The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Default 000-18 vs OM-18

For a time a few years ago, I had two similar Martins..a 000-18GE and an OM-18GE.

They were as alike as any two guitars I've ever had.
Virtually the same guitar except for scale length.
But they were two different guitars.

The OM was a few years older, so one could argue it was more played in, had "opened-up" more, but please, let's not get into to that.
They were made in the same factory, with the same bracing pattern and wood choices..Honduran Mahogany and Adirondack Spruce.

One day, I put new Martin Lifespan Lights on both to answer the OP's question for myself.

There was no noticeable difference in tone between the two guitars that I would/could attribute to scale length.
Although my fingers could discern the slight difference in fret spacing in the first five positions, it was certainly not enough to haggle about.

I've read all the statements about bigger punchier tone, more volume, more this or that with standard scale.
And I've heard the short scale is supposed to sound warmer and strings are easier to bend (not that I do that much),
but frankly, I didn't notice enough difference between the two guitars to even mention.

I know others see this differently, and I'm not trying to pick a fight here with anyone.
I'm simply sharing my subjective experiences in response to the original post.

I kept the 000 incidentally and sold the OM, but that decision had nothing to do with scale length.

Bottom line--scale length? Short or long?
Not a big deal to me, play what suits you.

Last edited by woodbox; 04-10-2018 at 05:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion