The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2023, 03:27 AM

Default Fishman Neo HB + Baggs Para DI vs Baggs M80? (+ on 12 strings?)

I currently have Fishman Neo HB and run it through Baggs Para DI. I often find myself using the EQ to fix what I don't like about the pickup (try to cut out the mud and boost some presence). Would upgrading to Baggs M80 allow me to ditch the DI, as a tone shaper at least?

And bonus question, I've been reading about magnetic pickups not working well with 12 strings. On the other hand, I've compared recording Fishman pickup to Sennheiser MD421 (best mic I own) , and I admit I couldn't say one was absolutely better than the other. However I'm a newb to acoustics, so could very well be plenty of operator errors....... Anyway, would again upgrade from Fishman to Baggs with its body sensing coil be of any upgrade?
Old 01-31-2023, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi andrus, IMO, the Baggs M80 will be a big upgrade. The Baggs as you mentioned has a body sensing coil, as well as adjustable polepieces (this is important), can be active or passive and is again IMO, a better sounding pickup.

As far as ditching your Baggs Para, you can especially since the M80 is active. However, if you are picky (and I am) you're probably still going to need it for tone shaping. I use the M80 and to my ears, it still needs external eq.

Bonus question answer, because of the octave strings on the 12 string, it is sometimes difficult to dial in a balanced sound with magnetic pickups. It doesn't mean it won't work...as you stated, you couldn't hear a difference in your recording.

Hope this helps

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 01-31-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:21 AM

Default M80 first impressions

Alright, pulled the trigger on a used M80...

First impressions are not with sound, but size: I struggled to get it into my 12 string :-( Just tiny amount too big, managed with a little bit of force. Then I thought maybe I can just take off one of the holders, and yeah, no need to force anything, but very complicated finger gymnastics ensued.....

Then I just tested if it works, and well, Neo HB is a real humbucker, quiet all over. But my apartment has communist era wiring, and I was surprised to hear some buzz and noise through M80 depending on where in my room I was standing and how I oriented the pick up. Not as bad as when I initially got Neo single coil (just noise), but definitely audible, so I guess it's not true humbucking.

I recorded a comparison on a 6 string, and here's an interesting bit:
- Neo HB - muddy and lifeless, usually combined recording with a mic to get the highs and some real lows.
- M80 in passive mode - gets lively, but the highs are sharp, very dry; different yes, upgrade hmmmm..... I can see it working in a band setting.
- M80 in active mode - .....ahhh, here are the lively NICE highs and real lows! (with 3 on volume wheel it's similar level to passive).

So, clearly it's made to be used in active mode, with passive being sort of just an emergency mode. Or, active for solo/sparse arrangements, passive for loud bands.

Might do a shootout at some point, found only one guy comparing Fishman Neo and Baggs M1, seems only right if I have the means before I decide whether the Neo gets sent away to a land of used treasures.......
Old 02-03-2023, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrus108 View Post
Alright, pulled the trigger on a used M80...

First impressions are not with sound, but size: I struggled to get it into my 12 string :-( Just tiny amount too big, managed with a little bit of force. Then I thought maybe I can just take off one of the holders, and yeah, no need to force anything, but very complicated finger gymnastics ensued.....

Then I just tested if it works, and well, Neo HB is a real humbucker, quiet all over. But my apartment has communist era wiring, and I was surprised to hear some buzz and noise through M80 depending on where in my room I was standing and how I oriented the pick up. Not as bad as when I initially got Neo single coil (just noise), but definitely audible, so I guess it's not true humbucking.

I recorded a comparison on a 6 string, and here's an interesting bit:
- Neo HB - muddy and lifeless, usually combined recording with a mic to get the highs and some real lows.
- M80 in passive mode - gets lively, but the highs are sharp, very dry; different yes, upgrade hmmmm..... I can see it working in a band setting.
- M80 in active mode - .....ahhh, here are the lively NICE highs and real lows! (with 3 on volume wheel it's similar level to passive).

So, clearly it's made to be used in active mode, with passive being sort of just an emergency mode. Or, active for solo/sparse arrangements, passive for loud bands.

Might do a shootout at some point, found only one guy comparing Fishman Neo and Baggs M1, seems only right if I have the means before I decide whether the Neo gets sent away to a land of used treasures.......
Hi Andrus, a couple of things,
regarding the size, you can slightly file one of the upper clamps (the white plastic) so it will go in a little easier. I did this and it worked great, easy in, easy out.
Using an external eq will make the pickup much better sounding. I know some people prefer the passive mode and use an external preamp for gain and eq. When it's active, you are subject to the Baggs internal preamp tone. But you do have use of the volume control.
Hope it works out for you.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification