The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-29-2023, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I'm reviving this thread because I just saw a raging debate on another forum about this. I didn't realize this was such a polarizing issue among Gibson players. It seems a lot of them are ready to whip out their keyboards and duel you to the death over this.

I also didn't realize it had a name - "top wrapped" or "top wrapping," and screwing the studs all the way down was referred to as "decking" the tailpiece (which could get confusing if you're talking to Fender tremolo users).

There was a claim on that forum that the original Les Pauls were shipped with the strings wrapped over the tailpiece. It would be interesting to know whether that's true or not. Anybody got any old Gibson advertising materials?
Old 01-29-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I'm reviving this thread because I just saw a raging debate on another forum about this. I didn't realize this was such a polarizing issue among Gibson players. It seems a lot of them are ready to whip out their keyboards and duel you to the death over this.

I also didn't realize it had a name - "top wrapped" or "top wrapping," and screwing the studs all the way down was referred to as "decking" the tailpiece (which could get confusing if you're talking to Fender tremolo users).

There was a claim on that forum that the original Les Pauls were shipped with the strings wrapped over the tailpiece. It would be interesting to know whether that's true or not. Anybody got any old Gibson advertising materials?
Hey Pappy,
Yes that is in fact true of early 50’s GoldTop Lesters. The stop bar also doubled as the guitars’ bridge at that time. The accompanying picture from SWEETWATER is showcasing a replica 1954 model. Just a cool eight grand and it could be yours, Pappy! I’ll stick with my little Studio, thank you very much.😹

The idea of wrapping a tailpiece after the introduction of the intonation adjustable bridge I think was when folks realized how little the posts were screwed into the body. For want of a more solid connection, the posts were tightened down and then the strings had to be wrapped not to be laying on the back edge of the bridge. Just my thoughts. There may very well be other reasons I am not aware of.

frank d.

1D413B88-F3DC-4F33-B075-EB641942E019.jpg
Old 01-29-2023, 12:29 PM

Just as an aside, I grabbed the LP Studio out of the closet and bent and stretched those Fender 150 10’s to my hearts content this morning, having had the house to myself a few hours, getting to play in soulful abandon.

I can say I had no tuning abnormalities arise with the top wrap on the stop bar. Is it better or worse in any measurable way than running the strings straight through and to the bridge? I couldn’t answer that. All I can say is that the studs on my guitar are tight against the body and I have no more concern that they will accidentally be pulled out, being held by only a few threads as they were before.
fd

1AAD00AF-8CB2-497B-9FCF-D2D96A689366.jpg
Old 01-29-2023, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Frank, I've got a Les Paul just like that 1954 replica . . . . . . . . . . except that mine is a Studio model, was made in 2011, and has the tune-o-matic bridge. Oh, and mine was about $7,200 cheaper than that one.

So, basically, mine is the same thing except completely different.

Last edited by GoPappy; 01-29-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Frank, I've got a Les Paul just like that 1954 replica . . . . . . . . . . except that mine is a Studio model, was made in 2011, and has the tune-o-matic bridge. Oh, and mine was about $7,200 cheaper than that one.

So, basically, mine is the same thing except completely different.

That’s very funny, Pappy😂😹😂!! I like the way you roll.
fd
Old 01-30-2023, 07:39 PM

Hey Frank, one of the big problems with the Studio is the use of the Nashville bridge instead of a vintage style ABR. The Nashville bridge is wider and so the strings hit the back of the bridge so you've got to raise the tailpiece to clear the back of the bridge, or do what you did and topwrap. My opinion on top wrapping is "if it feels good, do it". It didn't "feel" right on my Heritage H150 guitars so I just changed the Nashville bridge for a vintage style Faber ABR, which I think both look and sound better, and for good measure, I bought the matching lightweight tone-loc tailpiece too...

https://faberusa.com/product-categor...hville-bridge/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars