The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Stella Resonator

Hi,
I'm looking for a resonator but not really looking for another guitar but I have a 1969 Harmony Stella H943 and thinking of converting to a resonator.
Any thoughts about cutting into a perfectly good guitar?
Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 08:29 PM

I would start with a plywood guitar rather than a solid birch box. Those Stella guitars are steadily going up in price - especially the ones with A-1 setups so they have a good playable action.

I would not hesitate to start with a plywood Asian Craigslist beater for a resonator project.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:13 PM

+1 on the ply top Asian beater; save the Stella. Lots of Asian GSO's being made, no more new Stella's though.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM

The top and back of a resonator are quite thick, far thicker than an acoustic flat top, and braced in a completely different manner. You'd basically be using the neck and sides if you did a conversion. That said, it's been done.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:18 AM

This strikes me as taking a Yukon and cutting off the back half of the roof and removing the rear row of seats because you really want a pickup truck. Better to just find a truck in the first place. At least start with a junk guitar instead of something that is currently playable / useable Stella.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was playing some slide on it yesterday and thought, what was I thinking. The Stella will stay as is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair