The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 11:16 AM

This is the best review I've seen yet on the Jr. Thanks for posting, Drplayer. This should crank up the GAS for those who've been sitting on the fence! My own Jr should be coming in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait.

Interesting what you said about supply and demand and its effect on quality control etc. I don't know that there's anything more they could do to streamline manufacturing that they haven't already done (you mentioned possibly cutting corners), but perhaps they would be as selective about materials. Still, I don't know anything about modern manufacturing so you might be correct.

And you're definitely correct about the price not going down and possibly going up in the short term. I've seen the same selling price everywhere, even among our sponsors who typically discount. I guess discounts will come after supply catches up with demand.

For the others who got in on this early round of availability, congrats and enjoy your Jrs. Can't wait to see the discussions about different strings on the Jr, mods, etc.

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM

Default price

I'm not sure if talking price is ok or not, but if it is,
are most people paying the $599 price tag, or can
you get that price down a bit?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM

The second one of these posts I have read recently. Just a pain they are not due in the UK until July/August
Old 04-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
Interesting what you said about supply and demand and its effect on quality control etc. I don't know that there's anything more they could do to streamline manufacturing that they haven't already done (you mentioned possibly cutting corners), but perhaps they would be as selective about materials. Still, I don't know anything about modern manufacturing so you might be correct. Thanks again.
You're welcome... Let me clarify that I made that comment pertaining to supply & demand and it's relationship to quality only as a possible risk, based on my manufacturing experience. By "cutting corners" I didn't mean streamlining, but more like bypassing things that would normally be done. But, Martin is a very successful company, and for all I know, they are well geared up for this guitar and plenty capable of handling whatever influx in demand there might be. My personal decision simply erred on the side of caution...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I'm not sure if talking price is ok or not, but if it is,
are most people paying the $599 price tag, or can
you get that price down a bit?
I don't believe you can get them any lower then that, maybe if they flop a couple of years from now....

Even Maury's website said something about no coupons or discounts on these.

Just be thankful that they are not going for list price...
Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
So, the GS Mini has a scale length of 23.5"
and the Dread Jr. has a scale length of 24"

Have you found that half inch difference noticeable?
I don't have a GS Mini any longer to make a real-time direct comparison, but 1/2" is pretty significant. Think of it as the difference between an OM and a 000 14-fret, or a D-18 and a J-45. Generally I prefer a short-scale on a full sized guitar; however, in this case, I like the extra 1/2", as it gives you a little more room on an already extra-short scale.

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! I'd like to try one of these out. Congrats
Old 04-10-2015, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Received mine via Sweetwater a couple hours ago and I am very, very impressed. I've owned three GS Mini's in the last few years and this one is a significant improvement in just about every way, but most importantly in the sound. It is surprisingly resonant with above average sustain and way louder than it should be for its size. The neck profile is a bit deeper than I like but I'll live with that because of its other attributes. The pick-up sounds very good through my Carvin AG300 too. I did change out the strings almost immediately to my favorites (Martin Clapton's Choice lt. gauge) and I had a set of bone pins sitting around that I used to replace the plastic ones and those things further improved the sound. I am dead sure Martin has a BIG winner with this guitar at this price point. No, it does not sound as good as my 000-18 or certainly not as loud as my J-45, but hey, for 1/3 the cost, no complaints!
Old 04-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Maybe I missed it in your great description, but what is the difference in size when compared to a full sized dred?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Received mine via Sweetwater a couple hours ago and I am very, very impressed. I've owned three GS Mini's in the last few years and this one is a significant improvement in just about every way, but most importantly in the sound. It is surprisingly resonant with above average sustain and way louder than it should be for its size. The neck profile is a bit deeper than I like but I'll live with that because of its other attributes. The pick-up sounds very good through my Carvin AG300 too. I did change out the strings almost immediately to my favorites (Martin Clapton's Choice lt. gauge) and I had a set of bone pins sitting around that I used to replace the plastic ones and those things further improved the sound. I am dead sure Martin has a BIG winner with this guitar at this price point. No, it does not sound as good as my 000-18 or certainly not as loud as my J-45, but hey, for 1/3 the cost, no complaints!
Congrats and glad you're another happy customer! I did forget to mention in the OP that I too will be changing out the strings...most likely to John Pearse 700M (phosphor bronze mediums). It comes stock with Martin SP Lifespans, and although I understand why they ship from the factory with them, I've yet to find a coated string that sounded as good as a comparable un-coated string. Given how nice it sounds with the Lifespans, I'm anticipating it will shine even more with the JP's!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukie View Post
Maybe I missed it in your great description, but what is the difference in size when compared to a full sized dred?
According to the Martin web-site, "...the Dreadnought Junior is reduced to approximately 15/16” of the full Martin 14-fret Dreadnought dimension (14 ¼” width at the lower bout)". Most are referring to it as a 3/4 scale guitar.

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
According to the Martin web-site, "...the Dreadnought Junior is reduced to approximately 15/16” of the full Martin 14-fret Dreadnought dimension (14 ¼” width at the lower bout)". Most are referring to it as a 3/4 scale guitar.
Quoted to add: The Yamaha Jr-1/2 and the Taylor Baby are 3/4 sized dreads...
Old 04-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Seems to me that 3/4 would be "12/16". Am I missing something?
Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukie View Post
Seems to me that 3/4 would be "12/16". Am I missing something?
Yep, I agree...not sure why some are calling it that. If the Baby Taylor is a 3/4 sized (as Taylor states on their web site), the D Jr. is definitely not.

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-10-2015, 05:30 PM

Congrats on your new Jr!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion