The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 06:40 AM

Could folks post some pics of just what the finished nails look like? Are they pretty noticeable?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
These acrylic nails are terrible for your fingernails' health from everything I've read.
Everything you have read is a load of nonsense ... the same people who penned that garbage probably also said that the nails need to "breathe" ...LOL ...
Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Everything you have read is a load of nonsense ... the same people who penned that garbage probably also said that the nails need to "breathe" ...LOL ...
A BIG +1...I suggest folks see and actually read this thread...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 AM

I use my natural nails to pick with and like anyone occasionally a nail might split or break and in the past have had acrylic pasted over the split or a false acrylic nail added. And I love that my nail is fixed, but I'm firmly on the 'it's so bad for your natural nails' camp. Once acylics are on,they're on.

Last week I needed a fix to a split and went to a new salon and they fixed the split by usong a Shellac polish which so far I'm very pleased with. It doesn't extend ypur nails, just goes ontop, but it could certainly help your natural nails grow longer. What's really good is that it should last at least 3 weeks and can be taken off easily by the salon leaving you with longer natural nails or replaced. And they look natural, just glossy.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:27 AM

alright folks! I got it done last night and it was a really good experience! The nail salon i went to actually had a lady who had done nails for a guitar player for many years, and knew exactly what she was doing.

she actually put on a plastic tip, cut it to size, and put a powder/hardening liquid over it and sanded it down. It looks totally natural, and doesn't stand out at all, but my nails are perfect length for me and much stronger! For 15 bucks (tip included) i honestly think it's the cheapest guitar related purchase I've ever made. I"m curious to see how long they will last...

I'll post pics afterwork today.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Default first time getting acrylics done, advice?

Did your tech fill the acrylic all the way up to the cuticle? If so, you'll need to go back and have the gap "filled" when your nail grows it out.

This is one of the main reasons I only apply acrylic to half the length of my nail bed and file it to blend into my natural nail. I never have to "fill" and just reapply when it grows off the tip.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:24 PM

I really think this is the way to go for steel string guitarists. Classical guitarists also get more power out of the guitar and better volume. The tone is more consistent and balanced than just using your natural nails. I'm never going back!!
Cheers!

Steve
Bandcamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
finger picks, fingerpicking, fingerstyle, nails