The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default My "New" Taylor 814....

I purchased a Taylor 814 about a year ago, and this past January discovered that one of the top braces was no longer in contact with the top. I don't know how common an issue that has been for Taylor but evidently the use of protein glue on the early revoiced 800-series guitars has been problematic. I returned it to El Cajon on Taylor's dime, and should be getting it back next week. YEA! They removed the neck and built an entirely new box. Chris from Taylor sent me a few shots of the top of the new box as shown below...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Very cool that Taylor would send you pics. Looks likes she’s going to be a beauty when you get her back.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Very cool RP! I am so glad that Taylor back you up on this!

- Glenn
Old 03-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

That's awesome! Glad they took care of that for you...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Nice story, RP... Glad it worked out.... let us know how it sounds.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:35 PM

I'm curious how or why you discovered the detached brace...
Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM

I hope I get pics - My 1998 W-10 is back in El Cajon getting a full body refinish, neck reset, and a new bone nut and saddle (as well as adjusting the tuners and getting setup). It's supposed to be done......in mid-April.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 PM

Were you so attached to the guitar you're nervous it won't sound as awesome as it used to?

This is interesting to me, as my 810 was a super early revoiced model built in early December to bring to NAMM in 2013...

Meaning mine is probably an earlier build than yours! Glad to hear Taylor will make it right if it's screwed up, but I love, love the guitar but don't love the idea of it getting an all new body.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 PM

So glad that they are taking care of the issue!!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I purchased a Taylor 814 about a year ago, and this past January discovered that one of the top braces was no longer in contact with the top. I don't know how common an issue that has been for Taylor but evidently the use of protein glue on the early revoiced 800-series guitars has been problematic. I returned it to El Cajon on Taylor's dime, and should be getting it back next week. YEA! They removed the neck and built an entirely new box. Chris from Taylor sent me a few shots of the top of the new box as shown below...
I have the same thing going on with my 712 12-fret nylon. I found a very pronounced buzz at the bridge and Gryphon diagnosed that the brace was not in contact with the top. The buzz is back, so I need to go back to Gryphon and perhaps ultimately Taylor.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
I'm curious how or why you discovered the detached brace...
After changing the strings and retuning, I noticed a buzzing, not the kind caused by fret buzz. I tried replacing some various parts including the errant strings, saddle, and bridge pins but to no avail. I loosened the second set of strings I'd installed and used a mirror to try to detect issues inside the box. Couldn't really see any issues so I resorted to what I call the "Stevie Wonder Test" which meant using my fingertips to very lightly feel around inside the top. That uncovered the brace that had come loose from the top....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
I have the same thing going on with my 712 12-fret nylon. I found a very pronounced buzz at the bridge and Gryphon diagnosed that the brace was not in contact with the top. The buzz is back, so I need to go back to Gryphon and perhaps ultimately Taylor.
It seems that a strong hint in my case was that my 814 was one of the early ones built after revoicing. I would definitely get your guitar into the hands of the repair shop in El Cajon. Rather than just fix a single brace, they built a whole new body using whatever is the latest incarnation of protein glue. It's taken several months, but I can't say enough good things about Taylor's acceptance of responsibility and taking a very comprehensive approach to remedying the situation. Some might call their repair overkill, but I'm really pleased with that approach....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Were you so attached to the guitar you're nervous it won't sound as awesome as it used to?
The short answer would be "No." The longer answer would be that Taylors tend to be very consistent in tone, and I was more than willing to risk losing what I had to gain a revoiced, repaired 814 that might sound even better. Several years ago I owned two 524 First Edition guitars numbered sequentially. You'd think they'd sound the same, but one had a noticeably nicer tone than the other, at least to my ears. Both sounded great, mind you, but a little different. I'll take my chances to have the repair on my 814 to be done so thoroughly...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-22-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Taylor used fish glue on the 800's years ago. You can read all kinds of horror stories about fish glue on the Internet but most of those are counteracted by success stories. I've had nothing but success... so far. But fish glue is like no other glue. It requires 12 hours of clamping time and just the right amount of clamping pressure, not to much pressure being the key. My guess is that in a factory production shop setting Taylor tried to speed up this process and something went wrong, that's just a guess. The other factor of course is that the guitar could have been subjected to very high humidity in a warm environment, a bad thing under any circumstances, but also ideal conditions for reversing fish glue.

BTW what do you mean a 'entirely new box'? Did they actually re-top the guitar?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Taylor used fish glue on the 800's years ago. You can read all kinds of horror stories about fish glue on the Internet but most of those are counteracted by success stories. I've had nothing but success... so far. But fish glue is like no other glue. It requires 12 hours of clamping time and just the right amount of clamping pressure, not to much pressure being the key. My guess is that in a factory production shop setting Taylor tried to speed up this process and something went wrong, that's just a guess. The other factor of course is that the guitar could have been subjected to very high humidity in a warm environment, a bad thing under any circumstances, but also ideal conditions for reversing fish glue.

BTW what do you mean a 'entirely new box'? Did they actually re-top the guitar?
Box was their term. They removed the neck from my 814 and will install it on the completely new body shown in the OP. Is fish glue the same thing as “protein glue” used on the revoiced models?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
After changing the strings and retuning, I noticed a buzzing, not the kind caused by fret buzz. I tried replacing some various parts including the errant strings, saddle, and bridge pins but to no avail. I loosened the second set of strings I'd installed and used a mirror to try to detect issues inside the box. Couldn't really see any issues so I resorted to what I call the "Stevie Wonder Test" which meant using my fingertips to very lightly feel around inside the top. That uncovered the brace that had come loose from the top....

It seems that a strong hint in my case was that my 814 was one of the early ones built after revoicing. I would definitely get your guitar into the hands of the repair shop in El Cajon. Rather than just fix a single brace, they built a whole new body using whatever is the latest incarnation of protein glue. It's taken several months, but I can't say enough good things about Taylor's acceptance of responsibility and taking a very comprehensive approach to remedying the situation. Some might call their repair overkill, but I'm really pleased with that approach....

The short answer would be "No." The longer answer would be that Taylors tend to be very consistent in tone, and I was more than willing to risk losing what I had to gain a revoiced, repaired 814 that might sound even better. Several years ago I owned two 524 First Edition guitars numbered sequentially. You'd think they'd sound the same, but one had a noticeably nicer tone than the other, at least to my ears. Both sounded great, mind you, but a little different. I'll take my chances to have the repair on my 814 to be done so thoroughly...
I returned a GS mini for the bridge coming off the body and Taylor did the same for me. I was also very happy with their customer service. It's the fun of a NGD without having to pay extra.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Box was their term. They removed the neck from my 814 and will install it on the completely new body shown in the OP. Is fish glue the same thing as “protein glue” used on the revoiced models?
Oh wow ok. Well you know you are getting an entirely different guitar then. I'm sure it will sound wonderful but it will not be the same as you old one, perhaps even better though

Yes fish glue is the protein glue they are talking about. But hide glue is technically a protein glue too. Other known as animal glues.

I am surprised they didn't just repair your original one. Makes me wonder what they will do with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion