The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-26-2018, 04:39 AM

Default Luthier Stories Video - Catching up with Stefan Sobell

Hello everyone,

I spent a day this week with Stefan Sobell, arguably one of the finest instrument makers the UK has ever produced and certainly a pivotal figure in this Golden Age of steel string luthiery. His work with Martin Simpson led directly to a resurgence in interest in the luthier built guitar and to the worldwide influence of Dream Guitars on both the guitar buying public and luthiers alike.

I had last seen Stefan 8 years ago and was looking forward to recording his first ever guitar for my Iconic Instruments series on YouTube and spending the rest of the day hanging out and playing guitar. In essence that's exactly what happened, but I kept the mics and camera rolling throughout and can now share them with you in my latest Luthier Stories video.

This isn't an interview as much as two friends catching up and I hope you'll enjoy the conversation and the sublime guitars. I would advise headphones or good speakers for this one to avoid missing some of the detail of these incredible instruments.

BTW you can see that first Sobell guitar in this video too!

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

Last edited by Michael Watts; 08-26-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:39 AM

Always good to see a video from you, Michael.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Thank you Michael, I enjoyed both videos a lot. I also very much enjoyed your segment previously submitted with Rory Dowling.

Wonderful to be able to do these and thanks for sharing.

Tom
Old 08-26-2018, 10:46 AM

Michael, thank you for visiting to record this interview, which I greatly enjoyed. Also for the post interview editing, which must have taken a while.

To those who have watched the video, my apologies for answering Michael so slowly. I just about forgot this was for a video and took far too long considering my replies. Michael should have brought along an electric cattle prod and given me a jab from time to time.

But I hope that, despite this, you enjoyed Michael's video.

Stefan Sobell
Old 08-26-2018, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the forum Mr. Sobell. I hope you look around and enjoy it as much as us common folk do!!!!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Great interview. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
Always good to see a video from you, Michael.
Thank you! I hope you'll enjoy the next ones too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you Michael, I enjoyed both videos a lot. I also very much enjoyed your segment previously submitted with Rory Dowling.

Wonderful to be able to do these and thanks for sharing.

Tom
Thanks for watching Tom and for your kind words. I look forward to sharing more in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Sobell View Post
Michael, thank you for visiting to record this interview, which I greatly enjoyed. Also for the post interview editing, which must have taken a while.

To those who have watched the video, my apologies for answering Michael so slowly. I just about forgot this was for a video and took far too long considering my replies. Michael should have brought along an electric cattle prod and given me a jab from time to time.

But I hope that, despite this, you enjoyed Michael's video.

Stefan Sobell
Ha! There you are! Welcome to the AGF Stefan, it's a friendly place. As for slowness, your slow gear is most people's fast so I wouldn't worry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Great interview. Thanks for sharing it.
Thank you sir, always a pleasure
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-09-2018, 05:18 PM

This was a great video to watch with just the right amount of talking and playing. Can't think of any luthier "interviews" that are better done than this.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
This was a great video to watch with just the right amount of talking and playing. Can't think of any luthier "interviews" that are better done than this.
Thank you my friend, that means a lot to me!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

This is a superb interview. I felt like I was THERE.

Beautiful guitars, beautiful playing. Great conversation, great editing.

Thanks so much, Michael, for taking the time and sharing your experience with all of us!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 AM

Default Sobell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
so true.....
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mr. Sobell...a well thought-out response is always preferable... no matter the amount of time that it takes to present it. I never once, though, found this interview to be the slightest bit boring or slow. Thank you for taking the time to share a little bit of ”You” with all of “Us,” Sir.

Michael...thank you for sharing this piece with us all. You never fail to entertain me with your videos...not to mention your playing. You are engaging, kind and funny...and simply come across as a genuinely nice human being. In today’s world, your caliber of person is golden...and appreciated. I look forward to meeting you in person, and hearing you play live one day.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
This is a superb interview. I felt like I was THERE.

Beautiful guitars, beautiful playing. Great conversation, great editing.

Thanks so much, Michael, for taking the time and sharing your experience with all of us!
I'm so glad! That's exactly how I was hoping you'd feel! Thanks so much for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfather View Post
so true.....
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Mr. Sobell...a well thought-out response is always preferable... no matter the amount of time that it takes to present it. I never once, though, found this interview to be the slightest bit boring or slow. Thank you for taking the time to share a little bit of ”You” with all of “Us,” Sir.

Michael...thank you for sharing this piece with us all. You never fail to entertain me with your videos...not to mention your playing. You are engaging, kind and funny...and simply come across as a genuinely nice human being. In today’s world, your caliber of person is golden...and appreciated. I look forward to meeting you in person, and hearing you play live one day.

Joel
Thank you Joel, I am truly humbled by your kind words and I hope to share many more videos with you in the future. I'm filming one tomorrow in fact!

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post

Joel
I think we can make that happen Joel....
Old 09-11-2018, 01:22 PM

I fist became obsessed with Sobells around 16 years ago. The internet was in its infancy and there was little information regarding them barring a few revered quotes from Martin Simpson in the odd guitar mag. Indeed, part of the allure was the mystery that seemed to surround them, at least to a guy like me who was used to Lowdens and Fyldes etc.

I remember calling Stefan all those years back and asking how much one cost - 2K - twice as much as a Lowden at the time! In the end I cracked and got one (a Model 0) and that guitar was the instrument that changed me into someone very serious about playing guitar as a hobby. It was on a different planet to anything I'd laid hands on previously. It kick-started my GAS (gee, thanks for that - not!), and I ended up buying one from Martin S, a lovely scantling BRW Model 1 that he brought along to a workshop.

I would have killed (well, not literally...) to have seen a video like this back then. It's stuffed full of very valuable information straight from the horses mouth, and you get to hear the guitars played expertly as well, and well recorded. What's not to like?

And also, nothing wrong at all with people who think before they open their mouth...

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop