The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-20-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
That's for sure!
Thanks for posting these additional videos, which I had not seen. I now get a better sense of what you mean about the character of the man. He's the real genuine article, and doesn't seem like the type who would suffer fools or fakes for very long. Yet, he would probably be too nice to point it out.
That's one good thing about the modern internet. It gives the young generation (and us) a much better chance to learn about an impactful person they might not have otherwise known much about.
Yes.

It might also be worth putting in a mention for Bert Jansch and John Renbourn, two similarly self-effacing folkie guitar wizards, happy to share their knowledge whenever asked. And possibly even more influential than Carthy - at least on acoustic guitar, if not more broadly on English folk culture (how Carthy won his official recognition). Renbourn used to run regular informal guitar workshops. Jansch never did, although he did give lessons very early in his career, and would always chat happily to anyone who struck up a conversation. Now both are dead - and I admit personal interest here - workshops on Bert's music are run by the BJF: https://bertjanschfoundation.org/workshops - anyone interested is too late for this series, but more will be planned later in the year.

I suspect Martin Carthy might find it amusing - a myopic, tangential distraction - to have classes devoted to one man's guitar technique (however brilliant), rather than the broader topic of folk tradition in itself. Ironically, we run them at Cecil Sharp House too (outside of lockdown)! - but down in the basement where we belong, not up in the hallowed environs of the library on the first floor.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:31 PM

This is a great thread.

Martin Carthy is such a nice bloke, very unassuming. Funny enough, I last saw him in Scarborough (seriously) about six years ago. He was in Waterstones pushing Norma in a wheelchair. It was Christmas and I heard Norma say she wanted a really good book of ghost stories, but something a little more classic, not contemporary. I recommended M.RJames collected short stories and handed her it. They were both very grateful. I've often wondered whether they bought it and whether Norma became an M.R.James convert.

The first time I met him was nearly 30 years ago. I was just getting started on my fingerstyle voyage of discovery and he told me to get a OO size guitar. Which I never did, but there's still time. ��

Thanks a lot for those links, I've not seen most of them.
Cheers
Mike.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:00 PM

I've been tried to buy this tab, which is harder than you might think. Then I saw this thread. Can anyone help me out too?
Cheers
Old 01-30-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeB View Post
I've been tried to buy this tab, which is harder than you might think. Then I saw this thread. Can anyone help me out too?
Cheers
Check your messages!
Old 02-05-2023, 11:09 AM

Just to note I saw Martin last night at The Barbican in London, with Eliza.
This was the rescheduling of his 80th Birthday celebration gig, so it turned out to be his 82nd birthday celebration! I was also at his 60th (Oxford Apollo) and his 70th (Queen Elizabeth Hall, London).

I have to admit, although inevitably frail etc. he was on better form than the last few times I've seen him. He did play a version of Scarborough Fair, complete with sitar and cello accompanyment.

Eliza was, predictably, in astonishing vocal form.
I once found myself sitting beside her on a Yorkshire train and, having seen Martin live the week before in Southwark Cathedral, rather tactlessly blurted out, "He'll die on stage like Tommy Cooper!". I explained rapidly that I meant this as the greatest compliment. I can envise him playing live until he draws his last breath; it's been his entire life and he is a tremendous inspiration to all working musicians of whatever ilk. Long may he continue.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-05-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Check your messages!
Can't find the tab for Martin's version anywhere. Please can someone post the actual tab here? Thanks
Old 03-05-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimlad222 View Post
Can't find the tab for Martin's version anywhere. Please can someone post the actual tab here?
I don't know how to do that. PM me with your email and I'll send a PDF - full transcription with vocal and lyrics, and guitar in both notation and tab. (Sorry I don't do tab only, because I can't follow that.)

(I'll remember to check my private messages if you will. )

The offer applies to anyone here. No charge! (I'll deal with Carthy's legal team if they come knocking... )
Old 03-06-2023, 02:35 AM

It seems a few of you have tried messaging me, but my message box is full! (So much for me checking... )

Sorry about that, I've now cleared some space....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write