The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2023, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Lumafusion - on iPad and M1 Macbook Pro.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-30-2023, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

All the entries are in up until this point.
(I post this so I know where to pick this up again after more people chime in)
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-30-2023, 08:05 PM

Final Cut whenever possible, Premiere if a client insists on Adobe
Old 01-31-2023, 12:16 PM

I am using Davinci Resolve, since it handles Cinema 4k dng raw files.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:28 PM

I use Vegas, just because it's the first editor I tried.

Having recently learned about Davinci Resolve, I am going to try and switch to that next time I have a project.

I also own LumaFusion from back when it briefly went free or cheap... It should be pretty capable on my iPad Pro, but honestly I find everything about doing "real work" in an iPad to be slow and irritating compared to a desktop OS.

I only need to do a video about once a year so I pretty much have to re-learn the editor every time. I kind of hate video editing, honestly.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

All the replies have been added to the list.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-31-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
And not a single person has mentioned DaVinci Resolve, which not only is hugely popular in the video editing community but also has a highly evolved free version that is more than most people need, y'know, unless you're ingesting 4K Raw or want the auto tracking selections and magic masking, in which case you get the paid $300 Studio version. And it comes with a very robust audio section powered by Fairlight, and it has the ability to be fully color managed as well.
I'm pretty new to video editing, and I'm moving from ShotCut Pro to DaVinci Resolve. The major issue with DaVinci is that it requires a decent GPU. I just build a new system with an 8GB GPU, primarily for DaVinci. Apparently, however, it can use as much video RAM as you can through at it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-14-2023, 09:47 AM

I am using Movavi. It's very user-friendly, and I appreciate the easy-to-use interface it offers.

Things like motion tracking, green screen editing, and syncing Separately Recorded Audio and Video have really come in handy for my personal projects.

Overall, I've had a good experience with it. You can read more about Movavi movie maker features on their site.

Last edited by djlettierimx; 08-16-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:00 PM

Default Cakewalk Pro Audio Producers Edition 3

Still works!!!
Old 08-16-2023, 08:45 PM

DaVinci Resolve. And there are tons of good instructional videos to teach you the tough parts. I find it very powerful and intuitive; and it's free!!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-17-2023, 12:59 AM

Shortcut and nice and simple Windows Movie Maker which I used for my last video........

https://youtube.com/watch?v=l2cSSJuX4O0&feature=share8

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 08-27-2023, 10:07 PM

I've been using Lightworks. Free but with upgrade you get extra effects and functionality. Tons of youtube video tutorials.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I've never tried mixing audio in Lightworks although I do record solo living room performances for youtube. I'm sure there is a way to do it and if not, one can probably export the audio to another software for mixing and import back into Lightworks. Just haven't needed to doctor any audio yet.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:00 AM

People have different needs for video editing. My music related videos are fairly basic and yet specific. I'm not photogenic so I'm not looking for promotional videos that show off my good looks and stage presence. I spend a whole lot of time in reading, research, composing music, recording etc with my Parlando Project, so I don't take the time or focus to learn video editing software.

my youtube video channel: link here

My specific needs and areas of focus:
  • My videos tend to be short, like my compositions, sub 5 minutes.
  • I don't need multiple camera support so far, nor do I need picture in picture or most other special effects.
  • Access to stock footage, pictures is nice to have.
  • I don't create higher than regular full HD videos. Yes I know 4k is a thing, but I expect my videos to be seen on mobile devices not on large screen hires TVs etc.
  • Since my work relates to literary poetry, text and subtitle handling is highly important.

At my YouTube channel, the earliest videos were done with Windows Movie Maker, which is now old, obsolete, and off the market. It was reliable for me and actually had fine text handllng. Slow to render, but with short pieces I tolerated that. Easy to learn even if short on features by modern standards.

Most of my lyric videos were done with Apple iMovie. It was free, does a great job with "Ken Burns effect" scrolling on pictures (something I do a lot) and was easy to learn. Decent rendering speed. Text handling is basic, worse than the ancient Windows Movie Maker, but as you can see, I worked around that. I had several, very annoying reliability issues including crashes with lost work and refusal to do final renders with my up to date 2019 I7 16 gig RAM Mac Mini. Older versions actually ran more reliably (if slower) on my ancient 2011 i5 Mac Mini.

After my iMovie adventure in 2022 when I did a lot of lyric videos, I got a subscription to Cyberlnk PowerDirector, but haven't had as many hours working with it. It's a constant PC Mag review winner, and it is full-featured, offers access to stock footage and graphics, has good text handling, and renders very fast. It will even do pretty darn good automatic subtitles "listening" to your audio. In my limited use however, I find it hard to learn (given my lack of focus on video). It should be able to do the "Ken Burns" but I haven't been able to get it to work the way I want, despite viewing some online tutorials.

I currently have no personal recommendation for video editing software as of yet. As you can see from the above, I use both MacOS and Windows. I may try something beyond PowerDirector next year, or just buckle down and try to learn what I need to do in PowerDirector.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-28-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Final Cut Pro for most editing/assembling. DaVinci Resolve for color grading.

In the interest of full disclosure, I went & bought the full version of Resolve & gave up on Final Cut Pro. Resolve has impressed me a lot.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD