The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-13-2023, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender 68 Vibro champ reverb reissue PROBLEM

Hi all…

My five watt practice amp, which I kind of love, after seeing no use for six weeks, today is on the fritz. It works fine with reverb set to zero. Any turning up of the reverb knob makes the sound lose power and hiss.

Even if nothing is plugged in, the amp is quiet until you start applying reverb. Then the same deal… loss of power and loud hiss.

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2023, 07:50 PM

Is it a tube powered reverb tank, Sal? That’s what it sounds like to me. If in fact that is what it is, it’s an easy quick fix.

frank d.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

First thought: check the leads from the amp to the reverb tank. Either could be disconnected and at either the amp to tank end. Next, substitute a known-good 12ax7 for the reverb driver/recovery tube. No change? Now we are going deeper. The lines within the reverb tank could be broken. You'll need to unplug the tank, paying attention to how the leads are connected, remove the two screws through the bag containing the tank, and pull it out. Remove the tank from the bag and look at those tiny leads that go from connector to driver and connector to pickup (at each end of the reverb spring assembly). If broken and you are good with a soldering iron, you can re-solder it. Another option is to replace it.

Back up a step: is this thing in warranty? If so, find the nearest warranty center and advance token thereunto, post haste. Do not insert fingers, do not pass Go.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-13-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Is it a tube powered reverb tank, Sal? That’s what it sounds like to me. If in fact that is what it is, it’s an easy quick fix...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
First thought: check the leads from the amp to the reverb tank...
This one's a digi-verb, guys - no springs until you step up to the Princeton...
Old 01-14-2023, 08:55 AM

Looking at a Reverb listing for a chassis only sale, there is a daughter card with a significant integrated circuit surface mounted on it. That is probably the hall reverb chip.

https://reverb.com/item/50340034-fen...b-chassis-only

This is likely not a do-it-yourself friendly kind of repair. If it is under warranty I would take it to Fender.

The only possible home repair option is that the connector to the board got oxidized enough that the signal does not pass to or from it. The Reverb picture does not have enough resolution to determine the type of connector, but possibly spraying it with some contact cleaner might bring it to life.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-14-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Dropped it for warranty repair. Unfortunately, a two month wait. Oh well! Thanks gents.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars