The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM

Default Entry Level Buy: Fender, Washburn or Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I disagree.
Cutaway is specially important for learning scales up and down the neck.
It has nothing to do with entry level or advanced/expensive level.

It's fine to suggest what might be better but if I want a cutaway, I want a cutaway.

I’ll second those comments. My Fender CD-140SCE is a dreadnought cutaway with Fishman electronics. But I still say try them all before making a final decision. Cheers! Dave (Note: The Sweetwater picture is of my guitar before it shipped to me. Sweetwater sent me a full “photo shoot” of my guitar at all angles.)

Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 PM

Have you played these guitars? There probably is not much difference between them at your price level and there is great value here. My wife and I spent hours deciding on a guitar for my son ($300 range). It came down to a Yamaha or a Fender. We bought the Fender but I could not really hear a difference between the two.

Good Luck
Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 PM

If forced to pick between those three brands I would say Yamaha.

Normally my go-to entry level would be Alvarez Artist series, Seagull, or whatever Breedlove's lowest import level is.

Wanting a cutaway and electronics is making it hard to hit the $400 price point.

Scrounge up an extra $18 for the Alvarez AD60CE from MF
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Or right at $399
Breedlove Concert Discovery:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 03-13-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM

Yamaha gets my vote
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 PM

I ended up buying a Yamaha FGX800c recently, but it was between that one and a similar priced Washburn. I liked the tone and response on the Yamaha better but it was close. I think it would make good choice for new and, like my self, rather experienced players.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:36 PM

I'd have to go with Yamaha. Best of luck!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDATM View Post
I’ll second those comments. My Fender CD-140SCE is a dreadnought cutaway with Fishman electronics. But I still say try them all before making a final decision. Cheers! Dave (Note: The Sweetwater picture is of my guitar before it shipped to me. Sweetwater sent me a full “photo shoot” of my guitar at all angles.)

I also have Fender CD140SCE but probably older than yours as the pickguard is little different.
It's pretty decent guitar, very comparable to Yamaha.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Yamaha and Alvarez make great entry level guitars. The Yamaha FG830 is in your range. You may be able to find an entry level Blueridge for $400.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 PM

Still say the Yamaha FG820 or FG830 can't be beat for under $300
Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Yamaha hands down.
But, as noted earlier in this thread, a Seagull S6 is also worth checking out.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
Look at a Seagul S-6. Great bang for the bucks.

I agree. You should at least try one before you decide.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM

All solid Spruce, Rosewood, $375!

https://reverb.com/item/8231096-fend...w-2016-natural
Old 03-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szampino View Post
I am looking to a buy a guitar and hoping for some feedback/recommendation for one of the brands mentioned: Fender, Washburn or Yamaha:

Profile:
Looking to buy new
Max cost $400
Cutaway
Acoustic Electric
I like a throaty sound not twangy
I always use a pick
I'm still an amateur but trying to improve, hoping with the right tools it might make it more fun and exciting.

If you have specific model in mind that would be great as well. Thanks in advance.
Try as many different models in store in your price range. There are lots of recommendations for Yamaha on this thread and I prefer them as well except to say they don’t suit everyone, they can be ‘twangy’ and are sensitive instruments to control and will often make a new guitar player sound very bad. They are generally picky instruments that perform on a higher level than their price point (specifically the FG line).
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I think the low end Yamahas are overrated, more than a bit. However, i know that a lot of folks love their inexpensive Yammies and I'm not wanting to start some "flame" rampage...

Suffice to say that their are MANY other guitars that fit your criteria within the price range. One notable one would be the Breedlove Discovery CE series (w/ cutaway and electronics and gig bag, ~$400)... the ones I've seen have the Concert body ( like a OOO or OM) and have been very well finished and quite playable...

As to the sound? Well, at your price point, you don't get to insist on the sound of the thing, I'm afraid. That said, even though they're laminate wood guitars (solid top in the Discovery Series), there can be a vast difference in tone and volume between two guitars in the same series, even the same brands...

I have played some of the CE Discovery guitars that have been a little "dull" sounding, but I've also played a fair number of them that sounded really good to my ears. Nice thing about Breedlove is that they are based in Bend, Oregon; the factory fully stands behind all their Asian-made guitars, and they do it from HERE... you wouldn't have to deal with a "middle man" to try to communicate with a company in Korea or China. Breedlove's customer service is reminiscent of what Taylor used to be, before they got so huge. Taylor's customer service is STILL very good, just not quite how it used to be...

There are other choices as well... search them out and try them for yourself. Oh, and when you find one that you REALLY like? BUY IT ON THE SPOT! Don't think you can futz around with ordering one on line for a better price, because the guitar you get will NOT sound like the one that you played and loved...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I think the low end Yamahas are overrated, more than a bit. However, i know that a lot of folks love their inexpensive Yammies and I'm not wanting to start some "flame" rampage...

Suffice to say that their are MANY other guitars that fit your criteria within the price range. One notable one would be the Breedlove Discovery CE series (w/ cutaway and electronics and gig bag, ~$400)... the ones I've seen have the Concert body ( like a OOO or OM) and have been very well finished and quite playable...

As to the sound? Well, at your price point, you don't get to insist on the sound of the thing, I'm afraid. That said, even though they're laminate wood guitars (solid top in the Discovery Series), there can be a vast difference in tone and volume between two guitars in the same series, even the same brands...

I have played some of the CE Discovery guitars that have been a little "dull" sounding, but I've also played a fair number of them that sounded really good to my ears. Nice thing about Breedlove is that they are based in Bend, Oregon; the factory fully stands behind all their Asian-made guitars, and they do it from HERE... you wouldn't have to deal with a "middle man" to try to communicate with a company in Korea or China. Breedlove's customer service is reminiscent of what Taylor used to be, before they got so huge. Taylor's customer service is STILL very good, just not quite how it used to be...

There are other choices as well... search them out and try them for yourself. Oh, and when you find one that you REALLY like? BUY IT ON THE SPOT! Don't think you can futz around with ordering one on line for a better price, because the guitar you get will NOT sound like the one that you played and loved...
Re: buy on the spot if you really like it - definitely. At low price range as with all guitars there are ones where all the woods and components work together exceptionally well producing an excellent instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion