The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Yamaha A1MVN

Has anyone seen/ played this guitar ? I drifted into Guitar Center for strings, stopped into their acoustic guitar room and picked this guitar up on a whim- after 2omin of playing I wanted to buy it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...intage-natural
Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Very nice guitar for it's price, smooth sounding and plays easy. I love the neck on these Yamaha A series
Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 PM

Great guitars plugged in for sure. Probably sound great because of the torrefied top and scalloped braces too, especially in the bass department.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:02 AM

Any A series is a good buy
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 AM

How many guitars do you already have? What is lacking in your other guitars that an A1M can supply?

A1M's are nice units. I use mine outdoors and as a loaner.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Actually nothing.
Live/ solo I prefer to tune my guitar ( a vintage Gibson AJ) 1/2 step down, this to facilitate vocals. However I sometimes play with others who standard tune, A440. In those situations it would be nice to have a backup tuned to standard, rather than use a capo or retune.
I have the one acoustic 6-string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
What is lacking in your other guitars that an A1M can supply?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Had an A1M for a while and really liked it a lot. Was surprised that the A3M didn't really sound much better. The 3 series has much better electronics, but if you don't play mic'd that often the A1 is a great buy.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM

I own one of those and am really impressed with the quality for its price point. I bought mine at GC and liked the playability and tone as much or more than guitars costing much more. The electronics aren’t bad, at least in my experience. I also tried an AC3R the day I bought mine and didn’t hear enough of a difference acoustically to justify the higher cost. I was also really wanting a dread-sized guitar. I am hoping to find an A5 to try out to see how their high end compares.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I like that one and the new solid wood parlor. What a wow that parlor is for 600 ish dollars. Yamaha is hard to beat for the buck!

Gotta ask
Thee Jon Butcher? If yes I have great pictures of you performing at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh opening for Rush. I think the Grace under Pressure tour
Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Greetings Kitchen Guitars, yes! In fact, that Rush tour started out to be a tough nut to crack, die hard RUSH fans wanted no part of an opening act..until we convinced them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I like that one and the new solid wood parlor. What a wow that parlor is for 600 ish dollars. Yamaha is hard to beat for the buck!

Gotta ask
Thee Jon Butcher? If yes I have great pictures of you performing at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh opening for Rush. I think the Grace under Pressure tour
Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmac62 View Post
I own one of those and am really impressed with the quality for its price point. I bought mine at GC and liked the playability and tone as much or more than guitars costing much more. The electronics aren’t bad, at least in my experience. I also tried an AC3R the day I bought mine and didn’t hear enough of a difference acoustically to justify the higher cost. I was also really wanting a dread-sized guitar. I am hoping to find an A5 to try out to see how their high end compares.
I compared a AC1M with a AC3M side by side and couldn't hear a difference
Old 04-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmac62 View Post
How does the A1M compare to your 214ce dlx?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:59 PM

That’s a good question. I can’t say one sounds better than the other acoustically but they have a slightly different voice. The Yamaha is a bit bigger so has maybe a touch more on the bass side. Plugged in is a toss up to me. Neither being great but definitely useable. The necks seem pretty similar but the Taylor just has something about it that makes it feel like a higher quality instrument which is good considering about an $800 price difference. In hindsight my thought is this: if I’d have gotten the Yamaha before the Taylor, I probably wouldn’t own the Taylor. I would have saved up more money and jumped to the $2k & up all solid price range, i.e. D18, D28, J45, Larivee, 400 series & up Taylor, etc...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion