match scenario in order to cut a deal. Also, did you get it yet? Would be interested in your feedback. I talked to them today and put one on hold, next shipment is due in one week from today.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM

Probably just me but I would not buy a musical instrument that I hadn’t played. My motto has always been buy the best instrument you can reasonably afford.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
So $1139, all in? Tell me your ways! I thought they needed a price match scenario in order to cut a deal. Also, did you get it yet? Would be interested in your feedback. I talked to them today and put one on hold, next shipment is due in one week from today.
No special ways. Actually, $1,142 for the 214ceDLX. I inquired for both the 214ceDLX and a 150e. After the rep quoted me a price higher than I was prepared to pay, I just told him how much was sitting in my PayPal account (honestly, was the amount from a guitar I’d just sold) and that’s as much as I was willing to pay for both. He accepted. I got a similar discount on the 150e. Maybe buying two guitars had something to do with it, but I consider it a good, but not a great deal. I have the 150e. I really like it. My 214 is likley part of the same shipment coming soon from Taylor as you mention, so I don’t yet have it.

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-16-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Probably just me but I would not buy a musical instrument that I hadn’t played. My motto has always been buy the best instrument you can reasonably afford.
I’d played these particular guitars in the stores. Taylors are pretty consistent, so I have no qualms taking a chance on Taylor. Not the first time I’ve bought without first trying the actual guitar and it’s always worked out. At least this has been my experience.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Call some of the AGF sponsors. You will be surprised. I've dealt with John at Shoreline but can't speak for the other sponsors.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’d played these particular guitars in the stores. Taylors are pretty consistent, so I have no qualms taking a chance on Taylor. Not the first time I’ve bought without first trying the actual guitar and it’s always worked out. At least this has been my experience.
Same - I’ve played it in store already. Thanks for the info!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsarev View Post
Call some of the AGF sponsors. You will be surprised. I've dealt with John at Shoreline but can't speak for the other sponsors.
I think I’ll do this tomorrow. Thanks!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion