The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-07-2022, 12:49 PM

Some thoughts:
  • If you intend to use the factory UST bridge as a secondary source with a magnetic pickup, you'll need to have a new lefty-compensated top made - and that could get expensive;
  • You'll likely need a pickguard if you're going to use a floating CC pickup (unless you're going to drill the top for controls, which defeats the whole purpose of this type of instrument) - and the factory item isn't reversible;
  • A Frequensator tailpiece very often requires an extra-long D string (38" minimum wound length as I recall - FYI Epiphone used to sell dedicated sets of this type during their New York era) - keep this in mind when choosing a string set after you mount yours - and keep an eye on the "hooks" that hold the individual trapeze portions, as they have a tendency to split over time;
  • Since the input box will now be at the top rather than the bottom of the lower bout, a right-angle plug will provide less of an obstacle while playing - unless you intend to have it removed/remounted and the resulting hole filled and finished, IMO a prohibitive expense on an instrument of this type...
Good luck...
Old 09-07-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Some thoughts:[LIST][*]If you intend to use the factory UST bridge as a secondary source with a magnetic pickup, you'll need to have a new lefty-compensated top made - and that could get expensive;
I see the interest of a new top, but not how that would be any more crucial for using the UST?

Quote:
[*]A Frequensator tailpiece very often requires an extra-long D string (38" minimum wound length as I recall
The Thomastik strings may be long enough, but there is always the option to reuse a piece of old E or B treble. Pass through the "ball" end of the recipient string then loop through the own ball end, twist around itself, and voila. Of course that assumes this doesn't null the supposed effect of the frequensator.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:44 PM

Thanks Steve as always awesome information

I was going to spin the top of the top of the compensated bridge round and drop it back on the bridge posts, an then re position for inotation I've not messed with one of these before so not sure if that's possible or not. On a les paul the abr popped off the posts.

If I do that though will the compensation be out though just been thinking bout it, might be a tricky one as it doesn't look like anyone does lefty ones unless it was an abr, I did see a benedetto blank though on Stewmac which I'm guessing I could always mod. I'll have to pop a luthier an email tomorrow.

Yep I'm planning on a loaded pickguard and floating Charlie Christian pickup with the controls mounted on the pickguard would be a shame to cut into the top in any way

An yep got a angled lead from my les paul which has saved any mishaps the good thing is the lead location isn't right at the top at least.

I'll make sure to keep that in mind on the string guages Steve just umming and ahing a bit over what to get in the morning string wise can't wait to play it lefty though!

A few guys mentioned a couple of strings that are OK with the frequensator n long scale length on instagram I'll have look it back up and report back

Took close up of the bridge in its current guise

Also found this an official epi video on the bridge I'll have to make sure I'm careful with it tomorrow.
So I don't break the shadow.
https://youtu.be/I0btnhtMEoM

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 09-07-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
I was going to spin the top of the top of the compensated bridge round and drop it back on the bridge posts, an then re position for inotation
You'd have to spin it and turn it upside down to get the saddle in the correct angle for a lefty. That won't work of course, so you'll have to angle the whole bridge to find the correct compensation. Hopefully not by so much that fit to the top becomes an issue. You're lucky your bridge doesn't have the finer compensation for a wound G string; flipping that to make a lefty would not work.

NB: if the saddle isn't slotted I wouldn't even bother flipping it, as it may not fit as well on the posts in the reverse orientation.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:51 PM

Thanks RJVB this young padawan has a lot to learn makes sense now you have explained it just started reading about the bridges in my books right now skipped a few chapters n left a marker.

I was just looking at the shadow website looks like you can get the pickup part of the nanoflex without the preamp as a spare part which isn't to expensive if I ended up getting a custom bridge made.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
this young padawan has a lot to learn ]
Just don't start calling me master, ok?

How long have you been playing guitar? I know it's common with acoustic guitar that left-handed people go for lefty guitars but I understand this is not the case for classical guitar, a strict exception with bowed instruments, and probably simply impossible with piano.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you haven't been playing already for years you could try to see how you manage playing the guitar righthanded. It's not like either hand needs finer control, just different movements.
(but read the bit about Reinhard Goebel here!).
Old 09-07-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I see the interest of a new top, but not how that would be any more crucial for using the UST?...
Intonation, as you stated in one of your later posts...
Old 09-07-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Intonation, as you stated in one of your later posts...
Ah, you meant the saddle... or at least that's what my later posts were about!
Old 09-07-2022, 05:48 PM

I've been playing for a while on blues stuff n I've got an avri 56 lefty strat that I love to bits mainly for shadows stuff the Jazz playing is really new to me The lefty Gretsch I got is my main guitar now infact I've actually not touched my Strat since I've got it! I've got a finger injury to two of my fingers on my left hand which makes fretting painful hence never trying to do it righty n I'm a pure lefty in everything I do so it's left handed guitar for good

Thanks again Steve for pointing out something I'd Missed!

I've been reading my Benedetto book an I might actually have a go at making a new bridge could be an Interesting place to start to learn to do some woodworking for guitars just been looking at bits on Stew mac I'm gonna get a spare nanoflex part n keep it in the case ready for when I tackle it hopefully tomorrow I can ball park it so at least it's usable with the guitar the right way round for us lefties. Least it's good skills if I ever fulfil the dream of a NY Epi!
Old 09-07-2022, 09:43 PM

Why a frequensator?
Old 09-07-2022, 10:49 PM

Hi Loco I'm styling it after a 1945 Epiphone Triumph I played which has the same fretboard markers and featured a Frequensator tail piece also looks a bit more period + they are meant to emphasise the highs and the lows and you can swap the forks around which will help balance it out a bit if needs be with the lefty reversal with the bracing being offset, I got to play two broadways over the past few weeks with the forks in both positions an there was a noticeable difference to my ears anyway it looks like the modern one has drawn inspiration from a 1930s Deluxe and a 1940s Triumph

https://dutcharchtopguitarmuseum.nl/...ne-tailpieces/

https://dutcharchtopguitarmuseum.nl/.../triumph56593/

https://dutcharchtopguitarmuseum.nl/.../triumph15211/

https://dutcharchtopguitarmuseum.nl/...xe/deluxe6104/
Old 09-09-2022, 10:31 AM

Made some good progress today! She's playing lefty woop!

Some pics of the bridge assy to help anyone in the future.

Few things took a lil bit of sorting out with the fretboard angle the new nut I got didn't have enough height on the Treble side I've got a new nut with enough meat on it to allow me to get the string height correct at the nut.

I've cheekily shimmed it one side so I could sus out whether I was going to have an issue with the inotation at the bridge. At first I thought I had but after swapping the insert round and discovering my tuner had jammed on the wrong mode! Oops I dialed the inotation it pretty well, I've got a lefty compensated tusq acoustic insert coming on Monday that I'm going to modify to nail 💅 the inotation perfect. So for any other lefties thinking about it it can be done ^__^

Once ive got the new nut I'm gonna pull the action up a bit, also I can't get used to the strings! Need something semi flatwound with doing legato and glisando's an fun stuff! The finger noise isn't to bad acoustic but with the shadow Peizo it's a bit to much when sliding.

This clip was with Elixir Nanoweb 12-53 phospher bronze

https://youtu.be/G19ynOC0o1k

Old 09-09-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
...Need something semi flatwound for doing legato and glissandos and fun stuff! The finger noise isn't too bad acoustically, but with the Shadow piezo it's a bit too much when sliding...
Depending on whether you're going to install a magnetic pickup or not, either of these should be just what you're after:

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...osphor-bronze/
https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...l-half-rounds/

You might also consider the Martin Retro Monels, a true roundwound acoustic set with a slinky feel and magnetic properties (phosphor bronze and 80/20 aren't magnetic and really can't be used with the CC pickup you mentioned in prior posts). Until LaBella developed flatwounds circa 1940 these were the string of choice for the first generation of prewar electric guitarists, and will give your guitar some real vintage tonal vibe in both electric and acoustic modes; the only caveat is that you'll need to play them long and hard for the first week or so to break them in, but the good news is that they're very long-lasting and, once they settle in, don't lose their tone - and the additional tension compared to a PB or 80/20 set will drive the top harder for a stronger (and mellower) acoustic tone:

https://www.martinguitar.com/strings...oustic-strings
Old 09-09-2022, 07:38 PM

+1 on the Martin Retro Monels. I have them on my '34 Triumph, and they are great. I enjoy them on some flat tops, too.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:01 AM

Thanks Steve and Loco as always brilliant information I'll give those a whirl I'll start with the Martin Monels first vintage is always good! Got a set of Half Rounds on the way as well

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 09-10-2022 at 02:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops