The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 PM

The extended bass design by Joel is also different from Michi's too in the sense that he drew inspiration from his banjo playing background, and installed a sliding banjo capo that can either be removed completely, or even be shifted up half a step to create a "Drop D#". Cool stuff!

And of course, I think it goes without saying that Michihiro Matsuda is the epitomy of an innovative luthier

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharius View Post
Wow! That's an impressive collection of guitars RussellHawaii!! It sounds like they have all been thoughtfully picked out too. I am a big fan of mixing the newest innovations with tradition, in fact I think there are many aspects of the traditional guitar that can be greatly improved by these innovations to help with structural issues, ease of playability, comfort and to help get a more efficient working guitar (with more projection and sustain without "having to try as hard" - I suppose responsive is the word to use here...)
Anyway, I really admire those luthiers who have been mentioned and I think a couple others are worth mentioning - Dion James (who just commented on this thread!) and Jeremy Clark. They are both doing some pretty non-traditional things inside their instruments with much success - their instruments are phenomenal!
I've been adapting some of these ideas and incorporating them into my guitars as well because I think they are so great.
I believe we are in the Golden Age of guitars!
-Zach

Thanks for the mention Zach! I loved your guitars in Vancouver, so clean and great sounding. I guess we should probably mention Sergie Dejonge as one if the most innovative builders!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Bews View Post
Thanks for the mention Zach! I loved your guitars in Vancouver, so clean and great sounding. I guess we should probably mention Sergie Dejonge as one if the most innovative builders!

Thanks Dion!
Oh, absolutely! Sergei flies under the radar a lot, but I think he was responsible or partially responsible for many innovations still in use today. He's always trying something new! This might have been one of my favourite parts about apprenticing with him, being involved in the creative process of trying new things outside of the norm (which I think played a huge role in developing my sense of engineering principals in guitars - which is pretty darned important if you ask me!).
Yeah, I'd say he's a pioneer in the field of lutherie!
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 09-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Cool thread, Russell.

I have been to Mighty Fine Guitars and agree that Stevie has a great little shop with some fabulous inventory. I purchased a wonderful Sparky Kramer Prairie Grass model from him.

Both Michi and Joel's guitars have a wonderful aesthetic to them while being lovely guitars to play. I have been fortunate to have played many examples of Tony's fine work here in the Bay Area.

I miss the Healdsburg Guitar Festival since it was virtually in my back yard. Being able to play both the innovative designs as well as the interpretations of traditional designed guitars is something that I truly miss.

Having shops like Stevie's and Schoenberg's and Gryphon's in the area sure makes it fun to take a day for guitar playing and browsing though.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Cool thread, Russell.

I have been to Mighty Fine Guitars and agree that Stevie has a great little shop with some fabulous inventory. I purchased a wonderful Sparky Kramer Prairie Grass model from him.

Both Michi and Joel's guitars have a wonderful aesthetic to them while being lovely guitars to play. I have been fortunate to have played many examples of Tony's fine work here in the Bay Area.

I miss the Healdsburg Guitar Festival since it was virtually in my back yard. Being able to play both the innovative designs as well as the interpretations of traditional designed guitars is something that I truly miss.

Having shops like Stevie's and Schoenberg's and Gryphon's in the area sure makes it fun to take a day for guitar playing and browsing though.

Best,
Jayne
Oh man, I miss the HGF, too. We’re really lucky to have those shops because they’re like permanent mini Healdsburgs. SBAIC was definitely a great show last year.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I miss having Mandolin Brothers near where I live (gone...). You guys are fortunate Bay area to have a number of fine instrument shops and world class luthiers in your immediate area.

Despite the demise of HGF, there are guitar shows out there albeit not in the Bay area.
  • West: La Conner in May ‘019 and SBGC in August ‘019.
  • East: WILS October‘018 and Artisan Guitar Festival in April ‘019.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPaldacci View Post
Yup Marcus, The first one who inlayed Copper in his rosettes, was Joel. Pioneer style!
Don't mean to be contrarian, but here are 3 pictures of a guitar I made in 1974 which has brass inlaid both in the headstock and as twisted wire herringbone in the rosette. I did many such as early as 1971, calling this rosette "ring of fire" in an early attempt at brand identification. Most were done with copper rather than brass. This guitar was made as my companion for a trip to south America to get rosewood. It is still with me, and still playable. The craftsmanship is a far cry from what younger builders are doing today. The abalone inlay, for instance, is cut from shells I found on the beach.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:39 AM

I too have a guitar with a Manzer. The first time I came across the wedge concept was back in the early days of Acoustic Guitar Mag where William Compiano used it to help someone who was having chronic pain issues when playing. I don’t think he ever claimed this was an original concept though.
Martin J40
Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Don't mean to be contrarian, but here are 3 pictures of a guitar I made in 1974 which has brass inlaid both in the headstock and as twisted wire herringbone in the rosette. I did many such as early as 1971, calling this rosette "ring of fire" in an early attempt at brand identification. Most were done with copper rather than brass. This guitar was made as my companion for a trip to south America to get rosewood. It is still with me, and still playable. The craftsmanship is a far cry from what younger builders are doing today. The abalone inlay, for instance, is cut from shells I found on the beach.
My spidey senses always tingle any time someone (builder, player, dealer, etc.) makes a claim about being the "first" to do something or claiming an innovation. Fan-frets are an easy example -- they seem like something new but have been around for 100+ years (with multi-scale instruments 400+).

The waters get murky with the possibility to "innovate" without being the first. Years ago I thought I'd start tilting my saddles back (in the z-axis if the top is x-y) to split the break angle and have the force of the strings travel directly down the height of the saddle instead of applying torque. It's not something I've seen others do or had heard of before, but I can pretty much guarantee that I'm not the first. I guess it's semantics, but I think in most cases it makes sense to call a builder non-traditional rather than innovative.
instagram
Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Mike,
I believe Mike Dooiln, Bruce Petros, John Ostoff and a few others tilt their saddles back a few degrees. We have also done it as well. I’ll agree that it’s pretty hard to come up with something totally new these days.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
... So let me give a shout out to my favorite dealers, Steve Coyle at Mighty Fine Guitars in California (I have never even been in MFG store… a pilgrimage I must make soon! ), and Kilin Reece at KR Strings on Oahu. These guitars were all bought either new or used… none were custom built for me. But I have ordered a few in my idealized specs from my three favorite builders… I’ll let you know how they turn out!

The most innovative design I’ve found is the Yamamoto Talus, by Tsuniya “Tony” Yamamoto in the Bay Area. Three design features combine to make the most ergonomic guitar I know of: A ‘Manzer’ wedge; not one but three bevels ( arm, thigh, and chest areas); and a very playable smooth neck joint that is an inspired work of geometry! Together these create a remarkably comfortable large-bodied guitar that almost disappears physically as you play. The sound is bold and forward, as well. Mine has a cocobolo back and sides and a pawlonia top, with figured koa in the bevels. I will attempt to post a picture from his website. The Talus has an asymmetrical shape that is elegant and functional, a work of art from every angle. I got mine from Mighty Fine Guitars, a dealer associate of Yamamoto. I had mine sent back to Tony for a soundport and pickup install. This guitar is tough also; I don’t hesitate to put it in the trunk of the car and go to a casual jam or performance.

I'm the lucky owner of a "Tony" - mine is an OM-Y but I feel lust every time I see a Talus.

Give us a shout if you ever do make your pilgrimage to the Bay Area to visit MFG. I'm sure we could arrange some sort of get together and guitar fondle.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-21-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hi Mike,
I believe Mike Dooiln, Bruce Petros, John Ostoff and a few others tilt their saddles back a few degrees. We have also done it as well. I’ll agree that it’s pretty hard to come up with something totally new these days.
Add Mark Blanchard to that list as well...
Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Smile We miss the old guitar shops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I miss having Mandolin Brothers near where I live (gone...). You guys are fortunate Bay area to have a number of fine instrument shops and world class luthiers in your immediate area.

Despite the demise of HGF, there are guitar shows out there albeit not in the Bay area.
  • West: La Conner in May ‘019 and SBGC in August ‘019.
  • East: WILS October‘018 and Artisan Guitar Festival in April ‘019.
I miss Buffalo Bros. In N. San Diego County. What an amazing inventory they had... sigh
As for innovative Luthiers, let me put in my usual plug for John Kinnaird. His instruments tend to look fairly traditional but the recent builds for me have a NUMBER of cool innovations:
Oversized 12 fret dreads with a slightly pinched waist. Sound ports, multiple bevels, super multiple laminated and carbon fiber reinforced necks, two with NO truss rod. Asymmetrical neck carves, elevated fretboard extensions, bull nosed edges throughout, Manzer wedges, CF struts to support the neck block for lighter top bracing, suoer hard gold color Jescar frets, fret board edge markers thru to the top, etc. also HH glue where it affects tone, double sides, Adi braces, and ultralight Spanish Cedar linings and laminated end and neck blocks
John was not the first to use any of these, but I haven't seen anyone else put them all together in one instrument.
Most of these were things I asked for, and John was happy to go there. These guitars sound better than anything I have ever had or played. The first one knocked a BUNCH of high end single Luthier and boutique brand instruments out of my line up, one or two at a time...
Funny, I tend to prefer traditional looking instruments! I just want all these innovations because they work better for me.
Here's to the Luthiers!
Go gang!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 09-21-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Mike Baranik is pretty innovative, in my opinion. He's constantly introducing new design elements into his guitars. He's been using an asymmetric body style for quite some time, subtle things like a "drop top" to improve forearm comfort, unique stylings, and his very cool adjustable neck. He's always doing something new and fun on his body and aesthetic design.
Another mention for Mike from me - not only for pushing boundaries but also for being so responsive to customers. His adjustable neck is worth dwelling on for a moment - it loses nothing in tone and sustain, but enables you to get your setup absolutely spot on, and keep it there. There's a reason my Baranik is my most-played guitar - it's because it feels absolutely perfect all the time - and it's never once needed a setup! However, the neck adjustment is usually built into a heel strap button (brilliant solution) ... but I really dislike strap buttons, so Mike designed and built an alternative version for mine with the adjuster beautifully integrated directly into the heel.

He has countless other small touches, some functional and some just nice to know they're there - like the face of the headstock being radiused to match the fingerboard.

Quote:
Michi Matsuda certainly pushes the boundaries of what is possible. Not only does he fuse guitar and sculpture, but his extended low E design was pretty darn cool.
Yes... whether it's brilliance or bonkers, Michi is guaranteed to come up with something utterly stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
The waters get murky with the possibility to "innovate" without being the first. Years ago I thought I'd start tilting my saddles back (in the z-axis if the top is x-y) to split the break angle and have the force of the strings travel directly down the height of the saddle instead of applying torque. It's not something I've seen others do or had heard of before, but I can pretty much guarantee that I'm not the first. I guess it's semantics, but I think in most cases it makes sense to call a builder non-traditional rather than innovative.
It's a great idea - and another thing that Mike Baranik does (I'm not sure for how long, but at least since 2007).

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
luthier innovation