The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2023, 08:07 PM

Default King Bee 2

What's the prevailing opinion ? I bought it for about $130 and am fairly impressed for voice, at least compared to my mxl990, which is getting resigned to boom for guitar. It's so much more sensitive I'm forced to edit out my breaths between lyrics. the only criticism is the included pop filter doesn't do the job, but other than that , for us cheapos, it seems to be a real bargain.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 01-09-2023, 03:56 AM

I looked at those but never got one . I bought a Lewitt 440 , which is my newest mic . I also have a Blue spark , MXL V65 and Monoprice mics 2 large lollipop mics which I use a lot . Their SR ribbon mic and 2 Memphis Blue mics .
I’m king of cheap oh also a old Russian mic it’s dark so not much use yet . Lol

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 01-09-2023, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
What's the prevailing opinion ? I bought it for about $130 and am fairly impressed for voice, at least compared to my mxl990, which is getting resigned to boom for guitar. It's so much more sensitive I'm forced to edit out my breaths between lyrics. the only criticism is the included pop filter doesn't do the job, but other than that , for us cheapos, it seems to be a real bargain.
Do you want an honest opinion ?

My honest opinion is IF you truly want to improve your recordings ( and considering in the other thread you were complaining about the guitar loosing presence in the mix)
I think perhaps you may need to think about a re adjust of your overall perspective

The very first thing I would consider, (and something perhaps overlooked , or I don't remember if someone mentioned it) in that other thread is room treatment ... FIRST and...
Then consider the rest of the mixing suggestions

But I think perhaps consider re=examining your purchasing perspective also may be more productive in the long run . For Example -- You say "for us cheapos". And yet you have what? an aggregate of between $10,000 and $15,000 dollars worth instruments at todays replacement prices in your signature ? ... Now I realize that your collection may have taken years to accumulate and represent modest price individual investments BUT the reality is with number of instruments listed the total is a significant investment dollar wise .

You may want to consider that investment and perhaps change your perspective and strategy to more of a smaller number of higher priced (better quality recording pieces) .........

That said the BEE mics seem to well regarded as good products IN THIER RESPECTIVE PRICE CATEGORY ..... just a thought ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-09-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Do you want an honest opinion ?

My honest opinion is IF you truly want to improve your recordings ( and considering in the other thread you were complaining about the guitar loosing presence in the mix)
I think perhaps you may need to think about a re adjust of your overall perspective

The very first thing I would consider, (and something perhaps overlooked , or I don't remember if someone mentioned it) in that other thread is room treatment ... FIRST and...
Then consider the rest of the mixing suggestions

But I think perhaps consider re=examining your purchasing perspective also may be more productive in the long run . For Example -- You say "for us cheapos". And yet you have what? an aggregate of between $10,000 and $15,000 dollars worth instruments at todays replacement prices in your signature ? ... Now I realize that your collection may have taken years to accumulate and represent modest price individual investments BUT the reality is with number of instruments listed the total is a significant investment dollar wise .

You may want to consider that investment and perhaps change your perspective and strategy to more of a smaller number of higher priced (better quality recording pieces) .........

That said the BEE mics seem to well regarded as good products IN THIER RESPECTIVE PRICE CATEGORY ..... just a thought ?
Kev....thanks. I'll try to address your concerns. Room treatment...I use a pretty large room. About 12 x 8...meters, 4 meter ceilings. Check that thread on Abbey Studio 'ambiance'. Interesting perspectives. The real problem with my studio is I live in a noisy town and the studio is on the 3rd floor, my former painting studio which got moved to another structure. It's open to all sides, so my treatments so far have only addressed temporary isolation solutions from outside noise. Also my house, which is over 200 years old, has meter thick stone walls, and the studio has about 25 wooden beams on the ceiling. Seems to work for those lows ok. I could use smaller rooms but my studio is a spiritual space and it's perfect for me. Second...I removed myself from the easy material life about 35 years ago. Yeap...most of those came from my past life. Not all....I've made about 3 grand worth of purchases in the last few years...dig pianos, computers, some cheap guitars etcetc. About my wifes limit. Where I live....Amazon is about the only materialist alternative, and it's about 30% over US prices. I don't go to the states, and these days even less. And reselling here is a pain. I'll leave that to my wife when I'm no longer around. And new guitars, even mex martins are about 50% over US prices. Also....really I played some local Martins and I'm pretty happy with my Takamine. In the US...and I did this in my very younger days, swapping out guitars becomes a pass time in itself. I probably owned 30 guitars before I was 20. Wish I still had that Rickenbacker, or that archtop gibson though. I've almost decided I'm gonna put up one song.... out of maybe 60 I'm working on....maybe this week, precopyright, as it's an anniversary of a dear friends passing, and that's the songs subject. If and when, I'll link it here and hopefully get some constructive criticisms. thanks
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 01-09-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
I looked at those but never got one . I bought a Lewitt 440 , which is my newest mic . I also have a Blue spark , MXL V65 and Monoprice mics 2 large lollipop mics which I use a lot . Their SR ribbon mic and 2 Memphis Blue mics .
I’m king of cheap oh also a old Russian mic it’s dark so not much use yet . Lol
Ray...thanks...nice playin' bro
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 01-22-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Ray...thanks...nice playin' bro

Playing ? Did I post a tune ? lol why I’m I so old ! Lol [emoji23]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 01-22-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Playing ? Did I post a tune ? lol why I’m I so old ! Lol [emoji23]
it's in your signature bro
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 01-24-2023, 02:41 PM

it's a decent mic, but it doesn't punch above it's weight the way the original did.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:35 AM

the reviews I've seen say the mkii is better....and I paid $120US, and I think it punches well above that. Next step up might be a warm wa47 jr...but for the fact the king bee is built like a tank. A little story...I moved my studio around and my kingbee was on a metalbased weighted stand. But because the kingbee is so heavy even there it is was slightly out of balance. Plus to limit low vib noise I had it sitting on a 6inch piece of foam. Well...in moving it fell...hit the tile floor like a champ. It was in it's shockmount. I was slightly nervous...reassembled my compu and interface to test it. Showed absolutely zero physical evidence of the fall...and worked perfectly. Bet the warm jr can't do that !
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 01-25-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
the reviews I've seen say the mkii is better
i'm curious to read/watch those reviews. i've seen zero that say it's better. podcastage, for example, loved the first but only liked the second.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:27 AM

I use the V1 Worker Bee (Yellow-Black stripped) for all my recordings unless it says it in the title..
I like it a lot but then I'm not even close to being a pro
But this guy reviews for a living and he likes the Neat mic's
He has reviewed all versions

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD