The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2022, 05:49 AM

Default LR Baggs Voiceprint DI

Got a Voiceprint DI from Sweetwater to try with my Martin OM-28 with a K&K pickup installed.

Hooked it up and made a quick basic voiceprint to test it out. Not even sure if I did it right or not, but here are 3 samples...

Rode NT4 mic...

K&K pickup...

Voiceprint...

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2022, 06:24 AM

Definitely improves the high end and brings it closer to the mic sound but I still hear some piezo qualities in there. What did you have the blend and EQ set to? I’m going to make a video of the settings that I have been using soon. I have the same guitar and pickup as you.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Definitely improves the high end and brings it closer to the mic sound but I still hear some piezo qualities in there. What did you have the blend and EQ set to? I’m going to make a video of the settings that I have been using soon. I have the same guitar and pickup as you.
Thanks.

I really did not have a clue what I was doing. I followed the steps, and just started moving sliders around until it sounded good to me through the headphones... lol. I think I had the blend to like 80% though.

I will read and watch the tutorials today, create a better one, and post it along with the settings.

Please post yours as well.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:54 AM

Maybe some perfection to be chased, but it sounds like a very respectable step up from the raw pickup. Certainly as close to perfection you would need in a performance situation where the audience noise would make further optimization moot.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-19-2022, 10:14 AM

The VP sounds absolutely decent and live-worthy from where I'm sitting. Agreed that the general din of an audience/venue obviates any need for "perfecting" this, but since you asked, I'd play around with the 3-4k a bit --itty bity bits-- to get a touch more definition and "outline" around the notes. Splitting hairs here as I think you've off to a solid tonal foundation.

Edward
Old 11-19-2022, 10:27 AM
Guest 2223

These K&K and VPDI demos lately have sounded great. Yours sounds great too bob. Really making me think of going K&K + VPDI for myself.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:51 AM

I have a FocusRite Scarlet 18i8 which has 4 main inputs, so I was able to plug my Rode NT4 mic into 2 of the channels and my Voiceprint into another channel. That way I can record the mic'd sound and the voiceprint sound on separate tracks in the same recording, and save them as separate files.

I made another voiceprint doing a better job this time.
LEV: +6db
VP: 90% with level at +6.0db
VP EQ: LM-3db, M-6db, HM-3db, T+3db
EQ: low cut

Here are the 2 recorded tracks...

Old 11-19-2022, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Bob, thanks for sharing your experiences and sound samples. I love my VPDI as it sounds great live and I can run the three instruments I play in the average gig through one channel just by clicking through their individual voice prints.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:30 AM

Sounds good, Bob ...I like the retakes.

As a recording hack and fellow experimenter, I also found that recording a direct source and mic (Focusrite 2i2 here) works great. Apply whatever effects you want on either channel, pan and adjust levels, and apply to different parts of the song. Go nuts; the creative possibilities are endless! Enjoy, sir!

Edward
Old 11-22-2022, 05:37 AM

Ok, here are my impressions...

when bypassed, it sounds a lot better coming out of my EV Evolve 30M speakers than it does through my recording interface. With the voiceprint on, it sounds a lot better through my recording interface, and a little better through my EV Evolve 30M speakers.

Pros...
Makes the guitar sound a lot more natural for recording
Makes the guitar sound a little more natural live
Easy to set up voiceprints
Portable and seems pretty rugged
Can control via phone (which is also a con)

Cons...
No battery or phantom power
Wish more settings could be controlled on the unit itself

This unit does take most of the pickup sound out for recording and also sounds good through a PA, but I can get just about as good of a sound using a preamp (like the venue DI) through a PA. I also have a Headrush Gigboard that I use for my electric. I setup a rig on that with similar EQ as the voiceprint, and was able to get a very good sound through the PA. In addition, I can add effects to that with the headrush, and if I want the best recorded sound, I can just use my Rode NT4 mic.

It was cool to play around with the voiceprint, but it has gone back to Sweetwater. I even told them before I ordered it that I was not sure if I would be keeping it or not.

It's a good unit, just not for my usage.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Thanks for your candor, Bob! I use the Venue and like you, can get good, pretty natural acoustic tone through any decent console and PA. The VP sounds like a good tool, perhaps more for folks who want to achieve specific tones for specific projects. But for simply a live gig and credible tone, I too prefer the simplest and most direct path.

Edward
Old 11-23-2022, 01:25 PM

Bob,

If you want some IRs for your Headrush, send me a recording and I'll generate them for you. It appears I can't download the recordings above and I can't tell if they were made at the same time. Otherwise 30 seconds of open strumming (ideally pickup left, mic right, but I can fix that too) is all I need.

Given what I heard in your recordings, I am surprised it went back...

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-23-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Bob,

If you want some IRs for your Headrush, send me a recording and I'll generate them for you. It appears I can't download the recordings above and I can't tell if they were made at the same time. Otherwise 30 seconds of open strumming (ideally pickup left, mic right, but I can fix that too) is all I need.

Given what I heard in your recordings, I am surprised it went back...
Thank you for the offer, but I traded the Headrush and got an HX Stomp yesterday.

As far as returning the voiceprint goes, I realized that it's main strength is for recording, and even though I can get a little bit better sound through my PA speakers, I still get a darn good sound through a multi effects pedal, plus the option to add effects, and save it all in a preset. So that leaves recording, and since I have a Rode NT4 mic, that would be a better choice for recording.

So no real need (for me) having the voiceprint.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:24 AM

The reason I wrote an IR generator in the first place was to support my HX Stomp. I did not want to have to ask Cuki every time I changed out a pickup or guitar. After I went public with my IR generator he did the same.

The Stomp has a very capable 2048 IR loader. The latest firmware update is reported to reduce the computational load of the IR block to a third of what it used to be. You can add IRs to the Stomp now with careless abandon :~).

I would love to hear your demo with my IR as an option against the Baggs. If your demo pickup and mic recordings above were made at the same time, all you need to do is send them to me as .wav files and I'll send you back an IR.

Jon Fields
Old 11-26-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The reason I wrote an IR generator in the first place was to support my HX Stomp. I did not want to have to ask Cuki every time I changed out a pickup or guitar. After I went public with my IR generator he did the same.

The Stomp has a very capable 2048 IR loader. The latest firmware update is reported to reduce the computational load of the IR block to a third of what it used to be. You can add IRs to the Stomp now with careless abandon :~).

I would love to hear your demo with my IR as an option against the Baggs. If your demo pickup and mic recordings above were made at the same time, all you need to do is send them to me as .wav files and I'll send you back an IR.
Thanks again, but I am seriously considering giving up on acoustic guitars all together, and selling my OM-28 to a friend of mine. It just sits in the case 99% of the time, because I am playing my American Ultra Luxe Strat.

I am too compulsive with acoustic guitars, and I can't even begin to tell you how much money I have waisted buying, trading, exchanging, and selling them. I'm just never satisfied with them, and I don't think I ever will be.

Thank you though for the offer though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification