The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Smile Two Ryan Cathedrals Video Comparison 2013 and 2003

I posted this video up yesterday while I had two Ryan Cathedrals in the house both the same woods, one newer from 2013 with the EO bracing and one with the previous style bracing from 2003. I thought I'd share on here because its rare to hear for the most part just the bracing difference. The newer one has a cutaway as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QfJp_kZ0OQ
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Thanks, I appreciate your contributions to the guitar community. I liked the sound of the older one because the trebles were better balanced and more clear. It seemed to me that the g thru E strings were about the same on the two guitars. Ill be interested to read what others with better ears have to say.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM

A fun comparison video Bobby...THANKS!

One question...same strings on each? Same age of strings and/or amount of play time/wear on them? That would be the one simple "control" a person could implement that would help in a compare/contrast set up like this.

I liked the tone of both of them...I thought the older guitar was noticeably more fundamental and took the strumming with the pick MUCH better than the newer one...much less string zing and pick scrape noise, and with both the fingerpicking and strumming, the older guitars more fundamental overall timbre gave it a more of a certain clarity or perhaps articulation is a better term for it, note to note, or chord to chord relative to the newer guitar.

The newer one had a great voice for gentle smooth fingerstyle...think Ed Gerhard per se'...and I bet it really excels in dropped tunings like DADGAD or double drop D, and other altered tunings. Very lush voice.

It's funny...this comparison of the two older/newer Ryan's is very similar in result to what I have heard on comparisons of older and newer Somogyi's. If you go back to the late 70's early 80's Somogyi guitars, the voice of his guitars was WAY more fundamental...way way more fundamental...than his newer instruments.

It would be interesting to do this same test with an old/early Goodall versus a newer one, and see what you might find...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

duff

They both had John Pearse New Mediums on them which is close in gauge to what Ryan Recommends for his instruments. Kind of a DADGAD set, like the D'Addario EJ24s.

I would very much love to compare a 80s, 90s, 00s, and newer Ft Bragg built Goodall Standard in the same way. I've played over 40 or so Goodalls but I've never had any from the 80s in my hand. I've played some from the other decades but never in the same room at the same time. I love Goodall guitars and I'm sad to not currently have one in the stable.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
duff

They both had John Pearse New Mediums on them which is close in gauge to what Ryan Recommends for his instruments. Kind of a DADGAD set, like the D'Addario EJ24s.

I would very much love to compare a 80s, 90s, 00s, and newer Ft Bragg built Goodall Standard in the same way. I've played over 40 or so Goodalls but I've never had any from the 80s in my hand. I've played some from the other decades but never in the same room at the same time. I love Goodall guitars and I'm sad to not currently have one in the stable.
I've got a 1990 Goodall Standard EIR, number 400 made in FT Bragg. They truly are amazing guitars. I was hoping to come take a look at your Ryan and do an A/B comparison, but it sold pretty fast. Since you have had both, do you notice a big difference between Goodall and Ryan?
Here's a little tune I recorded on my Goodall: https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/n...nnings-goodall

Knowing how you flip guitars, I'm sure you'll have another Goodall soon...
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 09-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for making this video....!!! RAD
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
duff

Kevin’s signature strings are essentially ultra lights...not lights and definitely not new mediums. That said, new mediums sound really good on a Ryan
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Kevin’s signature strings are essentially ultra lights...not lights and definitely not new mediums. That said, new mediums sound really good on a Ryan
Unless something has changed drastically, Kevin's strings are made by D'Addario and have heavier 1st, 2nd, and 6th strings, same as most "new mediums". The pack I have in front of me shows:

1: .013
2: .017
3: .024
4: .032
5: .042
6: .056

Basically, exactly the same as D'Addario's True Medium EJ24s. Does he make some other set? I've never known of an ultra-light set from him. Mine say "Fingerstyle Gauge" and is what came with my Ryans.

Nice Cathedrals, BTW!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Unless something has changed drastically, Kevin's strings are made by D'Addario and have heavier 1st, 2nd, and 6th strings, same as most "new mediums". The pack I have in front of me shows:

1: .013
2: .017
3: .024
4: .032
5: .042
6: .056

Basically, exactly the same as D'Addario's True Medium EJ24s. Does he make some other set? I've never known of an ultra-light set from him. Mine say "Fingerstyle Gauge" and is what came with my Ryans.

Nice Cathedrals, BTW!
I think so, but I could be wrong
Old 09-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Wonderful comparo, Bobby! Been looking forward to this ever since you mentioned you have that 2013 inbound.

To my ears, the 2013 had a little more chime/sparkle at the trebles, but they both sound pretty close overall. I would probably fail doing a blind A/B test on these bad boys LOL!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Bobby for the Ryan comparison. They do have some similarities.
Was nice to hear back n forth the finger style showing. I give a nod to your new one. Happy tunes to you!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Nice video Super... I agree with Tippy with a slight preference for the newer one.

Which one do you like better?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop