The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-09-2023, 11:00 PM

Default Good budget figure 8 mic for acoustic guitar?

I'm looking for a decent budget figure 8 mic for acoustic guitar. If it's multipattern, even better. But I'd like figure 8 for rejection when singing while playing.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Warm Audio WA-47jr is multi-pattern, including fig 8.
Ive become a fan of WA products lately.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 AM

Audio Technica's AT2050 does have Fig 8 (plus cardiod and omni) and it can be had somewhat cheap on the used market.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Depending on what you mean by "decent" budget

The are a number of choices

The AKG P420 @ $249 --as mentioned the Warm 47jr @$299 --the Aston Spirt @ $349-- the Warm WA-14 and the sE2300 @$399 and the Shure Beta 181 SDC @ $520

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-10-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Audio Technica's AT2050 does have Fig 8 (plus cardiod and omni) and it can be had somewhat cheap on the used market.
+1

The 2050 is a very useful mic. I picked up mine used on CL for $75 and use it all the time set on bipolar/Fig8 for M/S acoustic guitar recording (with an AKG P101 down the middle - another great bargain mic, IMO).
Old 01-10-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
+1

The 2050 is a very useful mic. I picked up mine used on CL for $75 and use it all the time set on bipolar/Fig8 for M/S acoustic guitar recording (with an AKG P101 down the middle - another great bargain mic, IMO).
What's an AKG P101?
Old 01-11-2023, 03:44 PM
Eric Skye

A random left field recommendation might be the sE Electronics Voodoo VR2 active ribbon. I believe I've read several places that the null of a ribbon figure eight is even deeper than a condenser so that might a good thing for you. I don't have direct experience with this model myself, but I have used other ribbons on acoustic. But this very budget friendly mic comes highly recommended from a few great engineers I know. I even noticed one set up for the orchestral session at Abbey Road in the video linked in the "Ambience vs good acoustics" thread elsewhere on this forum.. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...bon-microphone
Old 01-11-2023, 06:36 PM

I just bought a second Warm Audio U-47jr because i liked the first one so much and i want to record in stereo. It'll be here Friday or Saturday.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-12-2023, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
A random left field recommendation might be the sE Electronics Voodoo VR2 active ribbon. I believe I've read several places that the null of a ribbon figure eight is even deeper than a condenser so that might a good thing for you. I don't have direct experience with this model myself, but I have used other ribbons on acoustic. But this very budget friendly mic comes highly recommended from a few great engineers I know. I even noticed one set up for the orchestral session at Abbey Road in the video linked in the "Ambience vs good acoustics" thread elsewhere on this forum.. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...bon-microphone
I have one - good value for what it offers but I would go with some of the suggestions for multi-pattern already made, but I guess it depends on what ‘budget’… VR2 is about $500.

Self noise is noticeable but not too intrusive. I use mine for MS.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 01-12-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Man View Post
I just bought a second Warm Audio U-47jr because i liked the first one so much and i want to record in stereo. It'll be here Friday or Saturday.
Demo recordings of new guitars are being done by Alamo Music with a WA-47 jr. It does a great job when they demo guitars.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Demo recordings of new guitars are being done by Alamo Music with a WA-47 jr. It does a great job when they demo guitars.

Thanks guys, I'll check those out. The AT 2050 looks interesting to me off the bat. I did hear that the rejection for multipattern mics isn't quite as good as for simple figure 8s. I also don't have a ribbon mic, so I think I'd like to get one, just as a first step to getting to know them. I'm gonna checkout the warm u-47Jr also. Thanks for posting a link to some audio examples.

Has anybody tried the Stagg SRM70? So far looking on YouTube from the ones I've seen, that one has piqued my interest, as well as maybe the nady RSM-5. The RSM-4 seems popular also, but I haven't heard many guitar examples, and some of these mics are hard to come by these days.

Are ALL guitar tests from alamo music recorded with that mic? I could go and listen to Models similar to mine, if so.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:22 PM

Not often mentioned but well reviewed is the CAD M179 Multi-Pattern at $179.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk of Funk View Post
I'm looking for a decent budget figure 8 mic for acoustic guitar. If it's multipattern, even better. But I'd like figure 8 for rejection when singing while playing.
Roswell Pro Audio did a livestream last night at a LA studio showing how to use two figure 8 mics on a acoustic player/singer. The demo features the Roswell Delphos ($900) which doesn’t qualify as budget in my world but the technique may be of interest.
I own a Roswell Mini K47 but it’s cardioid only. I think I’ll try this with a WA-47 jr and a CAD M179.

Mic setup discussion around the 9:45 mark.

95 Ovation Custom Legend

Last edited by slowhand; 01-14-2023 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Fixed video time mark typo, thanks KevWind!
Old 01-14-2023, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand View Post
Roswell Pro Audio did a livestream last night at a LA studio showing how to use two figure 8 mics on a acoustic player/singer. The demo features the Roswell Delphos ($900) which doesn’t qualify as budget in my world but the technique may be of interest.
I own a Roswell Mini K47 but it’s cardioid only. I think I’ll try this with a WA-47 jr and a CAD M179.

Mic setup discussion around the 8:45 mark.

Interesting actually the setup is more like 9:45
The only thing to me,, having used a similar set up with figure 8 ribbon mics I had my mics further apart for even more physical separation.

While think figure 8 mics can give some of the best separation (because of the null side) I do question one thing in that video (not all that important but still might be noted )
He states the "only bleed" is from the back side I do not think that is true.
I think even if you baffle behind the mics you are still going to get some bleed
because sound propagates spherically, not just horizontally ... But then agin to my mind some bleed is not automatically "a bad thing"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-14-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
Not often mentioned but well reviewed is the CAD M179 Multi-Pattern at $179.
I actually ordered this one already, but I'm looking for a second one. I like the multi pattern aspect, and the quiet factor. I'm excited to see how it sounds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD