The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Musicians' Dystonia and Looper Suggestions

I am occasionally bothered on gigs by Musicians' Dystonia (a hand cramp) which either requires that I immediately alter my playing or take a break to rest it and let it settle out.

If the time is appropriate, I do call a break or I might use my looper to play Wicked Game or a similar song that requires minimal use of my left hand. However, the looper function on my multi-effects pedal only gives me thirty seconds of looping time and does not store pre-recorded tracks.

So I am really looking to find a stand alone looper that will:

- enable me to pre-record and entire song so I can just let it run for three minutes or so without my having to play at all;

- have separate start and stop buttons so I don't have to fiddle with doing a tap dance (and getting it wrong) to get loops to function;

- be battery powered with an option for external power if needed, although I prefer to minimize the amount of wire contamination on the floor;

- not be so overburdened with functions for layering as to render it cost prohibitive for things I don't really need.

Suggestions?

(BTW, not seeking advice about the hand cramps, that's already being addressed professionally)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM

EHX 720 would fit your criteria, but beware that any digital looper will suck battery life quick. If you can make do with a shorter repeating simple loop while your hand recovers, the Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky will store your loop permanently and battery lasts seemingly forever.
Good luck. I hope you find a solution.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM

I hate it when that happens. I don't gig, but many performers are skillful at filling such voids by telling stories, interacting with audience, or an a-capella song (if you do vocals).
Old 04-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstrummer View Post
EHX 720 would fit your criteria, but beware that any digital looper will suck battery life quick. If you can make do with a shorter repeating simple loop while your hand recovers, the Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky will store your loop permanently and battery lasts seemingly forever.
Good luck. I hope you find a solution.
I will second the Electro harmonix 720. Had been using the 40 second looper in my Zoom G3 which works great, but is time limited and no storage. i've been using the 720 for the last 2 weeks and it has everything you asked for, unlimited time up to 12 mins, 11 storage spots and 2 switches for start and stop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion