The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2023, 07:06 PM

Ok, I'll play.

There's a number of ways to respond to the original post. I don't know much about reverb, and there are many different "sounds" that I really like. Long ago I stopped wishing or hoping that other folks would enjoy the same music as me or certainly not in the same way or at the same moment. That said, I'll focus on one example of a guitar/recording sound that I like, and why.

Lately I've been enjoying the sound of Slaid Cleaves' old beat up Gibson.
https://youtu.be/kbn4NJyifkA

My abilities are modest and I've struggled over the years to stick with my playing. I tend to do the same stuff again and again when I pick it up. I struggle to play songs all the way thru, and I play too much all by myself. What gives me a little hope is that I've noticed I appreciate fairly simple music just as much as very fancy/difficult playing. I mean I still enjoy complex stuff by really good players too, but thankfully it isn't all I like nor the most important thing. Singing and vocal harmonies are a big part of what I like to hear... and thankfully, I'm not a bad singer, which again offers hope for my own playing! If I can sing something, the singing adds to it and helps compensate for my modest playing. Singing can still be hard; I need to find a key suited to my voice (capo is my friend!) but singing and then keeping a steady relaxed rhythm (so important!), well it gets me over a "threshold" where I begin to get more satisfaction. Anyway Slaid Cleaves is an inspiration in that regard. His playing is not fancy but he writes good songs and sings so well and has such nice steady right hand technique, I really enjoy some of his stuff. ...AND I can imitate what he does, never as good as he is but maybe eventually well enough to enjoy it a lot.

The Youtube example above is the first song my Slaid I learned to do from start to finish, and it was fun because it was the first time I used a partial 5 string capo like that. Also I like the way the recording captures the sound of that great old beat up Gibson he always plays (belonged to his father so he tells).

Dave

Last edited by parulid; 01-30-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I like the guitar tones on Daylight by Watchhouse (formerly Mandolin Orange).

https://youtu.be/bRmzMIH3Gj0

Also a big fan of the acoustic tone in Stone Walls by Three Tall Pines.

https://youtu.be/inyuiEgdEgA
Old 01-31-2023, 12:11 AM

Yes I like Mandolin Orange/Watchhouse too. They are like an "old comfortable pair of shoes"...

Dave
Old 01-31-2023, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Just some personal observations ::

With the exception of an anechoic chamber ,, anything played or recorded inside, is going to have some amount of at least room reverb , for better or worse.

The only place where is "no reverb" is outside in the middle of pretty big flat grass field
Kev, you’ve got me thinking now. How big a field is big enough? Serious question. I might like to try this.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 01-31-2023, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Kev, you’ve got me thinking now. How big a field is big enough? Serious question. I might like to try this.
I don't have or know an exact measurement just have to try it. But someplace where the sound is not going to be bouncing off a nearby wall or building I assume . You will probably be able to tell because compared to playing indoors, it will likely sound relatively dry and one dimensional

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-31-2023, 08:51 AM

Wind is the big bugaboo when it comes to using the Great Outdoors as a recording studio. There was a guy named Eltjo Hasselhoff used to post here (or maybe I saw it some other online place) who did a fingerstyle guitar album entirely recorded in a big field quite a ways from his house. But he had to be extremely patient to catch a few minutes here and there with absolutely not a breath of wind stirring.

I have the album and it's pretty gorgeous stuff. Not sure that's as much from recording in the field as it is his playing but it sure worked out nicely, all in all.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-31-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parulid View Post
If I can sing something, the singing adds to it and helps compensate for my modest playing. Singing can still be hard; I need to find a key suited to my voice (capo is my friend!) but singing and then keeping a steady relaxed rhythm (so important!), well it gets me over a "threshold" where I begin to get more satisfaction.
Amen to that! I'm in the same boat...my guitar skills are modest and my singing voice is passable at best, but when you put the two together it results in some decent music. ;-)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Wind is the big bugaboo when it comes to using the Great Outdoors as a recording studio. There was a guy named Eltjo Hasselhoff used to post here (or maybe I saw it some other online place) who did a fingerstyle guitar album entirely recorded in a big field quite a ways from his house. But he had to be extremely patient to catch a few minutes here and there with absolutely not a breath of wind stirring.

I have the album and it's pretty gorgeous stuff. Not sure that's as much from recording in the field as it is his playing but it sure worked out nicely, all in all.
My SDCs have removable wind caps, so maybe that will help. I don’t know when I’ll have the time to try this, but it’s on my list!
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion