The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Default New Toy - Guitalele GL1

Well yesterday I received my Guitalele, Yamaha GL1. Now I have three toys to play with every day. Yesterday and today I played on the Guitalele and no pain for my hand so maybe I now can play six string again.

Is it better to search, find and use material written for guitalele or simply play it as a standard guitar? I do not sing nor do I play for anyone who is singing. I play mostly for mysef and family at home.

What strings would be the loudest and warmest on a guitalele?

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 AM

I bought some 17" scale guitalele strings made by Aquila and they are a huge upgrade from the originals. I got them from Strings and Beyond I believe. Be sure you buy the correct scale since some sets are 20" scale.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 AM

I’ve had mine for several years now, and I just use standard D’Addario nylon strings for guitar... They seem to work fine and are much better-sounding than the strings that came on the little guy.

The Yamaha is fun to play and certainly handy, but I’ve since moved up to one of the Córdoba “mini” guitars, which I’ve found to be the ultimate “armchair” instrument and I play it much more than my full-size nylon-string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments