The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Thank you! it's probably true that such EIR grain pattern is quite rare among guitars!

My motivation for redwood is mainly to get more crispiness compared to my cedar, whilst retaining the light touch responsiveness.. Before I commissioned this Avalon, I tried a redwood Lowden as a rough yardstick to see if that's what I was looking for... it was, and that Lowden redwood was exactly the sound and response I wanted (but at double the price)!

I tried 2 Goodall redwoods before that, and though they were very nice guitars, I felt it didn't give me the touch response like a typical cedar Goodall did.

The most satisfying redwood guitar I've tried to date definitely is the Lowden I just described. and I'm hoping that my new Avalon will match or beat that Lowden..!!
Thanks for explaining. I seem to be working my way backwards from spruce towards redwood...looking for a bit warmer sound than spruce but can still handle medium strumming. Which I've heard redwood can do. Depending on the builder and the specific top???

I can't wait to hear your Avalon! Congratulations!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:36 AM

CITES can be such a troublesome thing! My Avalon was stuck 4 days in fedex Ireland, just waiting for the cites paperwork to go through!

finally after 4 days stuck in cites, it travelled over the weekend, and finally landed this afternoon in the destination distribution center.

I hope I can get it delivered to me tomorrow!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Congratulations man! IT looks amazing! Beautiful woods and I bet it will sound gorgeous with that Redwood top!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 AM

IT HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

I'm a very proud owner of a custom Avalon now!

Thanks guys for following my thread! it's been such a long journey for me to this day, and thank God for the opportunity to embark on my first custom journey with Avalon (:
Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 AM

Congrats. Make sure you tell us how it sounds!
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Liquidation of Avalon !!?!

Hi

How's it going with the guitar ? I just back my custom guitar recently, and Steve from Avalon has not been responding to my email for about a month now I asked again for news today ... And I just got this message (I changed the name) It doesn't sound good at all :

to me

Dear XXX,

I regret to inform you that Avalon Custom Lutherie Ltd. has gone into liquidation and is no longer operating. However, negotiations are underway with the former owners to begin a new company. We will keep you informed of any developments.

In the meantime, if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the administrator at this email address: [email protected]

Regards,

J Xxxxxxx

Administrative Director

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 10-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post
Hi

How's it going with the guitar ? I just back my custom guitar recently, and Steve from Avalon has not been responding to my email for about a month now I asked again for news today ... And I just got this message (I changed the name) It doesn't sound good at all :

to me

Dear XXX,

I regret to inform you that Avalon Custom Lutherie Ltd. has gone into liquidation and is no longer operating. However, negotiations are underway with the former owners to begin a new company. We will keep you informed of any developments.

In the meantime, if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the administrator at this email address: [email protected]

Regards,

J Xxxxxxx

Administrative Director
this is a shocker!!! I'm not too sure how to confirm this, but if it's true, I'm speechless...
Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Hi

to me

Dear XXX,

Regards,

J Xxxxxxx

Administrative Director
This must be erroneous. Avalon had a liquidation in 2012 - perhaps someone inadvertantly sent you an email that was crafted back then?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
This must be erroneous. Avalon had a liquidation in 2012 - perhaps someone inadvertantly sent you an email that was crafted back then?
however this time the email uses the latest name - Avalon custom Lutherie.. which is the current company's name.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
however this time the email uses the latest name - Avalon custom Lutherie.. which is the current company's name.
I guess you are right! Second time around...

https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3118991
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I hope they find a way out of this...these Avalons were/are top notch
Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post

I've been in contact with Avalon for the past year and a half regarding a custom build. During those past 8 months there has been so much turmoil in the company. This has made the whole process with them quite complicated (I got to know that close to the end of completion). My guitar ended up the way I wanted to, but they made many mistakes along the way and I had to ship it back to them to fix which took about 6 months.

I've been told by Steve that Jim left the company not so long ago. But now it comes to this, so I don't really know what's going on.

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-10-2018 at 06:33 AM. Reason: unnecessary accusation
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Why would I be lying ?

I've been in contact with Avalon for the past year and a half regarding a custom build. During those past 8 months there has been so much turmoil in the company. This has made the whole process with them quite complicated (I got to know that close to the end of completion). My guitar ended up the way I wanted to, but they made many mistakes along the way and I had to ship it back to them to fix which took about 6 months.

I've been told by Steve that Jim left the company not so long ago. But now it comes to this, so I don't really know what's going on.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had so many issues with your custom order... I hope your guitar has been satisfactorily fixed by them already?

now that we know that they're in liquidation for certain, we can only pray for the best for Steve and company...

so, grosskate, when can I see your build thread?? (:
Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that you've had so many issues with your custom order... I hope your guitar has been satisfactorily fixed by them already?

now that we know that they're in liquidation for certain, we can only pray for the best for Steve and company...

so, grosskate, when can I see your build thread?? (:
Yes they fixed it all ... But trust me it was a long hassle.

In the end I have a wonderful sounding guitar. Best sounding guitar I've ever played

I Haven't had time to post the building thread it, I might not have the courage to so. But the final pictures can be seen here :

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66700219@N02/iTxuqF

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Yes they fixed it all ... But trust me it was a long hassle.

In the end I have a wonderful sounding guitar. Best sounding guitar I've ever played

I Haven't had time to post the building thread it, I might not have the courage to so. But the final pictures can be seen here :

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66700219@N02/iTxuqF
oh my! your guitar is lovely beyond words!! it's a fan fret ziricote on sinker redwood... oh wow... what a visual treat!

I can imagine how proud you are of your new guitar!

once again, simply lovely!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop