The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 08:44 AM

Question Does an OM guitar have an overly bright sound with maple back and sides?

I spotted a Boucher OM style SG-21 with an amazing looking back, it’s part of their “Private Stock Maple” offering, I haven’t seen the price yet but I would imagine that there’s a significant bump in price because of this spectacular looking piece of wood but what about the affect on the guitar’s sound.

Does it necessarily always mean that the guitar will be a lot brighter sounding than say mahogany or rosewood? Maybe there are other factors involved in tamping down that extra high end?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I have the SG-21 which is Adi/Bubinga and it's a great guitar. I believe Robin Boucher and his team have built some Private Stock Maple guitars in maybe three body sizes. But regardless...I doubt seriously it would be too bright. More likely a very articulate guitar with little to no muddiness in the tone. I'd sure love too play one! I have heard that they're pricey?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-31-2023, 08:53 AM

Bright, not necessarily. I have found maple to have a quick or immediate response, but it really depends on the maker or the particular guitar.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 01-31-2023, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

You'll get varied opinions on maple (no surprise, right?). Generally I'm not a fan of maple except on jumbos where (for me) it can really shine. I do find maple sounds overly bright -and thin- to my ears, except when a large body adds extra "oomph". However, Boucher makes fine guitars and if they have experience with a certain stock of maple, they may have a great "recipe". A lot of other factors yield the final result so you'll never know without hearing it.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I can say I have not played a maple b/s flat-top acoustic guitar that ever wowed me. There was a time decades ago I had some wood to build one, but I was going to match it with a [western red] cedar top. (Life took a turn, and that never happened.)

The ones that are mildly successful seem to be the jumbos from Gibson. OTOH, Taylor only makes a few maple b/s guitars (61x series, IIRC - tried a 614ce once and it was really unpleasant to my Martin-leaning ears), and Martin practically zilch.

Maple is certainly easier to source than tropical woods, or at least I'd think so, so it seems there's a general lack of response in the buyer market. That would probably steer me away from a very high $ model, unless it was truly spectacular in sound, or maybe if it was a jazz box, of course.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:28 AM

NO, Maple still gets a bad wrap for how it was used years ago. Some of the very very best guitars I have played have been maple, very well balanced, good bass, not bright. It all depends on what the builder does with it.

Jason Kostal built Michael Watt's his main guitar, guess what, it is maple and sounds amazing. One of the most balanced, beautiful sounding guitar I have, is a quilted maple from Steve Kinnaird, it is anything but overly bright.

This stereotype of maple being too bright kind of drives me nuts.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
I spotted a Boucher OM style SG-21 with an amazing looking back, it’s part of their “Private Stock Maple” offering, I haven’t seen the price yet but I would imagine that there’s a significant bump in price because of this spectacular looking piece of wood but what about the affect on the guitar’s sound.

Does it necessarily always mean that the guitar will be a lot brighter sounding than say mahogany or rosewood? Maybe there are other factors involved in tamping down that extra high end?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Talk is cheap, so here's a pair of maple & red spruce guitars that I own, just playing into an iPhone. You can make up your own mind, but they're both smaller than a typical OM, and shallow bodied to boot with a standard scale of 24.9"

HE
Old 01-31-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
Bright, not necessarily. I have found maple to have a quick or immediate response, but it really depends on the maker or the particular guitar.
+1: my wife has an '80s maple/spruce Guild F-20 that sounds like a 16" archtop with more sustain - punchy, prominent midrange, strong projection, not bright or strident in the least, and an ideal acoustic lead instrument that'll be heard over a roomful of dreads...
Old 01-31-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Does an OM guitar have an overly bright sound with maple back and sides?

Not necessarily. As others have pointed out, depending on how the guitar is built, you can get great sound from this combination.

- Glenn
Old 01-31-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

No. My Waterloo WL-12 won't be mistaken for a dread, but it's not bright at all to my ears. It's balanced, very loud and punchy but not bright.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:21 PM

I have a Boucher OM SG-161 with the private stock flamed maple which, I suspect, is the one you are referring to (pics are of mine). Bright? Yes it is brighter than my rosewood and mahogany Martins but definitely not overly so. It is loud, it is equally responsive across all strings, and it rings forever. Price wise, I am not sure how much more mine was compared to "normal" maple but I suspect it is a $500 upgrade, maybe more?

If you can try one, definitely go for it and see if it'd be for you. Also note that it is a hybrid and not a "true" OM as Boucher took the best of the OM and of the 000 and combined them to make this one (and all of it suits me to a T).

Last edited by Daniel Grenier; 01-31-2023 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I have a deep body 00 with maple.
Sounds fantastic. Loud, direct, clean, and rounded.
I don’t think it sounds bright.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
No. My Waterloo WL-12 won't be mistaken for a dread, but it's not bright at all to my ears. It's balanced, very loud and punchy but not bright.
Came here to say exactly this. My WL-12 has lots of Gibson-esque mids, and clear trebles. The bass is "tight" in the way electric guitarists use the term, but it's not an especially bright-sounding guitar at all. I think the top has a lot to do with the overall warmth, as well.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

It all depends upon the builder... "In general", facotry built maple guitars can tend towards thin and overly bright...

However, EVERY maple guitar I've played from small shop or solo builders have been nearly the polar opposite of the "norm" that one hears when speaking of a maple sides and back acoustic guitar...

In 1979, Mark Angus built me my #35... run-of-the-mill maple back and sides with a Black Forest German spruce top, Florentine cutaway. Nothing fancy, as I could barely afford a "base-line" model. I asked Mark to build me a great "Workingman's guitar", and he delivered in spades! #35 was **** near a perfect guitar for me, and I played it (professionally), wrote with it, recorded with it, traveled with it - for the next 40 years!!!

I would suspect that a Boucher would fall into the latter category of which I spoke...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-31-2023, 01:21 PM

I have tried and bought, and give away many maple guitars.

Let's say, in general, I am not a fan of maple guitar.

While the sound is bright and clear, it lacks colour. The bright tone is just like a flash of blank water. The middle and bass are short live at best if there are any middle or bass at all. The entire guitar is suffocated and sounds like its short on breath.

I can imagine flamenco guitarists liking this wood because they want a piercing and quick ending sound. But otherwise, if you love the sound quality of mahogany then maple wont do. Rosewood is way superior is all respects.

A great luthier can change the tonal quality of the wood, but I doubt he or she can make a maple guitar sound the same as a rosewood or cocobolo guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion