The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Doug, Unless my memory is way out of whack, I remember driving you I think to Tom Higgins' house in Stillwater, MN. probably from Bill Hammond's place? I don't even remember what the circumstances were. I do think that it was the first time that I had been there and we had a hard time finding it. Perhaps that is the same time that Marshall was talking about.
Yeah, I remember that trip, one of the "rosejam" events, I think? You were there, Marshall, Bill, Paul Jones, others from the soundhole.

That guitar was interesting, Ziricote with Lucky Strike Redwood, and just impeccable construction details. It had a 25.8 scale length, which produced a really sonorous bass, but made it pretty stiff to play!
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doug, Unless my memory is way out of whack, I remember driving you I think to Tom Higgins' house in Stillwater, MN. probably from Bill Hammond's place? I don't even remember what the circumstances were. I do think that it was the first time that I had been there and we had a hard time finding it. Perhaps that is the same time that Marshall was talking about.
Good times !

As I remember that True North, it had sustainnnnnnnnnnnnn for decades. A lovely even sound. Not so much loud. as the sound just jumped off it and rang forever. A very good fingerstyle guitar.

Still got that Ryan, Jeff?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:11 AM

I do still have it. It is about 17 years old now, bought it in late 2001. I was forced to buy an Olson towards the end of my time in MN. (I think Rosejams may have been over before I bought it.) I went over to Jim's shop fairly often and he would rag me about the fact that I had one of Kevin's guitars but never bought one of his. He had 3 nearly completed orphans at the time so I bought an SJ that is German spruce and Koa. He had one of the normal cedar/rosewood ones also but thought I would go for something a little different. The only input that I had were the fretboard inlays and truss rod cover, but I only had to wait a couple of weeks for him to finish it. It is a great guitar too.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was forced to buy an Olson towards the end of my time in MN. (I think Rosejams may have been over before I bought it.).
Well you are in the wrong place for sympathy on that!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-19-2018, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was forced to buy an Olson towards the end of my time in MN.
Olson abuse really is one of the worst forms of abuse. You have our sympathies
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion