The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 AM

You have an iphone? Dang you got it good. I don't even have a cell phone, let alone a smart phone. Then again, I don't want one. My Neanderthal lifestyle is much simpler without one.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
You have an iphone? Dang you got it good. I don't even have a cell phone, let alone a smart phone. Then again, I don't want one. My Neanderthal lifestyle is much simpler without one.
You've been checking the tracking on your Princess wall-phone??

Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ray;

You'll find that your beautiful ruby red Emerald will get a lot of general attention. It's not spectacular on this particular small sub-set forum, but in the general scope of things CF guitars are still somewhat a novelty.

The main consideration is whether the guitar matches your expectations. When I got my first Emerald my screen door stopped squeaking, my dog adored me more, and my playing improved ten-fold. Hope your experience is similar.

PS: I don't know where you got the idea that I was a good guy; you could be ruining a hard-earned reputation with that kind of talk. Next thing I know you'll be claiming that the Kramster is a a good guy. Sheesh.
Well, I was pretty much convinced you were a bad, bad man (and not in the good way) and now you say these nice things and throw me off the scent again.

I'm psyched about the X20 - I'll just have to see if I love enough to force my Martin out of here. And I know it will turn a lot of heads in places other than this sub-forum.

Mine is at my local post office, about three miles from where I sit. It's been there since 6:30 this morning. It's hasn't gone out for delivery yet - may have come in too late to make it today, but the tracking (yeah, I know, I know, we're spoiled with all this tracking) still says it should be delivered today. I'd go over and pick it up but I know from experience they don't work that way. USP and FedEx do if you arrange it in advances, but not USPS. So there it sits, within reach but untouchable. For now...
Old 09-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Got it, showed up noonish. First impressions are really good. Sounds more like a dread than my 000-15M does, also brighter, but that could be strings. Resonant as all get out. The neck and fretboard are both wider and flatter than I'm used to, but very comfortable and not a problem in the least. I'm sure it'll feel fully natural pretty quickly. The setup is unreal - action feels like my electrics - I can play all over the neck more easily than I can ever recall on an acoustic. Plugged it in briefly and it sounds fine for my meager plugged in needs, which is basically just to play acoustic tracks into my looper. No idea how good it could be made to sound - plugged in is not really my thing with acoustics...

Too soon to say with absolute certainty, but my guess is I'm gonna keep it, sell the Martin and return the Yamaha and this'll do it for a good long while. Since this one is wired, I might just see if I can go back to a Jim Dandy as a fun, cheap little parlor guitar. I actually dug the way that played and it sounded OK for how I used it, kind of like a scratchy old blues record. It's gonna be a while before I'd be able to buy anything like an X7, but I honestly don't think I'll need one. The Jim Dandy has about as much wood in it as these Emeralds do, is basically indestructible, and if it ever just up and dies on me, it's less than 1/10th the cost of an X7, so I could just replace it.

I'll probably do a NGD at some point, after I'm sure. But I'll be pretty surprised if this is anything but a keeper...

-Ray
Old 09-13-2018, 12:34 PM

Glad that your wait is over Ray...... let the bonding begin.

X20 is a really good acoustic sound, more like wood than some other CF guitars. I have wood guitars and I have an X20 - plus other CF guitars. The wooden ones rarely get played anymore, and even some of the other CF's are seeing less play time. Our X7 "classic" (an important distinction now that there are redesigned X7's out there) is smaller sounding and not as loud or as rich as the X20, but has a sound that is still quite nice on its own. I am curious about the newer and bigger X7's and their tone, and maybe the X10 too.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad that your wait is over Ray...... let the bonding begin.

X20 is a really good acoustic sound, more like wood than some other CF guitars. I have wood guitars and I have an X20 - plus other CF guitars. The wooden ones rarely get played anymore, and even some of the other CF's are seeing less play time. Our X7 "classic" (an important distinction now that there are redesigned X7's out there) is smaller sounding and not as loud or as rich as the X20, but has a sound that is still quite nice on its own. I am curious about the newer and bigger X7's and their tone, and maybe the X10 too.
Yeah, it's funny, when I play it back to back with my Martin, the Martin definitely sounds and feels more "wooden", no question. But when I just play the X20 for a while, it sounds like an acoustic guitar is supposed to. It starts taking on characteristics of a wood sound if I don't compare it too immediately. It holds up to everything but an A-B test. I swapped the strings back to my usual PBs from the 80/20 it shipped with and it sounds closer to the Martin. Definitely different, but I wouldn't say better or worse.

If all things were equal, I'd probably stay with the Martin just for familiarity's sake. But all things are not equal and a combination of the humidity impervious nature of the X20 and the amazing almost strat like playability, and the electronics almost surely tips the balance in favor of the X20... And it's kind of funny, but from across the room when you can't see the CF weave pattern, the dark red of this X20 doesn't look all that different from my mahogany Martin... Except for shape and that very different sound hole location...

In any case, my short, short wait is finally over at short last and I can just get down to living with this...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:56 PM

I am happy you got your X20, they are a great guitar.
Enjoy.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 09-13-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Ray;

The thing about Martins is that they have a traditional sound, one that has been accepted by generations of players--it is almost like a genetic inheritance. At first, a lot of Martin payers with new CF guitars will give the Martin points for sound and the CF points for everything else. But give it a little time and you will probably find, like many have, that the CF starts to nudge out the Martin in terms of sound preference. I believe that CF guitars in general are more precise than wooden instruments and are more nuanced in the tonal variations possible with different strings.

In any event, congratulations on a great guitar, I look forward to subsequent reports.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Holy Cow, just checked my tracking # and my order is about 8 miles away, may get it tomorrow.

Alistair emailed me apologizing about not doing the pin-less bridge mod. He acknowledged it was his fault, it was plainly on the order and bill, he over looked it. He wants to make it right and offered to ship it back so they can make the mod. I don't think so. It's not that big of a deal, I've got the files to ramp them myself. I'm good with just a credit towards my next Emerald.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Congrats Ray! you've opened the portal now!!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 AM

Gorgeous guitar!

Could anyone share what strings Emerald ships out on their guitars? Brand and gauge please, there is nothing on their website that I could find. Thanks!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Gorgeous guitar!

Could anyone share what strings Emerald ships out on their guitars? Brand and gauge please, there is nothing on their website that I could find. Thanks!
I lost the little tag that came on my X20 but they were D'Addario 80/20s and I'm pretty sure they were 12-53, but not positive... That's the best of my recollection, but it was just yesterday, so it's probably right...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 AM

just to put this thread back on track.... it was about jwellsy's red Emerald beast. I look forward to your thoughts when you get yer paws on it!
Old 09-14-2018, 01:29 PM

Have you ever known by strumming one chord whether or not your going to love a guitar?

I just picked up the Emerald Ruby Cross at the Post Office. That ride home with the box was the worst part of all the waiting, I was a nervous wreck. The shipping carton was in good shape. But when I dug the hard case out of all the packaging material, 3 of the 5 buckles were undone. I thought uh-oh, almost afraid to look inside. I've seen heads snapped off even with all buckles closed. But there was no damage to any of the buckles or case exterior. When I opened the case, it was a Pulp Fiction briefcase moment. I swear it looked like a refrigerator light turned on and think there may have also been a couple of angles sing an AAAAAAAAAAAAA. This is by far the coolest guitar I have ever actually seen. As I suspected in person with normal room lighting the colors are more subdued than the glamor shots. However, the cross feature still stands out and really draws you into it to explore the visual feast.

I ordered this guitar as a retirement guitar. The plan was to thin down the heard and retire with just an Emerald for playing anywhere and a Martin D35 (which I don't have yet) for playing indoors.

My favorite chord is a G. I love the bass heavy broad spectrum of a G. When I struck that first G chord and got a face full of warm goodness it almost took my breath away. This thing is a canon that force feeds your soul. I have to say I am stunned how this multi-scale length X30 sounds. I think an involuntary expletive or two would probably be appropriate here somewhere for emphasis.

It's been a few months since I played a D35. But, from what I remember of the D35 I don't think it sounded as good as this fanned fret X30. The articulation and note separation are great. I may have to play around with the B string a bit, it seamed to jump out ever so slightly on the first strum but tamed itself down after that, maybe I was just fat fingering something. Anyway with this tone, I'm seriously rethinking whether or not to get a D35. The Ruby Cross satisfies that desire for a D35 sound (IMHO).

Not only will the Ruby Cross inspire me to play more, but it's also going to force me to have better technique. I've always had a bad habit of looking at the fretboard. Between my round belly and this big bout, I can't really see the front of the fretboard very well. So I'll have to use the top fret markers, which should make me a better player. Don't get wrong, it's not uncomfortable to play at all. That arm bevel is wonderful.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Let's try posting these pics a different way for a better look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber