The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 07:34 AM

Default another laminate question.

it there a laminate back and side guitar that sounds almost as good as solid wood. asking for opinions as to leave out on a stand in an office. thanks.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw61 View Post
it there a laminate back and side guitar that sounds almost as good as solid wood. asking for opinions as to leave out on a stand in an office. thanks.
There are plenty that sound better than solid wood. Yamaha leaps to mind as a company making great sounding laminate guitars.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:09 AM

If you want a testimony, check out this thread!
Old 01-29-2023, 08:27 AM

Wouldn't keeping a laminate back-and-sides/"solid" top guitar in a low humidity environment be just as risky as keeping a fully "solid" guitar in that same environment?
Old 01-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had two all mahogany Alvarez parlor guitars - one solid wood, one laminated back and sides. I used to keep the laminated one at my office but decided eventually to downsize and only keep one. It was a tough decision as they both sounded great. The all solid one was just a tad more responsive.
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-29-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Some Guild models have laminate arched backs. The backs have no braces! They sound great.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-29-2023, 10:08 AM

Yamaha if you are good with the thinner neck, an Alvarez Artist series, or a Taylor Academy for a bit more money. All are very durable and sound very good. I happened to be at GC yesterday a Yamaha FS800 was a standout for $199 and it was the sandburst finish that looks very nice. Can't beat that! If it's staying at the office you don't even need a case.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Wouldn't keeping a laminate back-and-sides/"solid" top guitar in a low humidity environment be just as risky as keeping a fully "solid" guitar in that same environment?
Yes, a solid top is still subject to expanding or contracting with humidity changes, doesn't matter if its glued to laminate or solid sides.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:54 PM
Guest 61722

I am now the poster child for Sigma guitars, particularly the older ones with the faux Martin head stock logo. I just got one used at GC and for $250 it's a LOT of guitar for the money. I've played the Yamaha FG8xx and the Sigma is worlds better for the same money. The Sigma sounds great, looks great and playing it is totally worry free. It is heavy, though, so it might not make a great travel or commuting guitar. YMMV.

Not sure where you are located, but there is a guy in the SF Bay Area who must be like a collector of wayward beginner guitars. He always advertises a selection of them on Craigslist for $150 each. He usually has a bunch of Yamahas and Sigmas and other brands. No idea where he is getting them, but they look like a pretty good deal.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg...570188488.html

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2023, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you mean laminate as in laminated wood plies (aka "plywood") or the faux wood countertop stuff? I played one of those Martin versions (a D model) of the latter, solid top, and it was a very nice sounding and playing guitar. The neck was wood laminate, probably a dozen plies. I would expect it would be extremely stable. A friend has one of the 000-cutaway models and it has lived in his basement and been used outdoors for many many years.

Plywood guitars are about as good, though you will get a bit more movement with them, and they are also finished, where the "counter-top" material will not be finished, and is really impervious to all but submersion (and sharp blows!). I've seen finish cracks in plywood guitars, even some extending into the top wood layers, but, admittedly, those were in older guitars, likely subjected to neglect if not abuse. And, those cracks were only superficial, though they looked bad.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:14 PM

There are different ways to construct laminated guitars.

Some makers choose to use very thin verniers of tonewoods like Rosewood or Mahogany and use a thicker "Filler" whitewood for the center.
This dampens the tone of a guitar.

Builders like Alvarez use thicker laminations of their tonewoods and use Mahogany for the center piece.
This gives the guitar a closer tone to an all solid wood guitar.

Other laminated sides and back guitars that have great tone are Eastman, Blueridge and Yamaha.
Not sure of their construction though.
Here is a good video from Alvarez, that explains their process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQxwclZf_o&t=28s

Last edited by L20A; 01-29-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Many of the Godin guitars are laminate. They play and sound great, and are very durable re: humidity changes etc.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I have seen Yairi mentioned as an especially fine maker of lam guitars. There was a recent discussion here of the two different makers named Yairi.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:29 AM

Several affordable options.....the all HPL Martin Special X 000 is a good choice. Mine is solid amd doesn't seem to care about the environment.

Rarely, if ever, will you go wrong choosing a Yamaha as well. My imported Guild OM240ce would be another consideration....IMHO.

Lots of choices! Enjoy your quest!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 01-30-2023, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
There are plenty that sound better than solid wood. Yamaha leaps to mind as a company making great sounding laminate guitars.

100%! Also Yairi makes great laminates (although I wouldn't call them 'laminate' in the traditional sense - Yairi makes the best layered B&S in the world). Another would be Alvarez Artist series - Using techniques from Yairi in Japan, twith solid tops and great layered B&S - warm, lush, loud. As far as an office setting I see no issue as long as your office is at a reasonable temp and humidity level. The layered / laminated guitars are pretty indestructible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion