The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-17-2023, 02:11 PM

Default any suggestions for the best string type for Epiphone 335

Just bought my first electric guitar and wondered if anyone had suggestion on the best string type for it? Played it for just a few times and a string broke while playing, kind of weird. Guitar was new from GC.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:28 PM

it's not weird at all

it's just a string!

I like D'Addario XL110s

Which might even be what was on there when you bought it

look at the back stop piece, if you see colored ends where the strings sit in the stop bar, those are D'Addario XLs.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-17-2023, 02:35 PM

I have gone over to D’Addario XTs on my 335 Studio. Great tone though a little more string squeak than with eg Ernie Ball Cobalt which I seem to remember were on there before. Really enjoying the tone and feel of the XTs.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-17-2023, 03:49 PM

I play GHS Boomers 10s with wound 3rd string on all my electrics including my 335.

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products/...964662-boomers
Old 01-17-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
Just bought my first electric guitar and wondered if anyone had suggestion on the best string type for it?...
What style(s) are you playing...?
Old 01-17-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
What style(s) are you playing...?
Coming from an acoustic background, rhythm with some note picking. Taking on line blues lesson now.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
Coming from an acoustic background, rhythm with some note picking. Taking online blues lesson now.
Try a set of D'Addario ECG23 flatwound 10's: smooth feel on the wound strings, lets you drop your action far lower than with roundwounds (a trick all the '50s blues/jazz/rockabilly players knew), adds some punch to your rhythm, light enough for blues (Gary Clark uses this set) - and I'll echo arwhite on the wound G (standard with this set) in that I find the overall sound more cohesive than with the sometimes wonky-sounding plain G, as well as easier to tune...
Old 01-17-2023, 10:29 PM

Pretty much <your brand here> pure nickel 10's.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

In November, I also got an Epi es335 for my first electric guitar. I put D'adario XL 110's on it.

My set-up was almost right on the money. The most important thing I did was to set the pickup poles all at 1/8 inch off of the strings. I'm not sure if that is correct for both pickups but it's working great for me.

Congratulations on you new electric guitar. It's a lot of fun!
Old 01-18-2023, 09:29 AM

I've been using Gibson Vintage Reissue Lt. strings on my Epi ES339. I'm an acoustic guitar guy primarily but I'm called upon occasionally to play electric when the regular electric player in the band is gone. So far, I've liked these strings but really don't have much of a frame of reference. They play nicely, though, & sound great with humbuckers through tubes.

Frank
Old 01-18-2023, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I have become a big fan of Elixir strings on my electric guitar... had one of the first Taylor T-5 guitars, and it came with Elixir electric strings, 11's with a plain third string. I liked them so much that I gave them a try on my Gibson ES345... they've been on that guitar, ever since!

They last an incredibly long time, especially due to the fact the electric guitar is NOT my main choice to play... so it's really nice to pick up the electric and have the strings feel and sound really good, no matter how much time has passed!

I believe the current set on that Gibson is well over 4 years old, and they still sound great, feel great... gotta love it!

As a side note, I went for 11's because, as I mentioned, the acoustic guitar is my main guitar. I use 12's on my acoustic and wanted the electric to "feel" a bit more like my norm. The Gibson is short scale (24 1/2"?), so 11's feel slightly lighter than they would on a Fender Tele, and I can still bend that unwound third string easily enough...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-19-2023, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I have been somewhat of a string fanatic. I loved S.I.T. for many years (still do) but, as of late, I’ve been using Daddario XT’s. They have great life, sound well balanced tonally, and feel great.

I also like NYXL’s, but prefer XT’s.

In my experience regular Daddario strings go dead VERY fast. S.I.T’s are cheap and maintain their life much longer.

Plus, in some sets (.10’s) you get an extra e/b and with .011’s you get both a wound and unwound G. That’s a big deal to a hollow body player. At least it is to me.

Strings are relatively cheap. Try as many recommendations as you can until you find what fits you best. Enjoy the process!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 01-19-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:35 PM

I like pure nickel strings on my semi-hollows. DR Pure Blues, GHS Big Core Nickel Rockers, or SIT Power Groove all work for me. Try them in the gauge of your choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars