The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 04:33 AM

Default Never played a Taylor

I've never played or even touched a Taylor acoustic. I have no yen to do so either. Am I odd? Or could it be that every Taylor I see either has a cutaway or knobs on the side. Must admit I am not a fan of either. But, when I see contributors raving about their Taylors I really want to know why and what is so special, to some, about the Taylor sound and feel. Sorry, I just remembered I have owned a Taylor gs mini for about two months.

Last edited by mickthemiller; 12-11-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

I prefer non-cutaways and no electronics.

For me it was the sound the guitar made - sustains forever and super clear notes.

And, on top of that , very playable.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 AM

They play great and sound great. They come in a great variety of shapes and woods.

You can also get them with no electronics and no cutaway.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-11-2017, 06:10 AM

You started a thread to say you have never played a Taylor and forgot about a guitar you bought only two months ago??
Old 12-11-2017, 06:16 AM

I own my second Taylor now, so I am far from an expert on them, however from my personal experience plus loads of material, reviews I red and videos I've watched, my summary bellow.

Playability. This is where Taylor kills it - they come set up out of the box, most comfortable neck profile and lowest action.

Shape. In my opinion Grand Auditorium is the best shape ever invented - not too big, not too small, very comfortable to hold and looks a lot more elegant than your classic dread. I like Venetian Cutaway too, even though I don't play up a lot and I don't think it has noticeable impact on sound at all.

Build. Taylors are known for their consistent build quality, be it 1xx series or 9xx series, it's not a lottery like with a lot of other brands.

Electronics. When I watched some youtube videos comparing microphone recording vs Expression System 2 I was not impressed, but when I tried it myself at home I was quite surprised - it didn't sound nearly as bad as I thought it would.

Design. Subjective again, but I think Taylors are the most modern looking guitars and that's my personal preference.

Innovation. Guitar as an instrument has been around for ages, so there's not much to innovate, or so you'd think. Something like TaylorSense that monitors your guitar 247 is a very useful gadget.

I'm sure there are lot of other details to mention, but maybe people with more experience will pitch in.

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm glad you've never played a Taylor. They are like peanuts - you can't resist the first one and then you can't have just one.

Ooops. Now you've had one.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:39 AM

Up until two years ago, I had only played one Taylor, albeit briefly - a GA all hog, which I liked, but wasn't in a position to buy at the time. Just over a year later, in my search for a 12 fretter, I played a 712e, which made me go "Wow!" I now own a 712e and a 354ce 12 string. Believe the flagwaving - it's not hype: they are amongst the easiest playing guitars you will find.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
...when I see contributors raving about their Taylors I really want to know why and what is so special, to some, about the Taylor sound and feel.
Sounds like you need to play a few and find out for yourself.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I prefer non-cutaways and no electronics.

For me it was the sound the guitar made - sustains forever and super clear notes.

And, on top of that , very playable.
Ditto. Although I don't believe that Taylor does a very good job of advertising this, one can order pretty much all models without factory electronics or cutaway. What's there to like about Taylor guitars? I think Samogitian summed it up very nicely although my personal taste is for more traditional looking Taylors like my 714 and 814 with wood binding and no cutaway....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-11-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:59 AM

I didn't play a Martin or a Taylor for 50 years. If you're odd then I'm probably nuts. It's all about having the funds, the right oppertunity and setting priorities. Not everyone needs either brand to play and practice but when you set your mind to something anything can be achieved.

I now own 3 Martins, 2 Taylors, 1 Santa Cruz, 1 Ibanez, 1 Gibson and 1 Fender and have owned multiple high end electrics along the route. Besides that I invested a lot of money into my home studio and equipment just because I set my mind to owning it all. I set everything aside to get it, inspite of being ripped off by my junky brother and loosing almost everything, including my house.

It took a long time to get back on track but I'm there now again, 30 years after this desasterous period. If you think a Martin or Taylor is what you really want then you must work towards that goal since fortune only befalls a very few.

I may even get me a Somogyi an Olson or a Kevin Ryan, just to hear what the hype is all about, if I get the funds, just because like you I'm curious.

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 12-11-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 AM

Default Taylor

I've never owned one, but have played a couple, wanting to see what all this commotion was about. Nice guitars; they deserve the love that they get and when I see someone playing one, they get a certain degree of respect from me for recognizing this as well. But I have not played one that begged me to take it home. That's my ears, not anyone else's.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 AM

Try one and find out for yourself. Maybe you'll find one you love, maybe you'll prefer a different sound. It's your call.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Taylor

No, you're not odd. Don't sweat it. There are lots of guitars that I haven't played and I don't think I'd have any regrets in that department if I keeled over tomorrow. The name on the headstock is the last consideration, at least IMHO.

I am with you with regards to the holes, knobs, circuit boards, plastic battery compartments and other crud that comes along with most Taylor's now. I think it's a sin to punch holes in good wood when it's not needed. I almost cried when I saw the ES2 system and what they do to the bridges now. I haven't picked up a new Taylor in a shop to try them since.

I understand that Taylor has a target market and it's working for them, and I say "Go for it." It's just not something I'd buy. There are plenty of other guitars out there.

The Taylor in my sig has only one big hole in the front, where the only hole in a guitar should be. It's a mid 90's custom and many of us believe that what Taylor made in the 90's were some of the best they ever made.

I added a K&K Mini just because I thought I should have one guitar with a pick up and I don't think I've used it twice in all the time I've owned it.

Anyway, thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent.

End of diatribe...............................
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 AM

I also much prefer the non-cutaway variants. I have the ES2 in all of mine, which is a bit of a moot point at the moment since I don't plug in. Taylor is....Taylor, although they're a little more versatile than what you might hear on the internet.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 AM

OP you are not doing yourself any favors by deliberately ignoring Taylor guitars. Keep an open mind.....

While not everyone prefers their "modern" tone compared to Martin, they are unsurpassed in build quality, consistency and playability out of the box.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion