The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2024, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Well I did it…EV 30m

I finally decided the regardless of how much I love the sound and coverage of my Bose L1 Pro8 it wasn’t as durable and dependable as the trusty L1 Compact that I used for years. And I’m really tired of hooking up a mixer to bypass the “no master volume” issue. So yesterday I made a swap with my local Guitar Center for a EV 30m. Really appreciate everyone who shared information with me while I was making my decision. Now to get it set up and dialed in before this week’s gigs start on Thursday. Any helpful tips or info would be appreciated.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-11-2024, 08:59 AM

I think it was a good choice. The 30M sounds as good as the Bose with a mixer, but is far more solidly constructed, and your setup, tear down, and transport will be way easier!
Old 03-11-2024, 09:53 AM

Following this...I just got rid of my Yamaha Stagepas 1K and am considering the ev30M or RCF Jmix8.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I think it was a good choice. The 30M sounds as good as the Bose with a mixer, but is far more solidly constructed, and your setup, tear down, and transport will be way easier!
I set it up this morning and got channel 1 & 2 set up for my mic and guitar. Honestly, I've been using Bose products for so long it's going to take me a bit to get used to the sound of the EV, but I really like the onboard mixer and effects.

I have to call myself out for being a dufus though, I kept wondering why I couldn't get the guitar to mute and why nothing I did made any difference to the guitar tone or volume. I was getting really frustrated then I realized that I was mixing input 1 for vocal and input 2 for guitar, when I actually I had my guitar plugged into 1 and my mic into 2. After I swapped the inputs I had much better results.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-11-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I love my 30m and have gigged with it often now. My single biggest piece of advice is to invest a little time familiarizing yourself with the app. Like many such things it makes sense once you understand how it's organized, but the documentation isn't great. I know you will feel free to reach out here (and certainly to me messaging-wise) if you run into a roadblock. There's tons of comments here about it but it's a lot to try finding via search.

Take advantage of Demo mode in the EV Quicksmart app, it's a great way to start without having to light up the 30m every time you want to check where various settings are.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:05 AM

My biggest question now: what's the vocal mic feedback rejection like? My wife uses a Sennheiser e945 and I like to use a condenser mic like a Neumann KMS105, both of which try to feed back more than some other mics.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My biggest question now: what's the vocal mic feedback rejection like? My wife uses a Sennheiser e945 and I like to use a condenser mic like a Neumann KMS105, both of which try to feed back more than some other mics.
My wife and I both use the Sennheiser e945 with our EV30M and have had zero feedback issues. We typically set the EV30M off to our left, either even with us or back behind us a bit (preferred position) if there is enough room.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
My wife and I both use the Sennheiser e945 with our EV30M and have had zero feedback issues. We typically set the EV30M off to our left, either even with us or back behind us a bit (preferred position) if there is enough room.
Thank you! Great information. And I saw your video from a couple years ago too. Thanks for that as well. I played with the app. I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a 30m soon.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Same except I use an e935. Lately I've had it pretty much parallel to the mic--that is, not behind me much--but that's mainly a function of the tight spaces I've been playing. I don't play screaming-loud volumes fwiw, and have never used a condenser live.

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-17-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Played my first loud bar gig with my 30m last night and was vey impressed. It was a long room and I was stuck in a corner at the front. I had never been there so I brought my Loudbox Artist and my 30m. I figured if it was a quiet room I would use the Loudbox snd if it was a loud room I’d go with the 30m. I asked the owner how loud I was going to be and she said “oh you need to be loud, this place gets crowded after 10:00”. It did get crowded and it was loud in there but with my 30m at about 3/4 volume I covered the room very nicely. I was standing on top of it with it to the side and slightly back and had no feedback issues at all. I’m very impressed. Now I will be honest and admit that I think the Bose L1 Pro8 sounded a bit better especially with vocals but I was able to dial in guitar and vocal tones I was very happy with. And the EV app is head and shoulders superior to the Bose app. I wish I could get the vocals to sound as smooth as I could with the Bose but I’m sure I’ll be able to adapt as I get more accustomed to the system. Now I think the next step is ditching the S1 Pro for an Everse 8. As much as I love my EAE Gigmix mixers, I’m tired of the extra setup to use them. It’s nice to be able to plug straight in and go.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-17-2024, 12:33 PM

I sometimes use a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic with my 30m.

But I think you can get great vocals with out it..
Takes a little while to learn the system and all the App features.

Glad your gig went well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Now I will be honest and admit that I think the Bose L1 Pro8 sounded a bit better especially with vocals but I was able to dial in guitar and vocal tones I was very happy with. And the EV app is head and shoulders superior to the Bose app. I wish I could get the vocals to sound as smooth as I could with the Bose but I’m sure I’ll be able to adapt as I get more accustomed to the system. Now I think the next step is ditching the S1 Pro for an Everse 8. As much as I love my EAE Gigmix mixers, I’m tired of the extra setup to use them. It’s nice to be able to plug straight in and go.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Great report, Goat Mick, and I'm glad you were overall happy with it. I probably have a slight preference for the sound I got out of my Bose L1M2, but not enough to switch back to that or the new Pro line.

I posted this elsewhere but perhaps as a tip: In a last-minute booking yesterday, I almost didn't have sound by show time because I hadn't noticed my 30m decided to reduce the Speaker volume to Zero some after I shut down last time. There's a nice Mute indicator that goes red when you select it, but the volume can go all the way to nothing without lighting it up. Figured this out with seven minutes to go.

First image is a standard setting for sound. Second one shows Speaker muted. Third one shows panic time for Chris, volume turned to 0 but Mute not indicated. (This is via demo mode). You get a hint of the issue with the white line/no white line, but you really have to pay attention to that or remember it exists when you're looking at a Mute button that doesn't say Mute yet you're hearing no sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240318_000820.jpg (18.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240318_000832.jpg (18.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240318_000847.jpg (18.1 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-17-2024 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:22 AM

I see more and more EV30M's around now for gigging solo acts in my area. It seems to have become the gold standard. The 30M can easily cover 90% of the situations solo acts will encounter.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I see more and more EV30M's around now for gigging solo acts in my area. It seems to have become the gold standard. The 30M can easily cover 90% of the situations solo acts will encounter.
After Saturday night I'm definitely convinced I made the right decision getting my 30m.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-18-2024, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Is there a manual mute on the back of the 30m/50m? It seems that if you say use it on a Friday night with the app and mute things at the end of the night, that when you turn on the mixer on Saturday (without engaging the app), that it remains muted from the previous use, and that you have to load the app to unmute. A manual mute would be nice as I rarely use the app when playing solo, rather I just change the volume on the back control depending on the venue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification