The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2018, 02:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Pick Up The World Installed: Wow!

Howdy, folks. Just this week I had a Pick Up the World unit installed in one of my EPI Masterbilt AJ-500s. All I can say is wow. It's still too early to tell, but this rig easily rivals my Trance Audio and Baggs units in other guitars.

I've hated pu's my entire life and am FINALLY getting close to the natural, woody sound I've always sought.

BTW, some kind soul on this board (but I forget who!) sold me a clean, used unit and want to thank him. Perhaps he'll come into this thread and post.

Would love others to share their experiences, positive or negative, with this pickup system.

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 02-10-2018, 03:36 PM

Glad you like your PUTW system! It's funny I posted a direct recording/video I made recently and the thread sunk like a brick!! I assumed no one was interested in these pickups any more. I am pretty happy with my results here, as well as how it behaves in a live environment.

Here's the video:

Here's the thread with a bit more background (it's actually just my single post in this thread):

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=498754
Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 PM

It doth sound good.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your post. Wonderful sounding pickup. A while back I heard this demo at the PUTW site. I thought that's a mic … can't be a pickup! Guess I was wrong.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 PM

I have putw pickups in both of my open back Banjo’s. Great stuff! They have a nice warm sound, and are fairly feedback resistant
Old 02-10-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I've used a PUTW#54 (along with a condenser mic) for 15 years or so. It replaced a K&K pickup (also with condenser mic). I've found no reason to change that pickup for anything else that has come along since.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Wasn't there an issue with the adhesive coming loose over time with these pickups?

Last edited by Petty1818; 02-11-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Thanks for your post. Wonderful sounding pickup. A while back I heard this demo at the PUTW site. I thought that's a mic … can't be a pickup! Guess I was wrong.
I can't quite put my finger on why that's likeable ... but it is. It's a little different. But it lures me in.

I would imagine most forum members don't know that PUTW is located in La Veta, Colorado, one of the state's great undiscovered small towns. It's undiscovered cause it's 4 miles off the main road. There's a fantastic open mic at a farm-to-table restaurant called the Cowgirl Cantina. La Vetians are just really nice people and there are a bunch of natural wonders (trippy lava flows) all over the area. Pickup some legal you-know-what and have a great time and play for some real nice folks in a scenic paradise! Oh, and maybe get a pickup consultation while you're there, too -- don't know how friendly the company is, but I'd imagine very.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Wasn't there an issue with the adhesive coming loose over time with these pickups?
Yes, IIRC the double sided tape first used with the PUTW SBT pickups didn't always work well and the end of the pickup where the wire attaches could detach from the bridge plate. The tape used was changed long ago. I had the two pickup strips in my PUTW #54 glued to the bridge plate. Works great.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, IIRC the double sided tape first used with the PUTW SBT pickups didn't always work well and the end of the pickup where the wire attaches could detach from the bridge plate. The tape used was changed long ago. I had the two pickup strips in my PUTW #54 glued to the bridge plate. Works great.
I did not know this - turns out I have had issues with my tape loosening up at the wires as you describe. The symptom I get when this happens is a "ground hum" sound as well as a weakened signal. Have you experienced anything like this? Or has your setup been stable the whole time? I have had my system since they first came out with the "Trio" setup.

When this happens I need to loosen up the strings and stick my hand in and push on the tape in various areas until the hum goes away. This can be a pain. Sometimes when I fix it it's good for a long time, but sometimes the hum comes back soon and I need to do again. Besides being a pain, when I have to do it frequently the loosening and tightening can weaken and break the strings.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
I did not know this - turns out I have had issues with my tape loosening up at the wires as you describe. The symptom I get when this happens is a "ground hum" sound as well as a weakened signal. Have you experienced anything like this? Or has your setup been stable the whole time? I have had my system since they first came out with the "Trio" setup.

When this happens I need to loosen up the strings and stick my hand in and push on the tape in various areas until the hum goes away. This can be a pain. Sometimes when I fix it it's good for a long time, but sometimes the hum comes back soon and I need to do again. Besides being a pain, when I have to do it frequently the loosening and tightening can weaken and break the strings.
Change the tape or glue them in. Either will work.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

is that the dual or trio system?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Oh really? I thought for sure someone posted on here recently about having this issue. If they did change the tape then that was a great move. I would love to try one of these pickups, I just wish they didn't require a preamp to be so close to the output jack.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Oh really? I thought for sure someone posted on here recently about having this issue. If they did change the tape then that was a great move. I would love to try one of these pickups, I just wish they didn't require a preamp to be so close to the output jack.
Yes, really. All passive transducers should have a buffer and first gain stage as close to the pickup as possible - Signal Hygiene 101.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

As the OP here, just wanted to thank everyone for their posts. I played the pickup in church tonight (it's a crappy sounding room) and initial impressions are extremely promising. I'll be monitoring this thread, as I'm too slammed to participate, but want to pose a couple questions to other users of this rig.

Also, does anyone know the name of the new company using this same technology. The founder of PUTW broke off in the last year or so to form a new company, but I can't remember the name of it. I believe they might eventually be able to solve the preamp issue, from what I was able to gather.

Will be back....

thanks, everyone,

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification