The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Default Greenridge Guitars PICTURES ADDED

Has anyone played a guitar built by Todd Stock? I am considering trading my prized 000 for an 00-2S built by him. The pictures look lovely and I am going to play the guitar tomorrow.

Thanks,

Wayne

Last edited by olfatty; 05-08-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Pictures added
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM

I've never played one of Todds guitars, and I've never met him in person but, Todd is an online friend of mine. He's really smart, and he's a super nice guy.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:11 AM

Default Greenridge

I got the guitar and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 05-08-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfatty View Post
I got the guitar and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Wayne
We want pictures
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Went to his site; obviously "under construction," but I found it curious no basics were there that I could find, like: how to order; a basic price list (where does he fall in terms of other hand-builders?); styles/sizes he would build; in-stock wood choices; gallery; etc.

Without getting into the exact price, what pix did you look at? Any "bling" or upgrades and maybe a price range? Thanks!!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 05-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Default Greenridge

I traded my Larrivee 000 50 TSB for it and I think it was a good decision. The fit and finish are superb and it is is a cannon for a small guitar.

Here are the specs and some pics I got from the gentleman I got it from:

And Here are the Specifications:

- Lutz spruce top with Adirondack spruce top bracing & rock maple bridge plate
- Honduras mahogany sides and back with Adirondack spruce back bracing
- Deepened body (4-5/8” depth versus 4-1/8” standard depth)
- One-piece Honduras mahogany slotted headstock with adjustable truss rod
- Traditional diamond volute on modified C-shape neck
- Grover H-97 cast open-back vintage-style nickel plate tuners
- Soundhole-adjustable truss rod
- Greven TorTis light pattern vintage pickguard
- Herringbone top purfling with herringbone three ring rosette
- Flame maple binding, tail graft, and heel cap
- Old, dark, resonant East Indian Rosewood fretboard with mother of pearl position markers and Martin-style angled bottom bone 1-13/16” nut
- Old, dark, resonant East Indian Rosewood belly-style bridge, bone through saddle with ebony/MOP dot pins (2-3/8” pin spacing)
- Nitrocellulose gloss finish on neck and body
- TKL 9100 Series Elite Series arch-top/arch-back hardshell case

I may commission Todd to build me a 0 model one day if he has the time.

Wayne
Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 AM

Wayne

Congrats on the new guitar (and to the person who received such a nice Larrivee). Sounds like a nice compliment to the L05MT. I have played a couple of Todd's guitars and have been really impressed. The 0000 cutaway I saw and played a couple of weeks ago was a beauty. Would love to see yours.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Wayne

I am hazarding a guess that your new 00 is the guitar on the right of the 2 on the porch in the picture on Todd's website.

jeff

http://greenridgeguitars.com/index.html
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Jeff

The guitar is nice. Interestingly enough, traded the 000 TSB back to the guy who sold it to me for the Greenridge Guitar. I think it was a good decision as I could not get use to the flat neck of the 000 TSB. I thought it was the nut but the Greenridge has a 1-13/16 nut as well with a C shaped neck which does not seem to bother my hand.... go figure.

I will show you the guitar whenever you like. I am really enjoying it. I want to raise the action a bit with the truss rod as it buzzes on a few frets but I think I may call Todd to do that as I am a clutz.

Take Care,

Wayne
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Default Pictures

[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Wayne:

Check your PMs and voice mail - talk to you later.

Todd
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Default Greenridge Guitars visit

I visited Todd today to get my guitar set up. He really went all out working with me to make the guitar perfect. He told me to bring it back in a week and we will tweak it again if necessary. He gave me some new & improved Grover tuners (for free), put on a strap button and made me a new bone saddle to raise the action a bit. He leveled and polished the frets filled a small ding on the underside of the fretboard that I hadn't even noticed.

Todd is a great guy and a true perfectionist and it shows in his guitars. I got to play some of his new guitars and they were awesome to say the least. His guitars are some of the nicest I have ever played (and I have played some VERY nice guitars).

I am very happy with my decision to get a Greenridge Guitar. From here on out, Todd Stock is my Luthier.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Wayne,

Gorgeous looking guitar - congrats!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Default Greenridge Guitars visit

Thanks John. I am very happy with the guitar.

Wayne
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 AM

I've trolled the AGF from time to time in guest mode and recently decided to join so I could add to this thread. One can only participate in so many places at once (egad!), but I hope this is somewhat helpful to those with a curiosity on Greenridge Guitars.

I've been luthiery training under Todd for the past few years. I have 30+ years of guitar playing (studied classical starting age 9, played bluegrass from my mid-teens and everything inbetween finger picking). I've also had the good fortune of training under another luthier who has several hundred guitars under his belt. I say that merely to say that I have perspective given two different "teachers".

I have to say that Todd's experience in setup and repair is second to none. Both his engineering background and a life long set of hand tool and process skills in everything from boatbuilding to furniture making come to bear. Everything gets measured in thousandths. His attention to detail is more akin to machinists I've worked with rather than anyone fooling with wood. It shows in his setups and repairs. Todd will spout off measurements for most major instruments off the top of his head. Pretty scary as my brain does not function that way! I've seen everything from old Martins in his shop to rare classical guitars. I suspect people are quickly discovering someone who has his game on when it comes to repair and setup.

As for Todd's guitars, sound is a qualitative thing so I won't comment there (you gotta pick what pleases your ears). Having said that I've played guitars that Todd has made which I'd gladly take home. In the end you gotta play them to like them. But do me a favor, please don't line up at Todd's door as if he gets too busy his student time will have to go down (gee, aren't we selfish!)

Filippo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop