The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2023, 10:41 PM

For those of you that use nails, what nail shape do you use? And what is your experience with other shapes?

Glen, looks like your nails are straight across - no curve. I know that classical guitar players spend a lot of time on nail shaping: flat, curved with ramps, long ramps, short ramps, the first point of contact with the string, the point of string release, etc... and it seems like there is no unanimous agreement.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 01-08-2023, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
For those of you that use nails, what nail shape do you use? And what is your experience with other shapes?
Back when I played into a mic I used thumb and fingerpicks, mainly ragtime and blues.

Yes, ramped here. For a long while now I use short nails that are hardly visible from the palm side. Length is important for me but shape is critical. I ramp my nails on the thumb side, very exaggerated on the index, less so on the middle and much less on the ring finger. I can do this easily now but it took a lot of experimenting at first, and they need maintaining every day or two - it makes that much difference to tone.

For me doing this gives fatter notes and stops the nail hooking the string and at the beginning of the note no sound of nail or pick on string. I can alter attack as the OP describes, and having nail in contact at start of note means I don’t suffer rapid degradation of my nails.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 01-08-2023 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 01-08-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post

Yes, ramped here.
Your tone does sound very nice - I see what you mean. Nice playing on your web site.

So your index finger has the longest nail, then middle is a little shorter, and your ring finger even shorter. Is that correct? Does your ramp end at roughly 2/3 the nail width on each finger, then it ramps down to the right side of the finger?

BTW - I buy these (below) to shape my nails. It has 6 different grits and you can get your nails glass-like smooth. It really makes a big difference. I also use them to shape picks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 01-09-2023, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
……So your index finger has the longest nail, then middle is a little shorter, and your ring finger even shorter. Is that correct? Does your ramp end at roughly 2/3 the nail width on each finger, then it ramps down to the right side of the finger?
Maybe slight difference in length but more the shape itself - ring finger only slightly ramped, almost following finger tip profile.

Yes, about 2/3 across then just rounded off to the right.

I use a glass file and finish with what you use or similar. Yes, a glass-like finish to edge and underside of edge important for tone and durability.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 01-20-2023, 04:33 AM

I think the sound of fairly long, natural nails is the best. But some folks have trouble growing and keeping them. I hate the sound of metal fingerpicks because I play a melodic style. If I played folk or blues then they might even support the playing. Plastic picks, thumb or finger, is ok once the player learns how to use them.
I have tried all kinds of things to keep nails but I accidentally discovered that vigorous brushing with a natural hair nail-brush keeps then very hard. I do have hard nails to start with but the wound strings eat them away. The brushing somehow keeps them playable.
Drug store nails glued on with glue dots have a good sound and are easy. You have to find the right glue dots though, some hold too much and others not enough and then theres the one that is just right. Makes one think of the Goldilocks story

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write