The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Every bucket needs a hug some times. Spent all day downloading five years of pictures from FB, it was fighting me the whole time. Also wanted me to update Firefox from them, I think not. It will be a while before I get them all back online. I'll start with pictures for recent threads and work backwards.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:42 PM

I agree...it looks like Engelmann. I think that is a bit too nice to cut up into bracewood.

Quote:
Spent all day downloading five years of pictures from FB, it was fighting me the whole time. Also wanted me to update Firefox from them, I think not. It will be a while before I get them all back online. I'll start with pictures for recent threads and work backwards.
Same here.
Don't close your PB account.....you can still see the photos by right-clicking and copying the image address. I am keeping my PB account, but I did download all 1100+ photos to find another site to host them.
PB has been a major pain for a while now.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 PM

I'm leaving it all as is, as you said as long as they don't delete the pictures they are there for others to view even though PB screwed up the order on me a number of times. Yeah it is a nice piece of wood, just don't know what else to do with it.

Not like there is a big hurry though, I have more than enough projects on the go or lined up. I think I am getting an old dust collector from my brother, have to wire the power for it and then plumb it up. I have been hacking my way along with my builds and I think it is time I got serious about my tools and tooling. I think I have an idea of what I want now.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 PM

Scraped the guitar nice and flat. Actually started to look not bad.

I then carved the neck but realized I didn't take any pictures of it. The only real exciting part was when I was flipping it over when it was in the vice and my hand did not cooperate with me me and the neck fell to the floor. Just a little nick I could not get out, oh well give it a few years and you won't even notice it. Got the body and neck ready for finish by raising the grain. So much for a nice flat top and back. Sand, dampen, sand, dampen, good enough. Would like to have been able to spray it, winter has me using wipe on poly. Will not be a beauty queen so I can live with it.

Last edited by printer2; 03-04-2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: snapped a pic of the neck
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

This guitar is beautiful, and I will guess it will also make beautiful sounds in the right hands. On a deeper level this guitar represents a reverse snob appeal. I love good woodworking and beautiful woods, but some guitar descriptions today sound much like the pseudo wine experts describing wine...the engleman spruce must have come from a north-facing slope, etc.

So, kudos to you for honoring the lowly 2x4...who knew that such magic was hiding in the lumber pile?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 PM

Wow! Nice craftsmanship. Beautiful instrument,
Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Amazing work! I've followed this thread but the near-final product.... wow! It is going to be hard to tell it came from a 2 x 4.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Thanks. It is coming along nicely. It won't be perfect as it has taken a few dings here and there as the body has been kicking around for about a year and stuff happens. I hope it will sound ok, if it needs some tuning up at least I can get my hand in the sound hole rather than the previous guitar I made. I think today might be the end of the application of the finish and I think I will let it sit for a while and harden before I give it its final sanding. I have the other guitars to finish up and I am sticking my toe in the amp building waters, That reminds me, I have a Telecaster to finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair